• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My wifes against me OC'ing. Any advice?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
OpenCarry.org

Also known as Citizen's Soapbox and Ideological Extremism Sandbox....

Oh, c'mon Hanky. That's hardly even an effort from someone as worthy as I would have thought you were.

You're actually stooping to some pretty pathetic, easily recognized trollish practices here this evening. Criticism just for the sake of criticism.

I know you are better than that. At least I hope you are. Look at how good you have been at hiding. You are very sophisticated at hiding your true ideas and motives. You even hide your location. So, I know hiding is a part of your game. But, its the sophistication I'm missing here. You're stooping to common troll tactics. C'mon.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
OpenCarry.org

Also known as Citizen's Soapbox and Ideological Extremism Sandbox....

Oh, c'mon Hanky. That's hardly even an effort from someone as worthy as I would have thought you were.

You're actually stooping to some pretty pathetic, easily recognized trollish practices here this evening. Criticism just for the sake of criticism.

I know you are better than that. At least I hope you are. Look at how good you have been at hiding. You are very sophisticated at hiding your true ideas and motives. You even hide your location. So, I know hiding is a part of your game. But, its the sophistication I'm missing here. You're stooping to common troll tactics. C'mon.

????

Citizen wrote:
Posted: Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 10:01 pm
I'm sorry Hanky. Your mommy asked me not to feed your troll-ish obsessions too much, so I can't play with you anymore tonight.

Ahhhh, yes.....post count!!!!! ;)

Go, Cit....GO!

attachment.php

Go for OCDO Citzen No. 1!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
[last post]

Bwahahahahahahahahaaha!!

Hanky is reaching now. Sticking to one item, post counts, and pretending to not understand what I wrote. While criticizing just for the sake of criticizing.

Easily recognized troll...excuse me...goof with a keyboard.

I wonder if he even recognizes that his unnecessary and continuedcriticisms on me reveal him to be stuck in sometrollish posture.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Pavegunner wrote:
HankT - we'll see you soon.

What do you mean, Pavegunner?

Bwahahahahahahaha!!

He doesn't even know!!

(That was a pretty quick response out of him. A little paranoid maybe? I'm playing along with the paranoia angle. Or, am I? Yes, I am. And I want Hanky to believe I am playing along.)

Nathan9493

imported post

killchain wrote:
You could always buy your wife a gun too.

That's what I did. :)
The gun we bought was her idea to begin with. But I want to purchase other weapons for my wife and our daughters to train with. But I dont think that will change her mind about OCing.

With your wife was she against OCing?:question:

killchain

imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
killchain wrote:

The gun we bought was her idea to begin with. But I want to purchase other weapons for my wife and our daughters to train with. But I dont think that will change her mind about OCing.

My wife would have been under normal circumstances but I work around firearms all the time, and she is used to it.

I'm sure with time your wife will get used to it. Just act responsible and she will understand that it's not "evil" to carry a firearm eventually. :)

Batousaii

imported post

Hank and Citizen,

-Kindly remove your selves from our state posts. At this time i see no legitimate or purposeful reason for either of you to be on this thread.

Citizen, i understand that Hank really bothers you, and that you feel the need to hunt him where ever he goes. Hank, you have no real reason to lurk in our state threads bantering our state members. If you want to cause banter, please go back to the Open Carry Brigade. My next statements will not be to you, but to make the request to the moderators.

Thank you for not continuing to ruin our members thread.
[/b]
:cool:Bat

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Manu wrote:
Looks like man you are in jam, I gave this to my wife even without knowing what is her stand on guns, She never stoped me carrying a gun (I think if you will try this it might help):p

[align=center]Top 10 reasons a gun is favored over a woman.... [/align]

#10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

# 9. You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

# 8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

# 7. Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

# 6. Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

# 5. A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

# 4. Guns function normally every day of the month.

# 3. A gun doesn't ask, 'Do these new grips make me look fat?'

# 2. A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the number one reason a gun is favored over a woman....

# 1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN

These are all pretty funny and it helps to inject some humor into the mix of an important life decision.

But each of these funny elements, though catchy, are based on the ole ....either/or fallacy. Basing a decision on a premise or conclusion or constraint that is fundamentally fallacious....is a flawed process.

It's an endeavor where the result is bound to be regretted. That's because it is a bad decision model.Failure is a likely outcome.

Nathan9493 wrote:
However, being that my wife is the one wanted the gun in the first place, she is convinced that if I carry CC or OC that I'll just invite trouble or I'll actually find it.

