• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: AR or AK?

Metalhead47

imported post

OK I know this is off-topic & probably one of those talked-to-death subjects like Ford vs Chevy, but there are many folks here who both know alot more about guns than I, and enjoy talking about em anyway:)

I've got some money coming in in a couple months, turns out it's a little more than I planned on. I had been thinking about a cheap WASR AK-47, but that plus a link from another thread and suddenly an entry-level AR-15 is now in the budget.

I was still about 90% sold on the AK (I have a soft spot for cheap Russian guns :cool:) till I stopped by Discount Guns earlier today & got to handle both. Now I'm completely undecided. The AR is, in the end, the superior weapon, but even the sales dude pointed out that it'll be the AK that survives the next Zombie Apocalypse (sure wish the durn zombies would let on when, exactly, they're planning their next apocalypse so it'd be easier to prioritize!)

So it's either my choice of AK's (plus ammo & maybe a shotgun for good measure), or a low-end AR (which is still better put together than the best AK). :uhoh::question::shock:

New Daddy

imported post

I've got a couple of each and I like the AR a lot better. Back in the day when 7.62x39 was cheap, the AK held an advantage for a day of blasting and it's a fine cartridge for what it was designed. However, I think the AR has a significant advantage in accuracy, adaptability, and weight (noted that my AKs are pre-ban Chinese versions that are notoriously hard to accuracize).

gtparlette

imported post

I was in DG yesterday when you were there. My personal choice is an AR. Have you shot an Ak or AR ?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

first off

AK's are illegal in WA, and the words tossed around like cheap sex

now AK style variants differ alot just like a AR.

you plan on doing alot of shooting? then theVariants would be the way to go cheaper ammo by far. it also will do more damage when the zomie wars come to town.

but the AR would be lighter and well if the zombie wars come soon. you can always get your ammo from the unprepared sent to stop it

bigwookiee

imported post

I have shot AR in the military. I would rather of had a spear:shock: (just kidding butbarley).

Get a Saiga .223 and convert it back to Ak-47 stile. Ak-47 are ok in WA. Hear is a link the saiga-12 forms where you can learn a lot more about them. http://forum.Saiga-12.com Just look down the topics to find the rifles.

I have both a Saiga-12 and a Saiga .223. Converting them is easy and all you need is just basic hand tool skills. If I can do it anyone can do it.

I know of a few trainers who now us only Ak. They still teach AR class put personally use AK. I also know a few 3 gun shooters who have switched to AK. I got a Saiga-12 as my first Ak because it was a clip feed shot gun and at the time it was only $300.00. All of my guns are fighting guns. I want them to run in the worst end of the world or Katrina like scenarios. I don't have time for a prissy gun that need a lot of TLC just to shoot somewhat reliably.

You can also take the money you save and add rails and optics to you AK. If you by the AR you probably will not have much left over to play with it.

Now before someone starts an AK vs. AR war with me. I don't want that fight. I will win the fight just by having you come over and we will shoot round until one of our guns develops consistent problems. I know who will win.

Mad Pick

imported post

They are both good guns.

Get whichever one gets you the most excited when you look at it and hold it.

I have one of those cheap WASR 10/63 rifles, and I love it. But yes, an AR is most likely in my future as well . . . .

New Daddy

imported post

bigwookiee wrote:
Now before someone starts an AK vs. AR war with me. I don't want that fight. I will win the fight just by having you come over and we will shoot round until one of our guns develops consistent problems. I know who will win.

I had to laugh at this. I've attended several classes with a lot of AR variant shooters and I've noticed a pretty consistent trend - non of the over 40 crowd seem to have many problems with reliability. Seriously - a lot of the guys have their ARs jam up repeatedly and every single time it's a younger person with a fancy AR or a build. I've got an off the shelf Colt and I never have a problem with it even though I've run about 10K rounds through it.

