• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pushing the OC movement forward

Jizzzle

imported post

We are having an OC BBQ at Almeda Park in Alamogordo NM on the 17th at noon. PM me for more info, IE directions et. We have a bunch of people already confirmed to attend. Also check the NM forum for more information.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

McX wrote:
At times the "Honda kids" as I call them, congregate in our lounge, when visiting our shop. We always take the opportunity to discuss with these young men, about to turn 21, the Open Carry movement, and provide them with an Open Carry pamphlet. They always exclaim that their Dad (probably in my age group) will DEFINITELY want to see and hear of this, so we give the movement exposure with the young, and the parents as well.
If the parents are involved, the better chance they will give their 18+ year old kid a handgun so that they can OC.

Decoligny

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
We are having an OC BBQ at Almeda Park in Alamogordo NM on the 17th at noon. PM me for more info, IE directions et. We have a bunch of people already confirmed to attend. Also check the NM forum for more information.
You do realize that Racine is about 1,450 miles from Alamogordo?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
McX wrote:
At times the "Honda kids" as I call them, congregate in our lounge, when visiting our shop. We always take the opportunity to discuss with these young men, about to turn 21, the Open Carry movement, and provide them with an Open Carry pamphlet. They always exclaim that their Dad (probably in my age group) will DEFINITELY want to see and hear of this, so we give the movement exposure with the young, and the parents as well.
If the parents are involved, the better chance they will give their 18+ year old kid a handgun so that they can OC.
Once they are 18+ they should be able to acquire their own firearm. I hope that they also get proper education concerning the laws and safe handling. Mentoring would be a good thing for older and more experienced carriers to consider for these young people.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Once they are 18+ they should be able to acquire their own firearm.
$500 is alot of cash for a kid just out of High School and maybe going to college. I don't know of a better Christmas or birthday gift than a handgun...:cool:

I understand that, but a reliable handgun can be puchased for about half that. Young people tend to piss away allot more than $500 on other stuff all the time. An 18-19 year old will have to re-assess their priorities and decide if have a tool for SD is or is not more important than some of the other gadgets they like to have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against parents giving a gift of a firearm, if they can. Not all parents are in a position to do that. Just like not all parents are not able to buy their kids a car when they graduate HS.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX,

Have you considered taking your plan of action to the Racine Chamber of Commerce? What you folks in your specific area are doing might be considered a "pilot program" that the rest of the city will want to keep an eye on.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

McX wrote:
I keep having the reoccurring dream of walking into a drug store, in my later years, cane in hand, and browsing the store, and noting: There's an OC-er in isle 5 looking at magazines, there's another one coming in the door, there's a Lady OC-ing in the beauty aids isle. AND NO ONE BUT ME EVEN NOTICES!

Why wait? Come to Arizona... Where it's reality NOW.

I OC in Walgreens all the time. :)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
This gives me an idea: OC-M program. The Open Carry-Merchant program. Promoting Open Carry with merchants! There are signs on buisnesses of all types; No shirt, no shoes, no service, Visa and MC accepted, blah, blah, blah. Why don't merchants, rather than posting nothing, add a simple OC-OK sign to their door? Then train their employees to accept the OC-er, and not harass, intimidate, nor surround an OC shopper. And if the Police are called by an un-nerved customer, the management intervene, and tell the responding Police outright; He's an Open Carrier, in MY store, and that's ok here!
When we went OC-OK, it held the criminal element back off of our property. It gave us a small modicum of space, and some security, and peace of mind. To this date the Police have never had to respond to an OC incident at our facility. No crimes have been committed at our facility, and the criminal element has had to go elsewhere to practice their trade(s).
Merchants need to start gowing some nuts, and posting signs, to let a customer, and/or an OC-er know up front, whether they will be welcomed, or shunned. An OC-er should NOT have to guess, nor test the water(s), and hope the store management has a uniform policy that even their employees clearly understand.
Back to the idea: I bet a study would reveal that if a merchant posted OC-OK signs, he would lose no customers, and the general crime rate, and problem calls to his buisness would drop dramatically!
I should also mention here, we would not have had the success we did, with routing out our problems had it not been for the envolvement of City Officials, and the support of the Racine Police Department. They equally deserve credit, and praise.

There ya go! Sounds like a great plan.

If there is a gun range in your area you might look into getting a discount for merchants and their employeesthat choose to carry in there own stores and might need some firearms training. Research the statutes for laws regarding the use of force/deadly force and have seminars for the merchants on the subject.

I believe your right in including the city officials and police in this program. They also may need to be reminded, now and then, that they are public servants and that you are their employers. Between the OC merchants, their OC customers, and the police, Racine should be able to greatly reduce the crime in that city.

Document everything you are doing and keep tract of the changes in crime in your area. If you are successful (I believe you will be) other cities and communities will want to take a look at what you have done.