• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

way to bring a gun into canada?

fire suppressor

imported post

Once a year I goto Canada and have always just left my handgun at home. Is there a way I am able to bring it with me?

kparker

imported post

Almost certainly not. In general, the only handguns permitted are non-semi-autos with longer barrels. And even if what you are trying to bring in is your old S&W police revolver w/4" barrel, you certainly couldn't have it loaded or carry it anywhere.

Here's a fairly comprehensive essay on all the ins and outs of bringing firearms into Canada.

n16ht5

imported post

if you really need one up there, conceal it super well. good luck. I know people that bring theirs up across, but I wouldn't try it

Manu

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
if you really need one up there, conceal it super well. good luck. I know people that bring theirs up across, but I wouldn't try it
Well as long as you do not get searched its ok, Otherwise you know they even strip your car when they get to it.

killchain

imported post

I've been told the easiest firearm to take into Canada is a hunting rifle or shotgun. I don't know the specifics but I know you have to contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

You could give them a call and find out what you will need for whatever you want to take into Canada.

n16ht5

imported post

they search your body? like metal detector? I know they did the cars.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

they have a reason to suspect, your only answer to the question istwo fingers or three

killchain

imported post

kparker wrote:
I don't know the specifics

Did you read the link Manu and I posted? It's brim-full with specifics, including links to lots of the relevant Canadian government sites.
Actually, no I didn't. I was offering my advice to contact the RCMP to find out what the OP might need to do. I'm not trying to get into Canada with a gun so I didn't think I needed to read it.

But if and when that becomes an issue I will make sure to read your posting, and thank you in advance for giving me everything I will need to know to complete the task.