Thread: "Have a solution to gun violence? Let's talk."

Post imported post

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...1097/COLUMNIST

"Your editorial will generate letters from several bubbas who will proclaim that guns don't kill people, people kill people, but we don't see too many knife-wielding killers, do we?''

Post imported post

How about the guy that used a kitchen knife at VT to take off that young girls head in the cafe?

I think we should blame the knife. Forks are dangerous too for that matter. I think everything should come in pre-packaged bite size pieces... but not small enough so that the kids choke.. I mean come on.. think of the children.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This invitation to discuss resolutions is a farce. It would be know different than what's going on in DC over the propsed Obamacare bill. Obama and the Dems say they want ideas from the Republicans, but won't even consider the ideas that come from accross the isle.

It appears that the anit-gunners idea of discussing ideas on this is, "They talk,we have tolisten and agree". They're really not interested in reducing "gun violence" they just want to dissarm law abiding citizens.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    This invitation to discuss resolutions is a farce. It would be know different than what's going on in DC over the propsed Obamacare bill. Obama and the Dems say they want ideas from the Republicans, but won't even consider the ideas that come from accross the isle.

It appears that the anit-gunners idea of discussing ideas on this is, "They talk,we have tolisten and agree". They're really not interested in reducing "gun violence" they just want to dissarm law abiding citizens.
    +1

The basic human right of self-defense is not something to reach a resolution on. After 40 centuries or more of recorded history in the West, it does not need discussion.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I'm kind of missing the point of the whole OP. I don't get it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Gav-n-Tn wrote:
    I'm kind of missing the point of the whole OP. I don't get it.
    The linked article is by an anti-gunner. He claims that pro-gun activist don't offer any solutions to reducing violance. The thing is, we do, but the anti's don't like our ideas.

If you are familiar with groups like The Brady Campaign and others yu'll notice that they focus only on "gun" violance and no other forms of violance. They seem to always claim that if their were no guns, there'd be no violance. It's a very narrow minded outlook on the world, considering that firearms are only one of many tools of violance.

The auther of the article is basically saying, "we'll let you offer your ideas, but unless they conform to our prescription for restictive gun control/bans, we aren't going to listen."

Post imported post

Why don't we take him up on his offer for a talk. We could get another OC dinner/get together (in Nashville) and invite Mr. Lewis to join us to talk about our solutions to gun violence (with our guns on our hips).

We'll then see if Mr. Lewis will put his money where his mouth is.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    Why don't we take him up on his offer for a talk. We could get another OC dinner/get together (in Nashville) and invite Mr. Lewis to join us to talk about our solutions to gun violence (with our guns on our hips).

We'll then see if Mr. Lewis will put his money where his mouth is.
    Sounds like a great idea to me.

Post imported post

Well I would love him to explain why prisoners prefer stabbing over shooting people.
    Yet never hear of even one group calling for waiting periods and background checks.
    Not even registration database for tracking the evil toothbrush.

Here is my simple solution:
    Don't let violent people out of jail, lock up parole boards who violate this.

Post imported post

Here is the email that I sent Mr. Lewis.

Mr. Lewis,

Your opinion column on October 1st stated that you'd be willing to participate in a discussion of how to reduce gun violence. After discussion of your article on the web site http://www.opencarry.org (a web site dedicated to the restoration and normalization of openly carried firearms by law abiding citizens), we decided to approach you about having this discussion.

In general, we are open to just about any format, but may I suggest a casual sit down over a cup of coffee with a few of us?

Here is a link to the thread where we are discussing your article. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum50/32301.html

Feel free to register and talk with us on the OCDO website, if this is more convenient for you.

Sincerely,

Wayne Crawford
    Gun Owner &
    Open Carry Activist

EDIT: Apparently Mr Lewis' email address is not functional at this time (or permanently??)

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 mailbox unavailable (state 14).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    Here is the email that I sent Mr. Lewis.

EDIT: Apparently Mr Lewis' email address is not functional at this time (or permanently??)

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 mailbox unavailable (state 14).
    Figures. :XApparently Mr Lewis is all talk and no action, just another empty suit.

Post imported post

Broken record time:

End prohibition. Discussion of anything else is effectively a red herring.

Gun control could not be less relevant; how do they suppose an additional form of prohibition is going to solve anything where the forms we already have have so patently failed?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I take it that there has not been any success in contacting Mr. Lewis, for a meeting?

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    I take it that there has not been any success in contacting Mr. Lewis, for a meeting?
    My emails are still being bounced back as undeliverable. It could be that gmail (and other?) email services are blocked automatically?

I'm going to try again, but I'm not hopeful... If uncessessful, I'll write an actual letter and put a stamp on it.

Post imported post

Mr. Lewis responded and asked for my phone number. I gave it to him and I hope to speak with him about this issue.

Lets hope we can find a good time for a sit down and discuss the issue.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    Mr. Lewis responded and asked for my phone number. I gave it to him and I hope to speak with him about this issue.

Lets hope we can find a good time for a sit down and discuss the issue.
    Cool! Keep us posted Wayne.