Does anyone have any advice for changeing her opinion? She is very stubborn on this. Thanks for your help.:uhoh:

Don't present it as an either/or problem to be solved...to have one victor and one defeated.

Instead, work toward a mutual understanding of each person's needs and beliefs.

That way, you can be open to not only "changing her opinion" but also to her changing your opinion.

Approaching it with the either/or fallacy is not problem solving. It's simplistic.

Your values, and hers, are very very important in this deal. You would be foolish to lose a wife (and the kids?) over a gun thang.

Maybe tell her that you have a strongneed to OC/CC but that you will accede to her wishes for a time period (e.g., a year) and then open it up for decision again...

Remember, guns are not the most important thing in the world. Love is.

Nathan9493

imported post

Don't present it as an either/or problem to be solved...to have one victor and one defeated.

Instead, work toward a mutual understanding of each person's needs and beliefs.

That way, you can be open to not only "changing her opinion" but also to her changing your opinion.

Approaching it with the either/or fallacy is not problem solving. It's simplistic.

Your values, and hers, are very very important in this deal. You would be foolish to lose a wife (and the kids?) over a gun thang.

Maybe tell her that you have a strongneed to OC/CC but that you will accede to her wishes for a time period (e.g., a year) and then open it up for decision again...

Remember, guns are not the most important thing in the world. Love is.
Hankt- Thank you for your thoughts, but OC/CC or my family is not and WILL NEVER BE a either or choice. If love was that minimal in my marriage, have her consent would would not even be a concern for me.

I do agree that we need to get both sides of this coin out in the open though. She did listen when I told her why I want to carry and why I'm "obssessed" (her words) with this whole thing. I explained on the education side of things that I need to know all I can before making the decision to pull the trigger(legalities and such). On the oc/cc side, how the BG's can cause a danger to me and my family anywhere, anytime. She seemed to acknowledge that.

killchain

imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
killchain wrote:

Another thing you could try is both getting your Concealed Pistol Licenses and buy your wife a pistol as well, and carry them like that together for a while? I've noticed in my experience that exposure to firearms is a good cure all to uneasiness about it. Maybe after your wife carries a gun in her purse for a while she'll change her mind? And if not... at least you know your wife is ready to take on a bad guy. :)

5jeffro7

imported post

one important thing for your spousal unit to consider is that OC'ing actually prevents some of the "everyday" whiny bullspit...as an example..

during the season, I usually spend a good amount of time fishing at a local lake. As the weather heats up, more and more boaters and swimmers begin encroaching on the fishing area. Before OC, it was nothing to ask someone to move away & if they didn't, chuck a few 1 oz lead weights at 'em or cast out my "boat pole" (extra heavy rod with 70# test line & a 4 oz weighted treble hook), trying to snag/break their line/raft/boat/wind surfer, etc. Since I've been OC'ing, all the "retaliation" & such has come to a stop as I'm not about to draw undue attention to myself. I've also noticed that I'm more laid back when driving & less likely to either react or initate a reaction with crappy/aggressive/stupid drivers.

I know this phenomenon is not isolated to myself, as at one of the get togethers, another member & I were discussing this very issue....less lashing out & more calm dealing with issues.

Jeff

David.Car

imported post

I simply use facts. The other week 2 people were shot and killed downtown here in Spokane.

Locally violent crimes have been on the rise for years and with the current economic situation I can only expect burglaries and strong arm robberies to continue to increase.

Most people don't like to look at and realize the fact that we live in a dangerous and sick world... But once you do look at the facts, it makes carrying a firearm you prepared with seem only logical.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Just start slowly, my wife was not exactly thrilled at first either. She would walk a little ways from me until she realized that I was not getting arrested and nothing bad was going down. Now she supports me and OC 100%.

I have found that I am much calmer when I am OCing or CCing and much less likly to have any kind of dispute.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with this.

Orphan

n16ht5

imported post

my wife was just the same.. I am slowly working her in. OCing here and there with her. I am getting her a 9mm for her birthday coming up. I don't think she will carry any time soon, but she knows I carry 100% of the time and has grown to accept it. At first, she got angry at me, but after about a year (she won't admit) she feels safer with me carrying.

killchain

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
my wife was just the same.. I am slowly working her in. OCing here and there with her. I am getting her a 9mm for her birthday coming up. I don't think she will carry any time soon, but she knows I carry 100% of the time and has grown to accept it. At first, she got angry at me, but after about a year (she won't admit) she feels safer with me carrying.
Could always get her a S&W .500. ;)