• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Have a solution to gun violence? Let's talk."

usaf0906

imported post

How about the guy that used a kitchen knife at VT to take off that young girls head in the cafe?

I think we should blame the knife. Forks are dangerous too for that matter. I think everything should come in pre-packaged bite size pieces... but not small enough so that the kids choke.. I mean come on.. think of the children.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This invitation to discuss resolutions is a farce. It would be know different than what's going on in DC over the propsed Obamacare bill. Obama and the Dems say they want ideas from the Republicans, but won't even consider the ideas that come from accross the isle.

It appears that the anit-gunners idea of discussing ideas on this is, "They talk,we have tolisten and agree". They're really not interested in reducing "gun violence" they just want to dissarm law abiding citizens.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
This invitation to discuss resolutions is a farce. It would be know different than what's going on in DC over the propsed Obamacare bill. Obama and the Dems say they want ideas from the Republicans, but won't even consider the ideas that come from accross the isle.

It appears that the anit-gunners idea of discussing ideas on this is, "They talk,we have tolisten and agree". They're really not interested in reducing "gun violence" they just want to dissarm law abiding citizens.
+1

The basic human right of self-defense is not something to reach a resolution on. After 40 centuries or more of recorded history in the West, it does not need discussion.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gav-n-Tn wrote:
I'm kind of missing the point of the whole OP. I don't get it.

The linked article is by an anti-gunner. He claims that pro-gun activist don't offer any solutions to reducing violance. The thing is, we do, but the anti's don't like our ideas.

If you are familiar with groups like The Brady Campaign and others yu'll notice that they focus only on "gun" violance and no other forms of violance. They seem to always claim that if their were no guns, there'd be no violance. It's a very narrow minded outlook on the world, considering that firearms are only one of many tools of violance.

The auther of the article is basically saying, "we'll let you offer your ideas, but unless they conform to our prescription for restictive gun control/bans, we aren't going to listen."

WCrawford

imported post

Why don't we take him up on his offer for a talk. We could get another OC dinner/get together (in Nashville) and invite Mr. Lewis to join us to talk about our solutions to gun violence (with our guns on our hips).

We'll then see if Mr. Lewis will put his money where his mouth is.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Why don't we take him up on his offer for a talk. We could get another OC dinner/get together (in Nashville) and invite Mr. Lewis to join us to talk about our solutions to gun violence (with our guns on our hips).

We'll then see if Mr. Lewis will put his money where his mouth is.
Sounds like a great idea to me.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well I would love him to explain why prisoners prefer stabbing over shooting people.
Yet never hear of even one group calling for waiting periods and background checks.
Not even registration database for tracking the evil toothbrush.

Here is my simple solution:
Don't let violent people out of jail, lock up parole boards who violate this.

WCrawford

imported post

Here is the email that I sent Mr. Lewis.

Mr. Lewis,

Your opinion column on October 1st stated that you'd be willing to participate in a discussion of how to reduce gun violence. After discussion of your article on the web site http://www.opencarry.org (a web site dedicated to the restoration and normalization of openly carried firearms by law abiding citizens), we decided to approach you about having this discussion.

In general, we are open to just about any format, but may I suggest a casual sit down over a cup of coffee with a few of us?

Here is a link to the thread where we are discussing your article. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum50/32301.html

Feel free to register and talk with us on the OCDO website, if this is more convenient for you.

Sincerely,

Wayne Crawford
Gun Owner &
Open Carry Activist

EDIT: Apparently Mr Lewis' email address is not functional at this time (or permanently??)

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 mailbox unavailable (state 14).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Here is the email that I sent Mr. Lewis.

EDIT: Apparently Mr Lewis' email address is not functional at this time (or permanently??)

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 mailbox unavailable (state 14).
Figures. :XApparently Mr Lewis is all talk and no action, just another empty suit.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Broken record time:

End prohibition. Discussion of anything else is effectively a red herring.

Gun control could not be less relevant; how do they suppose an additional form of prohibition is going to solve anything where the forms we already have have so patently failed?

WCrawford

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I take it that there has not been any success in contacting Mr. Lewis, for a meeting?

My emails are still being bounced back as undeliverable. It could be that gmail (and other?) email services are blocked automatically?

I'm going to try again, but I'm not hopeful... If uncessessful, I'll write an actual letter and put a stamp on it.