• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in ones car?

sambnra

imported post

I have a CCW from Pa. and one from Fla. which is good thru-out many states. I'm not clear on what sort of a permit I would need to "open carry" in my vehicle? Any thoughts? Thanks...:)

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

First off, there's no such thing as a "CCW from Pa." Pennsylvania issues a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). An LTCF is required to:

a.Carry a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun concealed.

b. Carry one of the above, loaded or unloaded, accessible, in a vehicle.

c. Carry one of the above, open or concealed, in Philadelphia.

d. Carry one of the above during a declared state of emergency.

I believe the second reason stated is the one you're looking for.

Steve in PA

imported post

There is no difference between "open carry" or "concealed carry" inside a vehicle. You need to have a LTCF to have the firearm on you, or loaded anywhere in the vehicle.

It can be concealed on you or in the glove compartment. Or, it can be worn openly on you, or sitting on the seat next to you.

Either way, you need the LTCF.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

All,

I am planning on going to a bowling tourney in PA and I have a PA LTCF, VA CCF, and a NH Pistol/Revolver License. I know VA and PA has reciprocity. My question is when I get to the bowling alley, will I be OK to lock my handgun in my vehicle (that is in the parking lot)? Can I CC or OCin a restaurant that sells alcohol? Are there any Do's and Don'tsI should be aware of? Thanks in advance!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

Smurfologist

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Nothing illegal about locking your handgun in your vehicle. I wouldn't recommend laying it on the front seat and locking the doors, though.

Nothing likewise illegal about CCing or OCing in a restaurant that sells alcohol.

Sounds great. I am always hesitant about any kind of carry when I am in unfamiliar territory. Wow, I like the CC or OC in places that sell alcohol in PA. Is there any issue if you have a cold one while OCing or CCing (I am only curious, not that I have any plans to do so)? They are working on that in VA. Thanks for the info, Statkowski!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Again, nothing illegal about having a cold one while CC or OC. Of course, the barkeep (or whomever) might have a word or three on the subject (it is his/her establishment, and he/she/it sets the rules).

If you want to get totally plastered while carrying, it's not illegal. It's not wise, but it's not illegal.

Smurfologist

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Again, nothing illegal about having a cold one while CC or OC. Of course, the barkeep (or whomever) might have a word or three on the subject (it is his/her establishment, and he/she/it sets the rules).

If you want to get totally plastered while carrying, it's not illegal. It's not wise, but it's not illegal.

Sounds great. Oh, and one more question: Do you have to inform LEOs when you are "under arms" if you get pulled over? Thanks in advance!