• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exchange of VA CHP Info Out-of-State ?

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

I searched this site but didn't couldn't find an answer to this question:

Do the Virginia State Police routinely/automatically exchange VA Resident CHP info with agencies from other states?

Example: During stop for a minor traffic violation, is an out-of-state LEO informed up-front that the vehicle's registered owner holds a VA CHP simply by "running" the VA license plates? ...

... or by "running" the offender's VA driver's license (if he/she was not the registered vehicle owner)?

Just curious.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
I searched this site but didn't couldn't find an answer to this question:

Do the Virginia State Police routinely/automatically exchange VA Resident CHP info with agencies from other states?

Example: During stop for a minor traffic violation, is an out-of-state LEO informed up-front that the vehicle's registered owner holds a VA CHP simply by "running" the VA license plates? ...

... or by "running" the offender's VA driver's license (if he/she was not the registered vehicle owner)?

Just curious.
Yes - see 18.2-308 requiring recoprocity agreements to include digital on-0demand verification of permit info.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Mike:

Many thanks for the lead. The research continues ...

For everyones's info, the VA code (18.2-308.P) reads:
... (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day ...

... The Superintendent of
[Virginia] State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes ...

I spend a lot of time working in Pennsylvania; here's a copy of the VA-PA reciprocity agreement: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/Virginia-Firearm-Reciprocity.pdf

I'm no expert on criminal info database exchanges ... however the VA code passage "... make the registry available ... " and "instantly 24 hrs" leaves unanswered if CC permit info actually comes-up automatically when out of state plates and/or driver's licenses are routinely "run."

i.e. How "readily" is the CC info made available to LEOs ???

I'm guessing that there's probably some variation from state-to-state too.

Is there anyone here who can at least confirm if the database(s) VA LEOs routinely query during traffic stops (the VCIN ?) automatically includes CC holder info from VA's closest neighboring reciprocity states. (i.e. Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina) ???

virginiatuck

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
Mike:

Many thanks for the lead. The research continues ...

For everyones's info, the VA code (18.2-308.P) reads:
... (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day ...

... The Superintendent of
[Virginia] State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes ...

I spend a lot of time working in Pennsylvania; here's a copy of the VA-PA reciprocity agreement: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/Virginia-Firearm-Reciprocity.pdf

I'm no expert on criminal info database exchanges ... however the VA code passage "... make the registry available ... " and "instantly 24 hrs" leaves unanswered if CC permit info actually comes-up automatically when out of state plates and/or driver's licenses are routinely "run."

i.e. How "readily" is the CC info made available to LEOs ???

I'm guessing that there's probably some variation from state-to-state too.

Is there anyone here who can at least confirm if the database(s) VA LEOs routinely query during traffic stops (the VCIN ?) automatically includes CC holder info from VA's closest neighboring reciprocity states. (i.e. Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina) ???
Try the Superintendant of the Virginia State Police. questions@vsp.virginia.gov

And also ask the counterparts in the other states.

The worst they could do is say "we can/will not divulge that information to the public." At best, you'll get a clear answer.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Tuck:

Thanks for that VSP contact info.

I'll also conduct some "field research" with a couple of LEOs I "unofficially" deal with in neighboring states -- one w/o reciprocity (Prince Georges County MD) and one w/ full reciprocity (Pennsylvania State Police).

I'll return here once I have some findings.