• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

citizen's arrest

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
doesn't hanky have some other state to bother?
Hank's an asset.... or an ass something That'll be his job. He'll be the Citizens Arrest Czar!

Heya, PN!

You too MSG!

Would you shoot an unarmed perpetrator you were holding at gunpoint--if he decided to run away?
39.gif
Depends on which way he was running.
If he was headed North, Hell no, I'd give him a good kick to speed him up.
Hmmm, PN, I don't know why I asked both of you. I should have figured that you would be smart enough not to shoot an unarmed man running away from you...
Well Hank, all BS aide and all legalities be damned, killing someone is a serious matter. I hear it all the time ftom people..."I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat". Maybe so, but it's something that sticks with you the rest of your life and, the closer you get to meeting your own maker, the more you wonder if the things you did during your life, were right...not legal, but right.

Hopefully St Peter is open to negotiation!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
I think you would be just begging to be painted as a vigilante or a wanna-be cop.
Bloody shame how exercise of fundamental rights now falls under the category of vigilantism.

The right of citizens arrest comes from English common law and predates the Constitution. It is a right and responsibility of all citizens to uphold and enforce the laws of the Commonwealth under and in the capacity of the Militia of the People...

Which, sadly, has also been demonized and discredited by liberal media and underhanded bureaucracy over the past 150-or-so years.

I agree.

Here is some interesting history dating back to before police:

The Constitution contains no explicit provisions for criminal law enforcement.[suP]11[/suP] Nor did the constitutions of any of the several states contain such provisions at the time of the Founding.[suP]12[/suP] Early constitutions enunciated the intention that law enforcement was a universal duty that each person owed to the community, rather than a power of the government.[suP]13[/suP] Founding-era constitutions addressed law enforcement from the standpoint of individual liberties and placed explicit barriers upon the state.[suP]14 [/suP]--Dr. Roger Roots.

The entire paper is very interesting:

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
doesn't hanky have some other state to bother?
Hank's an asset.... or an ass something That'll be his job. He'll be the Citizens Arrest Czar!

Heya, PN!

You too MSG!

Would you shoot an unarmed perpetrator you were holding at gunpoint--if he decided to run away?
39.gif
Depends on which way he was running.
If he was headed North, Hell no, I'd give him a good kick to speed him up.
Hmmm, PN, I don't know why I asked both of you. I should have figured that you would be smart enough not to shoot an unarmed man running away from you...
Well Hank, all BS aide and all legalities be damned, killing someone is a serious matter. I hear it all the time ftom people..."I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat". Maybe so, but it's something that sticks with you the rest of your life and, the closer you get to meeting your own maker, the more you wonder if the things you did during your life, were right...not legal, but right.

Hopefully St Peter is open to negotiation!

I agree with you heartily, PN.

It's quite serious to shoot/kill another human being. Possibly the most serious event in any person's life. And there is more than the legal level of consideration. There is also a moral/ethical level...

Talk is talk, of course, people say certain things online--but won't really do them out in the street.

But I get the sense that there are some among us that would actually relishmaking the ill-informed and impetuously erroneous decision to shootat a critical point--and then pay for the rest of their lives. And make their families and friends pay for the rest of their lives too...

They come up with distorted mouthings of a wise (butvery limited) old chant, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!"

What crap. It's much better to do the right thing,than to be tried by 12 or carried by 6....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Don't agree with me Hank...makes me look bad.

You don't give the members here much credit. All that I personally know are well aware of the difference between a good shooting and a bad one.

mrt6812

imported post

thanks for all the replies, guys. I was just asking because I had heard some things about citizen's arrest and was wondering if it had been outlawed yet and when/if non LEO's could actually do it legally. I wouldn't try it and don't carry yet, just wondering.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Hanky, spendsome time readingpeople's previous posts before jumping to silly conclusions. The taking of human life isn't something to be taken lightly. It is a life-altering event for everyone concerned, including the families of the shooter and the "shootee" (dead guy).

I don't advocate trying a silly "citizen's arrest". I carry a sidearm for personal protection and the protection of those around me. If a "serious felony" (one involving the risk of serious bodily harm or death to myself or someone else) is taking place, I'm not going to attempt a citizens arrest. I'm going to stop the BG from attempting to take my life or the lives of others whatever waypossible.

I've been in the situation and I'm alive (and not incarcerated)to talk about it.

Have you?

wylde007

imported post

nova wrote:
Unless summoned by a LEO, then it is not my legal responsibility to uphold and enforce the laws of the Commonwealth. I carry a firearm for my personal defense, and nothing more. It is not my job to apprehend criminals. As a society we decided to delegate that responsibility to another person elected by the people who we pay through taxes (Sheriff). Today we also have a police dept. Again, it is not my responsibility or duty in any legal way to arrest criminals. My duty as a human is self preservation.
I never said it was your responsibility. It once was and has been shirked by many citizens in their reliance on mercenary municipal security agencies.

