• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cc on private property in states that don't recognize my ccw

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
IIRC from my research from a while back... A combination of Utah, Virginia, Florida, and your home state is about as close as you can get to full reciprocity (however, there are still plenty of exceptions...) For example: I was considering getting only a Virginia non-res permit as it will cover me most everywhere I go and doesn't have as many hoops to go through as Texas... Then I discovered that although Illinois recognizes Virginia's permit, it will ONLY recognize a permit from the state you currently are a resident of, therefore a non-res Virginia permit will not cover me when visiting my parents....
What now? Illinois recognizes Virginia permits to conceal handguns?

I think you're mistaken.
I may very well be mistaken, but I did qualify my entire statement as going from memory! And that was not the point of the statement at all!
The point was (for those that missed it):
Illinois does NOT recognize ANY 'non-resident' permit! And I think that there may be a few other states with similar requirements, so, if you plan to travel much, you need a permit from your own state, as well as possibly a few 'non-res' permits...

Either way, thanks for correcting my mis-remembered information... One of the states I was looking at is recognized by Illinois (I thought it was Virginia) but the 'resident permit' requirement makes that a moot point!

virginiatuck

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
IIRC from my research from a while back... A combination of Utah, Virginia, Florida, and your home state is about as close as you can get to full reciprocity (however, there are still plenty of exceptions...) For example: I was considering getting only a Virginia non-res permit as it will cover me most everywhere I go and doesn't have as many hoops to go through as Texas... Then I discovered that although Illinois recognizes Virginia's permit, it will ONLY recognize a permit from the state you currently are a resident of, therefore a non-res Virginia permit will not cover me when visiting my parents....

I think you're mistaken.
I may very well be mistaken, but I did qualify my entire statement as going from memory! And that was not the point of the statement at all!
Illinois does NOT recognize ANY 'non-resident' permit! And I think that there may be a few other states with similar requirements, so, if you plan to travel much, you need a permit from your own state, as well as possibly a few 'non-res' permits...

Either way, thanks for correcting my mis-remembered information... One of the states I was looking at is recognized by Illinois (I thought it was Virginia) but the 'resident permit' requirement makes that a moot point!
To my knowledge Illinois does not recognize any permit from any state, whether or not you're a resident of that state. I'm interested in your source on the Illinois law; if Illinois has recently started any kind of out-of-state permit recognition system, that would be really big news around here.

As to the non-resident disqualification that you speak of: to my knowledge (and per handgunlaw.us), of states that have reciprocity or recognition of out-of-state permits, the only states that currently require a permit holder to be a resident of the issuing state are:
Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

P.S. I understand you were going from memory; I know my memory doesn't serve me well half the time. I'm not trying to frustrate you or personally attack you. I'm just trying to work out the facts and share what I know. Peace.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:

I think you're mistaken.

To my knowledge Illinois does not recognize any permit from any state, whether or not you're a resident of that state. I'm interested in your source on the Illinois law; if Illinois has recently started any kind of out-of-state permit recognition system, that would be really big news around here.

As to the non-resident disqualification that you speak of: to my knowledge (and per handgunlaw.us), of states that have reciprocity or recognition of out-of-state permits, the only states that currently require a permit holder to be a resident of the issuing state are:
Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

P.S. I understand you were going from memory; I know my memory doesn't serve me well half the time. I'm not trying to frustrate you or personally attack you. I'm just trying to work out the facts and share what I know. Peace.
Hmmm.... Tuck; you now have me scratching my head... I must be getting old now, my memory is apparently really failing me lately (seriously, over the last 2-3 days I've been called on a lot of things that I'm normally on the money on! Many of my friends are telling me that I seriously need some sleep and R&R... I'm not very familiar with either of those!)

Looking back at the reciprocity pdf (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf) the only thing I can think of is that I was looking at Iowa (my parents lived there when I was doing my research, but are now back to IL where they were before...) and that I read/remembered the notes at the bottom backwards, or that I got info overload at the time:banghead::banghead::banghead:
I had looked at WAY too much information at the time....