• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: AR or AK?

Daath 474

imported post

Boo Boo, the ak-47 is NOT illegal in WA state. A full-auto maybe, but not the semi-auto variant. The WASR-10 is a Romanian ak-47 that is semi-auto. These are LEGAL in Washington state.

As for the gun, I'd say you're better off with the AR for accuracy, the AK for damage.

The only problem I ran into with my WASR-10 when I bought it (for $300!!!! new) was that the mag well wasn't cut right to fit the 30 round mags. A little bit of JB Weld or something in there makes a snugger fit for feeding the bullets into the chamber. Other than that, it's been a perfect rifle for very cheap. I did buy it before the "Obama scare" that drove up gun and ammo prices everywhere. Last I saw WASR-10s were running about $500-600 or so at the same place I bought mine for $300!

Vern357

imported post

Get the best of both worlds, buy an AR in 7.62X39. Mags are a little pricey but it really gives you the accuracy and the punch.

You can even hunt with it.

Metalhead47

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
get the AK first, and if you want an AR after, you can sell the AK for what you got it for almost always. if you want to come over to snohomish county ill take you shooting, though.

Hey that'd be awesome if it's not too much of an imposition (Snoco is a quicker ferry ride than Squim:)). PM me and we'll talk.

Metalhead47

imported post

I thought about getting one or the other in a different caliber, but I figured that'd make mags & other parts more expensive & trickier to find now, let alone when those pesky zombies show up.

The AR's I'm looking at are from either Del-Ton or Doublestar, both in the $700 range + optics. Anyone familiar with the brands?