• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a Bank?

jsfrederick

imported post

I'm driving home from the shooting range tonight and realize I need to stop by the bank. My branch is open late and it's on the way home so I decide to stop. I get out of the car and head toward the door. As I reach into my back pocket for my wallet, I realize I am still carrying my weapon in a holster on my hip. :shock: Hmmm........maybe that's not a great idea. I don't know if the bank personnel will understand that I'm no threat. Anyway I decided to go home and try the bank tomorrow.

Has anyone OC'd in a bank?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jsfrederick wrote:
I'm driving home from the shooting range tonight and realize I need to stop by the bank. My branch is open late and it's on the way home so I decide to stop. I get out of the car and head toward the door. As I reach into my back pocket for my wallet, I realize I am still carrying my weapon in a holster on my hip. :shock: Hmmm........maybe that's not a great idea. I don't know if the bank personnel will understand that I'm no threat. Anyway I decided to go home and try the bank tomorrow.

Has anyone OC'd in a bank?
1. welcome to OCDO!
2. Many of us do.. it is really up to your bank.
3. The "search" tool at the top of the page is your friend. Questions like your get asked (and answered) on a regular basis.
Ed

altajava

imported post

I OC once a week at the local BB&T to cash my paycheck. I donot have an account with them.I had been going in the lobby once a week for over a year before I started to OC and they were used to seeing me. If they are not used to seeing you, good luck trying to OC atyour local BB&T.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

altajava wrote:
I OC once a week at the local BB&T to cash my paycheck. I donot have an account with them.I had been going in the lobby once a week for over a year before I started to OC and they were used to seeing me. If they are not used to seeing you, good luck trying to OC atyour local BB&T.
Around Sterling, BB&T's are posted.

altajava

imported post

Yes they are but as I said, I had established a relationship with the people that work there. When I started to OC there were a couple of:what:but no one said a word. They know me by name and I'm not even a customer!

When I started to OC I started tolook for signs. When they post a brown sign on the inside ofa tinted window waist high, how much do they realy mean it?

Hendu024

imported post

I OC'd into Navy Federal on Newtown Rd 3 or 4 times before I was politely asked not to do it. Nobody freaked out or made a big deal out of it, but the branch manager told me that they only allow LEO's to carry in there. :banghead:

richarcm

imported post

I OC at my local Credit Union service center all the time and nobody seems to care at all. Of course they are also fully protected by 2" of bullet proof glass. I'm sure that helps calm any irrational fears they may have....

richarcm

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
I OC'd into Navy Federal on Newtown Rd 3 or 4 times before I was politely asked not to do it. Nobody freaked out or made a big deal out of it, but the branch manager told me that they only allow LEO's to carry in there. :banghead:
You would think that the Navy Federal might be a bit more forgiving of personal freedoms than other institutions.

altajava

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
You would think that the Navy Federal might be a bit more forgiving of personal freedoms than other institutions.
One would hope but the DOD is part of the Fed so you never know.

Hendu024

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
That's pretty much what I thought too. Guess you learn something new every day.

Xeni

imported post

To the OP:

No law on the books says you can't and I did it all the time when I had an account with BOA. I've since transferred my accounts to credit unions and do all my banking online now (USAA/PenFed) but see no issue with OC at a bank.

BB&T is posted (my dad was asked to leave once). So, just keep an eye out for signs and don't make a big deal of it. If you act nervous or otherwise attract negative attention you'll be asked to leave and probably get a sign put up.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I OC in Bank of America and Suntrust on a regular basis. Never a problem. There was an attempted hold up at a Suntrust some time ago and an OCer was standing in line. The would-be robber took one look at the OCer in line for a teller and disappeared.

POOF!

I think banks appreciate OCers. If you were there to commit a crime, they would have PLENTY of photosand live camera footage of you doing it.

When I take my kids to the bank when they do their business, I sit in a chair and count the cameras. it passes the time.

Semper Paratus!
msc

MSC 45ACP

imported post

OCd today right before closing at Bank of America. VERY crowded lobby.A few double-takes from customers, but the tellers and bank officers know me and always smile and say hello.