As a society "we" decided to delegate? I don't recall being asked my opinion. As a society "we" chose the easy way out. Read: Can't someone else do it?

I take my citizenship a little more seriously, I suppose. Self-preservation is just ONE reason to carry.

nova

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
Unless summoned by a LEO, then it is not my legal responsibility to uphold and enforce the laws of the Commonwealth. I carry a firearm for my personal defense, and nothing more. It is not my job to apprehend criminals. As a society we decided to delegate that responsibility to another person elected by the people who we pay through taxes (Sheriff). Today we also have a police dept. Again, it is not my responsibility or duty in any legal way to arrest criminals. My duty as a human is self preservation.
I never said it was your responsibility. It once was and has been shirked by many citizens in their reliance on mercenary municipal security agencies.

As a society "we" decided to delegate? I don't recall being asked my opinion.
I don't recall being asked my opinion of any act of the general assembly. However, as Citizens of Virginia we elect our legislative branch of government and therefore "we" as a society did what was done. That was what I was meaning. I agree with you in the end though, I guess I was trying to figure out how we got where we are today.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

peter nap wrote:

You don't give the members here much credit. All that I personally know are well aware of the difference between a good shooting and a bad one.

I think that I do give members here much credit--the ones who display they deserve it. Or who do not display they don't.

I don't aim my cautions at the guys who know what the deal is.

And Ibelieve you that "All" that you "personally know" are of good/sound judgment.

But I suspect you "personally know" only a very small proportion of the members at OCDO.

There are, I'm sure you'll agree, some loose cannons around. And they make the gun communities (incl. OC and CC) look bad. Avoidably so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I think that I do give members here much credit--the ones who display they deserve it. Or who do not display they don't.

I don't aim my cautions at the guys who know what the deal is.

And Ibelieve you that "All" that you "personally know" are of good/sound judgment.

But I suspect you "personally know" only a very small proportion of the members at OCDO.

There are, I'm sure you'll agree, some loose cannons around. And they make the gun communities (incl. OC and CC) look bad. Avoidably so.
Yes and no Hank. I have met a majority of the Virginia people. I've never been on any of the other states forums so I couldn't say. What they do in their state is their business. Good philosophy, huh.

But for the Va OCDO'ers, they are by all measures, good people and I've never felt uncomfortable with their actions.

Do the discussions here get heated...yes. Do people including myself say thing that can be taken the wrong way or just said out of anger...yes.

Do I pay a lot of attention to what is said here without outside information...NO!

[line] huh.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
SNIP You don't give the members here much credit. All that I personally know are well aware of the difference between a good shooting and a bad one.
Ithink that I do give members here much credit--the ones who display they deserve it. Or who do not display they don't.
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Hanky can't even keep track of his ownviews. Here is what he said earlier in anotherthread (red emphasis added/black was Hankys added to the original):

Nathan9493 wrote:
I think she feels I might confront someone when I OC whereas i might walk away if I was without my Glock. Does that make me too unstable to carry? Or do I need more education?

If I were to OC. I would probably be more likely to walk away.
Sounds like she's right....

Common malady among gun carriers, if one is to believe their posts on discussion forums...

no carry permit ?

imported post

I hope the moderators delete this thread, it makes us look bad. This is a fine example of why SOME open carry folks cause SOME of their fellow citizens concern.

To the original poster: If some idiot citizen comes up and starts attempting to handcuff me or points a firearm at me, I will assume he means me harm (abduction, robbery , murder) and shoot him twice in the head. Perhaps you should put aside your police fantasy and just apply to the academy if you want to make arrests. The fact that you needed to ask this question and are seeking legal advice from the "internet's non- lawyers" , proves you shouldn't be making citizens arrest.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
I hope the moderators delete this thread, it makes us look bad. This is a fine example of why SOME open carry folks cause SOME of their fellow citizens concern.

To the original poster: If some idiot citizen comes up and starts attempting to handcuff me or points a firearm at me, I will assume he means me harm (abduction, robbery , murder) and shoot him twice in the head. Perhaps you should put aside your police fantasy and just apply to the academy if you want to make arrests. The fact that you needed to ask this question and are seeking legal advice from the "internet's non- lawyers" , proves you shouldn't be making citizens arrest.
Well that post certainly improved the image.:shock:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:

Well that post certainly improved the image.:shock:

No kidding, PN. Some folks just wander aimlessly from place to place, looking for a reason to belittle others. This is an OPEN DISCUSSION Forum meant to discuss OPEN CARRY of firearms. There is a great deal of wisdom available here along with some that are pretty far out there... If this topic is closed and deleted, no one would learn anything.

THAT sounds like a good idea... :idea: