• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Leandro- No go on Open Carry

vtecless

imported post

Just got off the phone with San Leandro PD- they do not allow open carry of any kind (including UOC)! They said do not come to the city of San Leandro openly carrying a firearm or you will go to jail! :banghead:Not to mention they were pretty irrate about it.

Who wants to have a UOC meet in San Leandro?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Are you just calling to find places that aren't OC friendly so you can do it there? Better than actually caring if they "allow" it I guess. Find a place to eat that's outta range of schools and I'll be there.

After a brief look on Yelp, it seems like the higher ranked restaurants are all right next to or so close to the 1000' line that it seems questionable.

demnogis

imported post

Of course you're not allowed to carry a gun (in accordance with the law) in San Leandro. You'll put the police out of a job!

Although, judging by the horrendous amounts of crime in that city... They'd have a lot to do regardless.

Did you explain to them how UOC legal, and that making a policy or city ordinance making it illegal is pre-empted under state law?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

demnogis wrote:
Did you explain to them how UOC legal, and that making a policy or city ordinance making it illegal is pre-empted under state law?
They'd probably laugh in his face. Arrogance and treason are cornerstones of CA government. They know that even if their evil BS is challenged in court, they can just raise taxes to cover hiring outside counsel and drag it out for years.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Make sure you have just a few carrying and A LOT of cameras if you choose to do an event.

ALSO, don't call in your inquiries. Two weeks before your event, send them a package of OC memos and legal codes with a letter of intent via certified return mail. That way, they cannot claim ignorance of the law.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

vtecless wrote:
Just got off the phone with San Leandro PD- they do not allow open carry of any kind (including UOC)! They said do not come to the city of San Leandro openly carrying a firearm or you will go to jail! :banghead:Not to mention they were pretty irrate about it.
It's not up to the PD to "allow" or "disallow" anything. They enforce laws. If they think they have an enforceable local ordinance, I'd be interested in seeing it challenged. (Remember Bobbarker's arrest and threatened prosecution last year? The city attorney talked a big game, then quietly tucked tail and peed a little.)

I can only assume from the answer, that the question you posed was something like, "Does the city of San Leandro allow open carry of unloaded firearms?"

First, direct your question to the correct person - chances are whoever answers the phone is more of a receptionist than a policy-know-it-all. I would direct my queries to the supervising/training officer, or the sheriff/chief.

Second, careful wording may net far better results, for example, "Has your department received one of the many interdepartmental memos regarding the Open Carry movement, and have your officers received any sort of training regarding how to interact with activists?"

If they say, "never heard of it," then you just opened a great opportunity to help educate yet another public agency. I suggest accentuating that you are concerned the officers will create unnecessary liabilities to the city during these tough economic times. Offer to send him/her copies of the memos and fliers we have access to. (This is an excellent opportunity to include a letter that documents what you discussed via phone.) You could even offer to meet face to face to discuss the matter further in person.

If they say, "yeah, we did a training class about that a x weeks ago," I would ask some questions to see what kind of training they did, where they got their training info (most depts borrow from one of the highly published inter-department memos), and then heap praise upon them for taking the initiate. I would still offer to bring buy some fliers and perhaps one or memos they may not have seen. (This is an excellent opportunity to include a letter that documents what you discussed via phone.)

The bottom line is that we want to come across as extending a helping hand. I don't think anybody here wants to make a few bucks at the expense of our fellow tax-payers. I'm sure most of us would rather live in an environment where we wouldn't have to even consider the option.

I hope you find my suggestions helpful.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Make sure you have just a few carrying and A LOT of cameras if you choose to do an event.
+1

I doubt the person you spoke to was presenting a departmental policy. They were probably speaking their own mind, or simply spewing the FUD they've come to accept. (Every city I've contacted started by asserting there was no legal way to carry a firearm, except with a CCW permit - each ended with some varying degree of acceptance that they recognize UOC is legal.)

Even so, I agree with Nate's advice. Have unarmed, friendly witnesses ready to video/audio record the encounter. Have more than one (I suggest at least one camera per carrier, in case the activists are somehow seperated).