• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Purchase and Carry age

Gizmoe142

imported post

I am hoping someone on here can clarify something for me. I was recently set up at a gun show selling a few personal firearms. I do not have an FFL. I sold a Handgun to a guy, got his info and all, he was 19.

As I understand the federal law says that they leave the age restrictions to the states. But they have the youth handgun safety act as a rule of thumb, which states the age for posession of a handgun by someone who is 18+ legal. Well as I understand the Idaho State law it says that as long as the individual is 18, and is not excluded for a felony or the other usual excludements, he can purchase a handgun from a private citizen legally.
I also thought that he could purchase one from a FFL holder as long as he was over 18 and had signed written permission from a parent or guardian.

Well what brought all this up is that another gun dealer set up their came over and said that I should not have sold the gun to the 19 year old, because that was against federal law, he said you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun period. I argued that may be true for FFL holders but that for private sale it was allowed. He wouldnt hear it and went and got the other guy and made me return the guys money.

Now It pisses me off that I couldnt sell the gun to that guy but it sold shortly after so that is ok. What I want to know is what the law says about the legal age for purchase of a handgun, posession of a handgun and right to carry a handgun visible under the age of 21 in Idaho.

Thanks in advance to all those who post responses

Gizmoe142

imported post

Thank you for your reply I have had a decent relationship with this dealer, he was kind of watching out for me in an overbarring and annoying way. It actually worked out better because I sold It for more the second time. as far as authority he had none in my opinion.
Just a clarification for myself. Thanks again

What about the right of someone 18+ to OC in Idaho?
Let me know thanks

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You really want to mess with him about this, it can be argued he with a FFL
facilitated the sale of a gun by a minor to you! You said you gave the child
money for a handgun. At best a straw sale, since he was the true agent for
the transaction. :p Was he carrying when he forced the sale?

It would be a nice gesture to let the minor know by letter the real state of
law so the next time he stands his ground and just leaves.

Gizmoe142

imported post

Well I had originally sold the gun to the kid at the show and then this other dealer heard about it and had me refund the kid and take my gun back. I understand where the dealer with the FFL stands, but he really didn't have the right to interfere in a private transaction. And if your question is whether the kid or the dealer was carrying, neither had on a hip holster but ya the kid was holding the gun.
I just want to show the dealer that I was in the right to sale the gun to the guy because he was over 18.