• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

iWatch: Big city police chiefs are backing an anti-terrorism community watch program

Repeater

imported post

Will this LAPD effort encourage more "Man with a gun" reports?

Seems ominous.

iWatch

What Suspicious Behaviors and Activities Should You Report?

Here are examples of behaviors and activities to report:
  • People drawing or measuring important buildings.
  • Strangers asking questions about security or building security procedures.
  • Briefcase, suitcase, backpack, or package left behind.
  • Cars or trucks left in No Parking zones in front of important buildings.
  • Intruders in secure areas where they are not supposed to be.
  • A person wearing clothes that are too big and too hot for the weather.
  • Chemical smells or fumes that worry you.
  • People asking questions about sensitive information such as building blueprints, security plans, or VIP travel schedules without a right or need to know.
  • Purchasing supplies or equipment that can be used to make bombs or weapons or purchasing uniforms without having the proper credentials.
Important Places to Watch
  • Government buildings
  • Religious facilities
  • Amusement parks
  • Sports/Entertainment venues
  • High-rise buildings
  • Mass-gathering locations—parades, fairs, etc.
  • Schools
  • Hotels
  • Theaters
  • Shopping malls
  • Bridges
  • Public transportation

j2l3

imported post

Doubt it.. these have been standard things in the security field for years.. and not the first, or even the second time, I have seen this published for the general public... Most people will ignore it anyway... they usually do.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, MWAG reports are usually based on someone seeing a Man With A Gun. There is no need for the MWAG to be doing any of the listed activitiesbefore folks to go ahead and call in a MWAG report.

On the other hand, if we could get dispatchers to ask a few questions about what the MWAG was doing besides being a MWAG there might be a few less times that cops come screaming out of the woodwork like the Keystone Kops. If the dispatchers also explained to the caller that most times the MWAG was acting perfectly legally and peacefully, there might be a reduction in the number of MWAG calls.

stay safe.

skidmark

Dreamer

imported post

I'm a graduate student in the MFA program. I think that perhaps I may have to organize a "protest sketching" where a bunch of illustration students descend on local Federal Buildings, Power Plants, and Telephone Offices to (GASP!) make SKETCHES of them.:shock:

Oh, those dirty, evil artists, and their PSMD's (Pastel Sticks of Mass Destruction). :?

Civil disobedience is most effective when it is so absurd that ANY response to it from "official channels" would be viewed as ridiculous and extreme by the public. If only ALL activists had a better knowledge of Surrealist and Dada philosophy... :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

darthmord

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I'm a graduate student in the MFA program. I think that perhaps I may have to organize a "protest sketching" where a bunch of illustration students descend on local Federal Buildings, Power Plants, and Telephone Offices to (GASP!) make SKETCHES of them.:shock:

Oh, those dirty, evil artists, and their PSMD's (Pastel Sticks of Mass Destruction). :?

Civil disobedience is most effective when it is so absurd that ANY response to it from "official channels" would be viewed as ridiculous and extreme by the public. If only ALL activists had a better knowledge of Surrealist and Dada philosophy... :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I can see it now... cited for Malicious Wounding (of someone's pride)...

For drawing a satirical comic of a building. :lol:

jaegan

imported post

skidmark wrote:
On the other hand, if we could get dispatchers to ask a few questions about what the MWAG was doing besides being a MWAG there might be a few less times that cops come screaming out of the woodwork like the Keystone Kops. If the dispatchers also explained to the caller that most times the MWAG was acting perfectly legally and peacefully, there might be a reduction in the number of MWAG calls.
Some of us do, but the reality of the situation is we also go ahead and send an officer, because if we don't and something bad _does_ happen, we're the ones who get fired and sued. The best way to reduce MWAG calls is for more people to carry guns, openly. The less unusual it becomes, the less people will feel alarmed by it.

Luckily where I am, open carry is more likely to result in the carrier being asked where he got that holster, and what model gun is he carrying, than a call to me. On the infrequent occasion that I get that call, the caller is invariably not from around here.