• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Randon sampling of Orange County OC'rs says...We're not interested !

A ECNALG

imported post

This last week, I PM'edover a dozenpeople who have OCDO identities, and note either Orange County, or a city therein, as their "Location." The following request was sent:

Fellow Orange County UOC’er,

I am writing you because you are one of about a dozen OCDO members who have identified Orange County, or a city herein, as your “Location.”

I am hoping to get “a show of hands” from people interested in building a group of O.C. residents who wish to participate in group UOC events, much like what a San Diego group has done in Carlsbad, Encinitas and Oceanside recently.

I wish to facilitate an initial “meet-n-greet” so that we might become acquainted in-person, and open up discussion as to ideas and approaches for local events.

To allow for freedom of discussion, instead of meeting at a restaurant, I wish to offer the use of the clubhouse within my condominium association in Lake Forest[/b].

I would like to arrange for an upcoming Sunday, either October 4[suP]th[/suP] or 11[suP]th[/suP].

What I need from you is an acknowledgment of interest to attend.

Which date(s) are you available?[/b]
[/b]
Which timeframe would you be available?[/b]

I will try to accommodate as many of you as possible with a final decision on the date and time.

I suspect that this meeting should take not much more than an hour or so.

Needless to say (but I’ll say it anyway), I am requesting that no one UOC to this meeting[/b]. Plenty of time for that later.

I am keeping this off theforum for the time being.

What say you?

You CAN refuse to be a victim. CARRY OPEN. CARRY PROUD.

I'm sorry, but was it something I said ?!

While the past twenty years of being involved in gun-ownership rights has taught me not to be surprised at the degree of apathy among gun owners, I can't help but come away from this experience rather disappointed.

Does this random sampling actually tell me that 87.5% of Orange County residents who have registered at OCDO are now deceased ?

Or are they perhapsnot really interest in open carry ?

Or are they perhaps too affraid to open carry, even in a group event ?

Or are they perhaps too paranoid to participate in an organizational meeting outside of a public venue, fearful that this is all some sort of devious plot hatched by law enforcement to arrest the participants and wisk them off in black helicopters to some military base in the mid-west that has been converted to a detention center for extremist gun owners and other right wing fanaticswhom the current federal administration feels must be silenced ?!!!!!!! :what::what::what::what::what:

(Whew !!!!!!!)

Sure,if Bill Huntis elected Sheriff in 2010 ( http://www.billhuntforsheriff.com/ ), his policy will be akin to "shall issue" when it comes to CCW's. But that's still a big "if," and still along way off.

Is this what my random sampling of Orange County residents reveals they are waiting for?

(Psst...or are they for the most part just a bunch of frightened, lookie-loo, keyboard warrior weenies ? :banghead: )

Anyway, well folks, I at least tried. Which is more than most folks can say.

Guess that I'll just keep walking with the San Diego group.

'Parently ain't nuthin' gonna happen up here in Orange County.

(Sniffle)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Going by the people who have signed up would be a bad way of determining interest I think. Lots of people come and go, a few stick around for a long time.

I haven't heard of anybody having success doing a completely private event which was organized without a public forum post. I'm sure it's possible, but I think the way to do it would be to check to see who is logging in and posting. I can think of two orange county people who have been regularly posting lately. I can think of five who I can remember posting, although I'm sure it's much higher than that.

