• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My wifes against me OC'ing. Any advice?

Nathan9493

imported post

For a long time I was one of those uneducated "sheeples" who didn't want a gun in my home or around my children. My wife was the one who kept nagging me to get one to protect our family. It was only after a police chase ended up in my front yard and the PUNK almost came thru me to get into my house that I had a change of heart. Fortunatly he changed his mind and jumped over my fence , ran thru my back yard and over the back fence.

I've spent considerable time "lurking" thru these forums trying to educate myself. I've learned soooo much. And thinking back to all the incidents in my life that could have turned ugly so fast, I'm now convinced of the need to carry, not just have it in my home "just in case".

However, being that my wife is the one wanted the gun in the first place, she is convinced that if I carry CC or OC that I'll just invite trouble or I'll actually find it.

Does anyone have any advice for changeing her opinion? She is very stubborn on this. Thanks for your help.:uhoh:

Manu

imported post

Looks like man you are in jam, I gave this to my wife even without knowing what is her stand on guns, She never stoped me carrying a gun (I think if you will try this it might help):p

[align=center]Top 10 reasons a gun is favored over a woman.... [/align]

#10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

# 9. You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

# 8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

# 7. Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

# 6. Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

# 5. A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

# 4. Guns function normally every day of the month.

# 3. A gun doesn't ask, 'Do these new grips make me look fat?'

# 2. A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the number one reason a gun is favored over a woman....

# 1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN

Machoduck

imported post

Nathan, could it be that your wife is afraid that the very possession of a pistol will change your behavior? I respectfully ask this because our world, thanks to the news media and TV shows, has inundated us with illogic hidden within the context of news or drama. It's enough to make Aristotle lose his focus, were he alive today.

Ask her what she has observed about your behavior. Do you have inner directed morality or is your behavior controlled by others? Do you try to find self esteem at the expense of others or is it well developed within yourself? Do you get scared in mano a mano confrontations or are you able to reason out your responses as you go along? I suspect that once your wife considers your personality in light of these questions she will change her mind...just don't look for an immediate reversal.

Speaking for myself, I've carried a pistol for 20 years. In that time I've had to draw twice and present the pistol once. I suspect that most on the forum here would describe similar histories. Carrying has caused me to become more calm in confrontations, not less, because after all, I have a very big stick. Again, I suspect similar reactions among forum members.

MD

Tawnos

imported post

Have you considered bringing her along to a basics of self defense course? Get her to the range, get her interested, and I think you'll find it's a lot easier. Remind her that protection doesn't start and stop at the home, people who are dangerous exist in other places. Assure her that you would not go out seeking to use it, but would have it as a means to protect your loved ones should they be attacked.

I think the best way is to demonstrate to her that your carry doesn't change your attitude (heck, if you're like me, you're even more polite when you're carrying, simply because you're more alert and actually recognize when people try to get your attention, are entering a building, etc).

Nathan9493

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Nathan, could it be that your wife is afraid that the very possession of a pistol will change your behavior? I respectfully ask this because our world, thanks to the news media and TV shows, has inundated us with illogic hidden within the context of news or drama. It's enough to make Aristotle lose his focus, were he alive today.

Ask her what she has observed about your behavior. Do you have inner directed morality or is your behavior controlled by others? Do you try to find self esteem at the expense of others or is it well developed within yourself? Do you get scared in mano a mano confrontations or are you able to reason out your responses as you go along? I suspect that once your wife considers your personality in light of these questions she will change her mind...just don't look for an immediate reversal.

Speaking for myself, I've carried a pistol for 20 years. In that time I've had to draw twice and present the pistol once. I suspect that most on the forum here would describe similar histories. Carrying has caused me to become more calm in confrontations, not less, because after all, I have a very big stick. Again, I suspect similar reactions among forum members.

MD
MD- Are you a shrink? Thats some pretty powerful stuff. I try not to let others influence my actions. But to be honest, there was one time a few years back that I got into a confrontation with a @#$%%^ at Wal-mart for throwing ciggs on the ground instead of using the ashtray 2' away. I did overeact and the guy wanted to fight but i walked away.

As far as confrontations go, my parents pounded the "peaceable at ALL cost" bible principal into my head to a fault where I grew up not standing up for myself. But I've had too learn a balancing act as later I became too confrontive. I've since learned to back off a bit. But I've never been prone to violence. Does that answer what you meant or am I off.

Machoduck

imported post

Nathan, you're not off, exactly. What I meant was for your wife to consider these questions in light of her knowledge of your personality and character. I believed that you would come out smelling like a rose. I still do, even more so.

MD

Nathan9493

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Have you considered bringing her along to a basics of self defense course? Get her to the range, get her interested, and I think you'll find it's a lot easier. Remind her that protection doesn't start and stop at the home, people who are dangerous exist in other places. Assure her that you would not go out seeking to use it, but would have it as a means to protect your loved ones should they be attacked.

I think the best way is to demonstrate to her that your carry doesn't change your attitude (heck, if you're like me, you're even more polite when you're carrying, simply because you're more alert and actually recognize when people try to get your attention, are entering a building, etc).
Tawnos-

She'll go to the range with me and shoot. At first she said she wanted to take courses with me. Even going do far as to fly to Nevada to attend Front sight school. Now all of a sudden she doesn't want to go to the Seattle firearms academy near home.

I think she feels I might confront someone when I OC whereas i might walk away if I was without my Glock. Does that make me too unstable to carry? Or do I need more education?

If I were to OC. I would probably be more likely to walk away.

Whats really funny is she wants me to carry when we go hiking? Cant figure her out?!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

bennie1986

imported post

Let her know you respect her opinion and carry one any way. She may get mad at first but that wont last long before she realizes that she has to respect your opinion too.My wife hated guns at firstas wellbut I continued to educate her about the positive aspects of guns and now she is 100% on the same page and would like to get one her self.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
I think she feels I might confront someone when I OC whereas i might walk away if I was without my Glock. Does that make me too unstable to carry? Or do I need more education?

Sounds like she's right....

Common malady among gun carriers, if one is to believe their posts on discussion forums...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Nathan9493 wrote:

Common malady among gun carriers, if one is to believe their posts on discussion forums...
QFT

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
Nathan9493 wrote:

QFT

Go, Cit....GO!

attachment.php

You're almost there......soon you will be OCDO Citizen No. 1.

Nathan9493

imported post

HankT wrote:
Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
Nathan9493 wrote:

QFT

Go, Cit....GO!

attachment.php

You're almost there......soon you will be OCDO Citizen No. 1.
not to sound too much like a newbie, but, OCDO?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
not to sound too much like a newbie, but, OCDO?

OpenCarry.org

Also known as Citizen's Soapbox and Ideological Extremism Sandbox....

1.gif