• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norwalk - Forest & Field's (10/2/09)

Douglas in CT

imported post

Hi Everybody,
Had the opportunity to stop over at the Forest & Field's gun shop in Norwalk today. So, I went in to look around and, FWIW was carrying concealed at the time.

Started talking to a customer about Open Carry in CT (look at your carry permit, what does it say?) and the owner started challenging me saying that he knew the law and that I was wrong, and that I should open carry over at the nearby Dunkin Donuts and see how fast I get arrested, and obviously I could afford the legal bills and jail time.

Then, an employee (retired policeman 32 yrs on job) jumped in saying that if he were still on the street and I was showing my pistol he'd arrest me immediately.

I countered by asking for his probable cause, and he mentioned breaking the carry law and Breach of Peace. I then told him that that the BOP charge would be thrown out, and showed the owner the John Dasher letter (2/24/09) pointing to the last paragraph.

Things were a bit tense on their part, and I told them that I wasn't there for a verbal fight. I was still recuperating from a bad cold, so I wasn't up to continuing the discussion and decided to leave and bid them a good day.

Bottom Line:
a) I was less than impressed with the reception of the information I was presenting.

b) I realized that I need some coaching (sales training) on how to present this good news in a smooth, logical format (with answers to false arguments) that doesn't challenge their need to be "right".

~ Douglas in CT
(edited for typos and clarity)

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

That is to bad that a gun store owner is so wrong when it comes to the laws of the state that he does business in.
It would be smart for him and his ex Leo employee to do some research and learn the truth.Which I am sure will not happen!!! "There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Hef

imported post

That's the shop behind Levine's auto parts store, right by the Metro-North railroad tracks, right?

If so, I've open carried my 1911 in their parking lot, but I didn't go in (due to time constraints). I did have one black guy who I believe was an employee (might have been wearing a store shirt IIRC) give me the stink eye when he went to the little Italian place next to Levine's for a drink.

How sad. Even the gun owners (not all, mind you) in CT are sheep.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Not all of us are sheep as can be seen here "CCDL Family Picnic"

http://www.ccdl.us/photo-gallery/category/5

Many people OCing...I know for a fact that many carry openly daily (I DO).

As law abiding citizen's of Connecticut, it is all of our jobs, whether we CC or OC, to tell as many people as we can, that OC is legal!! Carry proof with you to show the disbelievers.

It is a terrible fact that many in the gun industry have NO IDEA what the real laws are. These people are doing a great disservice to their own community (gun owners).

KenBGlock19

imported post

Further reason that I do NOT go to that shop to buy my toys. I think you did quite well, Douglas...you can fix a lot of things, but you cannot fix stupid people!