Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wifes against me OC'ing. Any advice?

Post imported post

For a long time I was one of those uneducated "sheeples" who didn't want a gun in my home or around my children. My wife was the one who kept nagging me to get one to protect our family. It was only after a police chase ended up in my front yard and the PUNK almost came thru me to get into my house that I had a change of heart. Fortunatly he changed his mind and jumped over my fence , ran thru my back yard and over the back fence.

I've spent considerable time "lurking" thru these forums trying to educate myself. I've learned soooo much. And thinking back to all the incidents in my life that could have turned ugly so fast, I'm now convinced of the need to carry, not just have it in my home "just in case".

However, being that my wife is the one wanted the gun in the first place, she is convinced that if I carry CC or OC that I'll just invite trouble or I'll actually find it.

Does anyone have any advice for changeing her opinion? She is very stubborn on this. Thanks for your help.

Post imported post

Looks like man you are in jam, I gave this to my wife even without knowing what is her stand on guns, She never stoped me carrying a gun (I think if you will try this it might help):P

Top 10 reasons a gun is favored over a woman....

#10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

# 9. You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

# 8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

# 7. Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

# 6. Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

# 5. A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

# 4. Guns function normally every day of the month.

# 3. A gun doesn't ask, 'Do these new grips make me look fat?'

# 2. A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the number one reason a gun is favored over a woman....

# 1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN

Post imported post

Thanks Manu. Mrs. Duck laughed out loud at every point. Of course, she already approves of open carry.

MD

Post imported post

Nathan, could it be that your wife is afraid that the very possession of a pistol will change your behavior? I respectfully ask this because our world, thanks to the news media and TV shows, has inundated us with illogic hidden within the context of news or drama. It's enough to make Aristotle lose his focus, were he alive today.

Ask her what she has observed about your behavior. Do you have inner directed morality or is your behavior controlled by others? Do you try to find self esteem at the expense of others or is it well developed within yourself? Do you get scared in mano a mano confrontations or are you able to reason out your responses as you go along? I suspect that once your wife considers your personality in light of these questions she will change her mind...just don't look for an immediate reversal.

Speaking for myself, I've carried a pistol for 20 years. In that time I've had to draw twice and present the pistol once. I suspect that most on the forum here would describe similar histories. Carrying has caused me to become more calm in confrontations, not less, because after all, I have a very big stick. Again, I suspect similar reactions among forum members.

MD

Post imported post

get her to attend the OC meets with you and see how "Normal" the rest of us are....

Post imported post

You're skating on thin ice, buster! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

MD

Post imported post

Have you considered bringing her along to a basics of self defense course? Get her to the range, get her interested, and I think you'll find it's a lot easier. Remind her that protection doesn't start and stop at the home, people who are dangerous exist in other places. Assure her that you would not go out seeking to use it, but would have it as a means to protect your loved ones should they be attacked.

I think the best way is to demonstrate to her that your carry doesn't change your attitude (heck, if you're like me, you're even more polite when you're carrying, simply because you're more alert and actually recognize when people try to get your attention, are entering a building, etc).
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Machoduck wrote:
    Nathan, could it be that your wife is afraid that the very possession of a pistol will change your behavior? I respectfully ask this because our world, thanks to the news media and TV shows, has inundated us with illogic hidden within the context of news or drama. It's enough to make Aristotle lose his focus, were he alive today.

Ask her what she has observed about your behavior. Do you have inner directed morality or is your behavior controlled by others? Do you try to find self esteem at the expense of others or is it well developed within yourself? Do you get scared in mano a mano confrontations or are you able to reason out your responses as you go along? I suspect that once your wife considers your personality in light of these questions she will change her mind...just don't look for an immediate reversal.

Speaking for myself, I've carried a pistol for 20 years. In that time I've had to draw twice and present the pistol once. I suspect that most on the forum here would describe similar histories. Carrying has caused me to become more calm in confrontations, not less, because after all, I have a very big stick. Again, I suspect similar reactions among forum members.

MD
    MD- Are you a shrink? Thats some pretty powerful stuff. I try not to let others influence my actions. But to be honest, there was one time a few years back that I got into a confrontation with a @#$%%^ at Wal-mart for throwing ciggs on the ground instead of using the ashtray 2' away. I did overeact and the guy wanted to fight but i walked away.

As far as confrontations go, my parents pounded the "peaceable at ALL cost" bible principal into my head to a fault where I grew up not standing up for myself. But I've had too learn a balancing act as later I became too confrontive. I've since learned to back off a bit. But I've never been prone to violence. Does that answer what you meant or am I off.

