• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Request for members to thank a responsive state department

We-the-People

imported post

On August 23rd I sent an e-mail to the State Dept. of Parks and Recreation about a sign posted in the local state park which was not in compliance with state law. Typical "Firearms prohibited" language.

I got a prompt reply from the Associate Director appologizing for the language and verifying that it was out of compliance with state law and that firearms were permitted. He also said they were working on the problem.

In a subsequent message I suggested a sticker to cover the erroneous language with the correct verbage. Apparently they took that suggestion to heart, created stickers for the two signs they were aware of and had them fixed.

But they went even further and have now mailed out stickers to fix a bunch of other signs. Apparently their regional managers have been pushing for the signs to be replaced as well.

Most of us are used to hearing of the horror stories of dealing with government employees, agencies, and red tape. We're used to firing off complaints and letters of support for fellow open (and concealed) carriers who find their rights violated. Here, we have a state department that has stepped up to the plate and fixed something they were informed of in a very timely manner. Not only that they wen't even further and took the information to seek out other locations and fix those as well.

I would suggest letters of thanks to show the appreciation we all have when we are treated properly and our state employees and departments are responsive to our complaints and even suggestions (using the stickers).

I was communicating with Chris Havel, the Associate Director of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. His e-mail, should you chose to help recognize their response, is Chris Havel <chris.havel@state.or.us>

Thanks for your anticipated help in recognizing a job well done.

JBURGII

imported post

I too have thanked him and the dept. for their efforts. Always good to see positive responses.

Rev. Jim

JBURGII

imported post

I recieved a reply e-mail thank you today that was pleasant and personal. Excellent, I can't say enough about this office.

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

We must continue to applaud those who deserve it just as much, if not more, than we complain about those who do not or who violate our rights.

Thank you for participating in acknowledging their TIMELY cooperation.