When you talk to the guys who are having problems, they can talk endlessly about how this part is better than that part or how this deally is better than that deally, or the best - how they never clean their weapon - ever.

Then when we're on the line, some old guy like me with an off the shelf Colt will shoot a circle around them - not because we're better shots, but because our weapon works.

Pavegunner

imported post

1. Ammo: avail/priceboth reasonable and available. The.308/7.62mm round kicks absolute ass,ballistically speaking, compared to the.223/5.56mm round. - Advantage AK

2. Accuracy:AK'smechanical tolorances are generally not as tight as AR's so you sacrifice on the accuracy side.- Advantage AR

3. Reliablility: Those same loose tolorances also give you an advantage in less malfunctions (ONLY applies after thousands of rounds fired) Keep your weapons cleaned and you'll be fine with ANY weapon.-Advantage AK

4. Quality/craftmanship: Most AK's are cheaply produced. They rattle around a little more than most AR's I've played with and the steel partsare machined cheaper. - Advantage AR

5. Parts avail: Both have a wide varietyof parts/accessories avail. - Tie

6. Cost: Slick AR's run from $800 to$1200 new. AK's much cheaper (but you get what you pay for) - Advantage AK

7. Weight/length: Humping a 30 caliber rifle is harder than humping a 20 caliber one. It's simple math. - Advantage AR

I would personally look at another option. Get an AR-10 platform. It's basically an AR weapon, chambered in .308ca/7.62mm. It's the best of both worlds. Free float the barrel and get a good optic and you will not be disappointed.

Tawnos

imported post

The only correct answer is "both." Whichever you can find ammo for at the time of greatest need will be the one you want.

Metalhead47

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
The only correct answer is "both."
Don't say that. Please don't say that
icon_mrgreen.gif

n16ht5

imported post

Big Wookie +10. I'd trust my life to my Saiga AK any day over my bushmaster.

or if you want a GOOD AR, get a Sig556. kind of a hybrid.

cynicist

imported post

I would suggest the SKS, as it's as rugged as the AK, but tends to be more accurate.
The most annoying thing about the Russian 7.62 family is that the ammo is generally not reloadable.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I went AR having been familiar with it from my time in the Marines. When .223 ammo started creeping up in price, I picked up an AK as I couldn't afford to shoot the AR.

I really liked the AK design and actually identified more with it's rugged and rough reputation. The AR is certainly a bit more "refined".

When 7.62x39 ammo started getting close in price to .223, I picked up an AK74 (5.45x39) and was just as pleased. For what I would have paid for 2000 rounds of .223, I bought the rifle AND 2160 rounds of ammo for it.

Happy with my two variants, I decided it was time to sell the AR.

Accuracy is relative. If I was shooting competition, sure the AR would be the better pick. Shooting milk bottles and pop cans there is effectively no real difference. If you like to hang a bunch of accessories off of it, AR is probably the better platform. If you just want a reliable solid shooter, than there is money to be saved with the AK, and that money can be used for ammo.

I'll take a 4x4 over a sports car, Glocks over Sigs, and the AK over the AR. I guess that is just the way I am.

I do miss my AR some, but one thing I won't ever miss is cleaning it. AK blows the AR away when it comes to cleaning.

Metalhead47

imported post

Well after reading posts here, elsewhere, and an hour & half video series on youtube my wife & I are still stuck on the fence (and I hate being on the fence:lol:).

Sooooooo....

Anyone have one of each they'd be willing to let us borrow/rent? Ammo at our cost of course :celebrate

jeeper1

imported post

Metalhead, if you want to try both I have more than one of each you can try. You will have to come here and we can go to a local shooting area.

n16ht5

imported post

get the AK first, and if you want an AR after, you can sell the AK for what you got it for almost always. if you want to come over to snohomish county ill take you shooting, though.

n16ht5

imported post

get the AK first, and if you want an AR after, you can sell the AK for what you got it for almost always. if you want to come over to snohomish county ill take you shooting, though.