Post imported post

Nathan, you're not off, exactly. What I meant was for your wife to consider these questions in light of her knowledge of your personality and character. I believed that you would come out smelling like a rose. I still do, even more so.

MD

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:
    Have you considered bringing her along to a basics of self defense course? Get her to the range, get her interested, and I think you'll find it's a lot easier. Remind her that protection doesn't start and stop at the home, people who are dangerous exist in other places. Assure her that you would not go out seeking to use it, but would have it as a means to protect your loved ones should they be attacked.

I think the best way is to demonstrate to her that your carry doesn't change your attitude (heck, if you're like me, you're even more polite when you're carrying, simply because you're more alert and actually recognize when people try to get your attention, are entering a building, etc).
    Tawnos-

She'll go to the range with me and shoot. At first she said she wanted to take courses with me. Even going do far as to fly to Nevada to attend Front sight school. Now all of a sudden she doesn't want to go to the Seattle firearms academy near home.

I think she feels I might confront someone when I OC whereas i might walk away if I was without my Glock. Does that make me too unstable to carry? Or do I need more education?

If I were to OC. I would probably be more likely to walk away.

Whats really funny is she wants me to carry when we go hiking? Cant figure her out?!

Post imported post

MD Your a wise old duck. I'll see what she thinks the next time I discuss this with her. Thanks again for putting such deep thought into my "issue".

Post imported post

Let her know you respect her opinion and carry one any way. She may get mad at first but that wont last long before she realizes that she has to respect your opinion too.My wife hated guns at firstas wellbut I continued to educate her about the positive aspects of guns and now she is 100% on the same page and would like to get one her self.

Post imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
    I think she feels I might confront someone when I OC whereas i might walk away if I was without my Glock. Does that make me too unstable to carry? Or do I need more education?

Sounds like she's right....

Common malady among gun carriers, if one is to believe their posts on discussion forums...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:

Common malady among gun carriers, if one is to believe their posts on discussion forums...

QFT
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

QFT? whats that mean

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:

QFT

Go, Cit....GO!

You're almost there......soon you will be OCDO Citizen No. 1.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:

QFT

Go, Cit....GO!

You're almost there......soon you will be OCDO Citizen No. 1.

not to sound too much like a newbie, but, OCDO?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
    Open Carry (dot) Org
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:

OpenCarry.org

Also known as Citizen's Soapbox and Ideological Extremism Sandbox....

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:

OpenCarry.org

Is that a good thing or not?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    OpenCarry.org

Oh, c'mon Hanky. That's hardly even an effort from someone as worthy as I would have thought you were.

You're actually stooping to some pretty pathetic, easily recognized trollish practices here this evening. Criticism just for the sake of criticism.

I know you are better than that. At least I hope you are. Look at how good you have been at hiding. You are very sophisticated at hiding your true ideas and motives. You even hide your location. So, I know hiding is a part of your game. But, its the sophistication I'm missing here. You're stooping to common troll tactics. C'mon.

Post imported post

HankT - we'll see you soon.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    OpenCarry.org

Oh, c'mon Hanky. That's hardly even an effort from someone as worthy as I would have thought you were.

You're actually stooping to some pretty pathetic, easily recognized trollish practices here this evening. Criticism just for the sake of criticism.

I know you are better than that. At least I hope you are. Look at how good you have been at hiding. You are very sophisticated at hiding your true ideas and motives. You even hide your location. So, I know hiding is a part of your game. But, its the sophistication I'm missing here. You're stooping to common troll tactics. C'mon.

????

Citizen wrote:
    Posted: Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 10:01 pm
    I'm sorry Hanky. Your mommy asked me not to feed your troll-ish obsessions too much, so I can't play with you anymore tonight.

Ahhhh, yes.....post count!!!!!

Go, Cit....GO!

Go for OCDO Citzen No. 1!

Post imported post

Pavegunner wrote:
    HankT - we'll see you soon.
    What do you mean, Pavegunner?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    [last post]
    Bwahahahahahahahahaaha!!

Hanky is reaching now. Sticking to one item, post counts, and pretending to not understand what I wrote. While criticizing just for the sake of criticizing.

Easily recognized troll...excuse me...goof with a keyboard.

I wonder if he even recognizes that his unnecessary and continuedcriticisms on me reveal him to be stuck in sometrollish posture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast