Thread: Subsonic Ammunition For Personal Defense

Post imported post

At a gun show last month I bought some personal defense ammo (10mm) from a private seller tableandthe guythrew in a partial box of Winchester Super-X, 180 gr. JHP that was marked "Subsonic."

What's the deal with subsonic ammo? What are the factors in considering this stuff for personal defense application? Benefits/detriments? Is it any good? Anybody use it?

I've never bought any or looked into it...

Post imported post

so that you can hear the cop that is trying to talk to you after you shoot the BG

Post imported post

here i just turned up this http://www.thegunzone.com/buzzwords.html

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Subsonic is what you want when you're using a suppressor.

Without subsonic rounds, the suppressor still does it's job by lowering the muzzle-blast that is heard, but the projectile breaking the speed of sound still creates a loud "Crack" noise going down range which kinda defeats having a suppressor in the first place

I wouldn't carry it for a defensive round without first verifying its penetration capabilities.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

With the current selection of superb modern defensive ammunition, I would be reluctant to carry a subsonic load, especially in calibers like 9mm and below (power wise). I just don't see the advantage to it.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Hank, Do you have a supressor for your 10mm? Tell me you are not the one we thought you were!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Hank, Do you have a supressor for your 10mm? Tell me you are not the one we thought you were!
    No, T, I don't have a suppressor for any of my 10mm semi-autos. I haven't gone over to the 'dark side.'

Yet.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Post imported post

All .45ACP is subsonic. Large cross sectional pistol bullets more than make up for lack of MV by mass X MV superiority. The 9MM needs supersonic MV to make up for smaller mass, i.e., 115 gr vice 230 gr in .45ACP. Some prefer the 147gr 9MM which is subsonic. Personally, I use +P+ 124 or 115gr 9MMs. I like supersonic speeds in that sized round. But people who's opinion I respect prefer the 147s. I think you'd be fine with either. And a 10MM splits the cross sectional 9 v .45 debate nicely.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    All .45ACP is subsonic.
    Speed of sound is 1085 fps. Remington Golden Saber .45 185gr+P is 1140fps.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

That is correct but too precise with conditions of air temperature, pressure and humidity not specified.

I'd probably use 1150 fps in air as a rule of thumb because it has a least significant digit of zero, preceded by a five and the two ones. Calculating is easier with nice numbers.

I also remember 5,000 fps in seawater and 15,000 fps in steel.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    Subsonic is what you want when you're using a suppressor.

Without subsonic rounds, the suppressor still does it's job by lowering the muzzle-blast that is heard, but the projectile breaking the speed of sound still creates a loud "Crack" noise going down range which kinda defeats having a suppressor in the first place

I wouldn't carry it for a defensive round without first verifying its penetration capabilities.
    This 100%
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

158 grain 9mm IMI Subsonic gets the job done.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Subsonic ammo for self defense is just as good as supersonic ammo - if it hits where it will contribute to stopping the threat.

See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/32361.htmlfor some more of the foolishness about "stopping power" being the most important consideration for self defense ammo.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Obviously there are many, many factors to consider in such a decision, but one thing that may be helpful to a certain extent is that the energy equation for a moving object is:

E = 1/2 * mass * velocity (squared)

That is why smaller bullets traveling at a higher speed often carry more foot-pounds of energy, the velocity component is squared, giving it much more influence in the equation.

Again... many, many factors to consider, this is just the foundation from which you start.

TFred

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    All .45ACP is subsonic.
    Speed of sound is 1085 fps. Remington Golden Saber .45 185gr+P is 1140fps.
    To be precise, it depends on the altitude and ambient temperature. It is 1118.4 fps at the standard datum plane, 60 degrees F. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...nd/souspe.html. (I should have specified 230gr .45ACPS.)

Flying supersonic fighter planes, we always used 1150 fps in calculations.
    Mach goes up as temps go down, like at altitude.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Banned

Post imported post

The best fighter pilots always eat a super subsonic meatball sandwich, which has at least 6 meatballs and lots of cheese and sauce.

There's a new French Dip place here in Sunnyvale, California that is really good!