Then again, maybe the lack of interest is because there's an event today in Temecula?

prplqun

imported post

I know that my life is a very crazy one, not that I am saying no one elses is not. I have been wanted to really get invold over the past year and have had all kinds of things prevent me from being able to do so. I am working of clearning up some of my less important things in my life so that I can have more free time. This will also let me do more things like get invold in UOC something that I really want to do. Most people are slow to change and since I have lived in the OC I have noticed that people in the OC are even slower to change. We will get UOCing in the OC it will just take a few people that have a hug drive to do it.

coolusername2007

imported post

It could also be that you have a very low post count. I suspect people here want to "get to know you" online before meeting in person, especially if you're trying to organize an event of any kind where guns are involved. I remember seeing one guy try to organize an event thatvery fewreplied to...he too had a low post count. For whatever its worth, post counts seem to mean something, if nothing else the higher one's post count goes the more opportunities othershave to see how you think. Of course, I could be well off base here, too.

pullnshoot25

imported post

BTW, I gotta ask... what is it with every person that signs onto this site wanting to LEAD a group of OCers? Like, shouldn't you find someone with more experience first, learn a few things and then go leading?

coolusername2007

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
BTW, I gotta ask... what is it with every person that signs onto this site wanting to LEAD a group of OCers? Like, shouldn't you find someone with more experience first, learn a few things and then go leading?

Enthusiasm and excitement. Neither of which is a bad thing. I wouldn't characterize it as leading, more like organizing. Again not a bad thing. And for all we know they've lurked for a period of time before officially joining or posting.

I encourage all who want to organize an event to do so, just be cognizant of the fact that theothers who you are inviting are going to want to kind of know who you are first.

In my case, I decided to put it out there to organize the monthly meetups because 1. nobody else was doing it, and 2. because I couldn't find any other meetups where I could join in as a newbie. So I decided to offer up monthly meetup organizing efforts and the response was positive. More power to all in the same boat who are enthused, excited,knowledgeable and have the time.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As others have pointed out, most of the members of this board are probably inactive. I know there are at least 7 or 8 members who are in my area, and only 3 others are active on the forum, and only 2 others are interested in participating in local events.

I suggest making contact with people you see posting on the forum. This shows they are active, and gives you a way to get to know them before inviting them to an event.

demnogis

imported post

A Ecnalg,
I had the same problem months ago. If you're OK with a small meetup I'm good for lunch and some dinner occasions. I don't put out on the first date, though :p

I jest... But maybe we should start with a small reliable group, and look to expand/convert others...

Nopal

imported post

I got the PM. No offense meant, but comingfrom a guy with 4 posts (at the time) and nothingelse in theprofile, I wasn't sure what to make of it (not that I have that many posts myself, but anyway). Perhaps I'm paranoid or something.

I was there for Demnogis's meet-and-greet a couple of months ago, where three of us showed up. There is interest, but not a lot. Some of us are very interested, defintely enough to form a small and reliable group.

I suggest that instead of starting with PMs, youpropose a meeting in the forum itself where people can get to know you, and see how much interest you get that way.

A ECNALG

imported post

I live between Las Vegas and the city of Orange. I would be interested. Sending a PM.
Your interest is appreciated. However, I feel it important to cultivate a group of Orange Countians before outsourcing.
Going by the people who have signed up would be a bad way of determining interest I think. Lots of people come and go, a few stick around for a long time.
Perhaps, but it is a starting point.
I haven't heard of anybody having success doing a completely private event which was organized without a public forum post.
I amquite new to the forum, to be sure. But you'll forgive me for saying that from what postings I have read, well, those organizational meeting that have been publicized have not exactly been stellar successes. Could I do worse?

I'm sure it's possible, but I think the way to do it would be to check to see who is logging in and posting.

Not everyone has listed their "Location" in their profile. Wanted to specifically target (no pun)known Orange County folk.

Just to clarify, the "San Diego Group" has not done the N. County cities. That is the SD Minutemen or Gerald's group.
San Diego Minutemen Second Amemndment.

We will get UOCing in the OC it will just take a few people that have a hugh drive to do it.

I figure a half dozen motivated folk is all we need to start.

It could also be that you have a very low post count.

Perhaps, but I can go to any number of forums and find people with high post counts who never turn all that keyboard energy into action. I post only when I have something of some value to contribute that hasn't already been stated.

I suspect people here want to "get to know you" online before meeting in person, especially if you're trying to organize an event of any kind where guns are involved.

Chemist, B.S. degree 1986, CSUF.

Gun owner since 1990.

Member of Gun Owners' ACTION Committee for over ten years, until it disbanded. Among other things, this groupannually heldthe infamous "Speed Challenge." This event was the politically incorrect response to the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Ban. We openly encouraged people to bring out their evil black guns for a day of competition and defiance.

NRA Life Member since 1994.

Former NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Firearms.

Former NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol.

Former NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection.

Precinct-walked my tookus off for Mike Carona when he first ran for Sheriff in the hope of seeing some loosening of CCW issuance in Orange County.

Letter-stuffed and precinct-walks for a great many pro-gun rights candidates down through the years.

Protested at day laborer (illegal alien) hiring sites, and have taken my greivance before numerous city councils regarding same.

Currently holstering aLOADED Glock 23 on the U.S.-Mexico border as I and a group consisting of ranchers, attorneys, physicians, engineers, steel-workers, fixed-wing pilots, at-risk youth workers and active-duty marines monitor, document and reportto Border Patrol the movements of human and narcotics smugglers some 55 miles east of the city of San Diego.

Haveexperienced "basic training"in the recent Encinitas and Oceanside Open Carry events successfully executed by members of San Diego Minutemen Second Amendment.

Uhh, what else wouldanyone like to know about me that can't be learned ata clubhouse meeting?

EVERY PERSON ???!!! Again, I am new here, but aside from Demnogis trying to get something going in Orange County recently, justwho andwhereare all these other LEADERS of whom you speak?

And yes, Iwas not about toeven think of organizing a meeting of Orange Countiansuntil after participating in those two San Diego County events. In fact, my hope was to get some OCUOC'ers to also get some basic training with a seasoned group (SDMM2A) before we starting here.

In my case, I decided to put it out there to organize the monthly meetups because 1. nobody else was doing it, and 2. because I couldn't find any other meetups where I could join in as a newbie. So I decided to offer up monthly meetup organizing efforts and the response was positive. More power to all in the same boat who are enthused, excited,knowledgeable and have the time.

Thank you. I tend to shy away from "leadership" roles, that's just my nature. But as a retired New York City cop once told me when I workedin the Garden Grove Police Department's Property and Evidence Room as a senior in high school: "If you want an idiot to do something right, you gotta do it yourself !"

I suggest making contact with people you see posting on the forum. This shows they are active, and gives you a way to get to know them before inviting them to an event.

Perhaps this postingand my original threadrantings will stimulate some movement. Kinda figure that getting to know someone through their postings is a good start, but face-to-face verbal com is better yet.

But maybe we should start with a small reliable group, and look to expand/convert others...
A dozen people will pretty much ensure that half a dozen will be available for most events. And honestly, a half dozen seems to be an ideal number for group UOC. Yes, as we hold events and post after-action-reports and videos, others will become motivated.
I got the PM. No offense meant, but comingfrom a guy with 4 posts (at the time) and nothingelse in theprofile, I wasn't sure what to make of it (not that I have that many posts myself, but anyway). Perhaps I'm paranoid or something.
No offense taken. In fact, I did have to struggle with thesuspicion that your responsemight be the norm.

I was there for Demnogis's meet-and-greet a couple of months ago, where three of us showed up. There is interest, but not a lot. Some of us are very interested, defintely enough to form a small and reliable group.
I was very new to theforum when thisoccured, so Imissed out. I believe a dozen or so were invited, but, well, you know the rest.

I suggest that instead of starting with PMs, youpropose a meeting in the forum itself where people can get to know you, and see how much interest you get that way.

Well, let's see what kind of response I get to this post.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Sorry, just got done taking my statistical analysis class haha.. and toclarify, a random sampling of Orange County OC'ers was not done here. Not every Orange County resident who OC's had an equal chance of being picked, just a few people in a forum had that chance.Though I still realize your frustration ;)