• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

about carrying a 3rd backup gun

LTTTI

imported post

i had an argument with a friend about using the same ammo for all 3 guns. his idea was that it would save money in the long run (with having to buy ammo that goes with either the primary or secondary weapon) but i believe it's a major safety issue.

hypothetically..if my primary is .45, secondary weapon is .40 and third weapon uses .40..there is a chance a suspect in a physical struggle could get my secondary weapon AND have an extra clip of ammunition (from the 3rd backup if he gets that too). but if my 3rd weapon uses 9mm, 38+P or .357 then the suspect wouldn't be able to load the primary or secondary if he wrestled it away from me.

Has anyone else thought about this before? when you carry two (or three) weapons..do you use the same ammo or different for each gun?

B

Bikenut

imported post

I can't help but think that if a bad guy manages to get any of my BUGs and then has the time to reload my empty primary gun he also grabbed... and I didn't/couldn't do anything about all that I would instantly perform the "gymnastic self defense technique" of....

kissing my arse goodbye.

:what::lol:

Carnivore

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
I can't help but think that if a bad guy manages to get any of my BUGs and then has the time to reload my empty primary gun he also grabbed... and I didn't/couldn't do anything about all that I would instantly perform the "gymnastic self defense technique" of....

kissing my arse goodbye.

+1000

Anyone who gets a first , and then a second sefldefense gun taken from his personin a physical altercation needs to be living is a bullet proof glass bubble in the first place. That way when you do recognize the situation that you might need to use one in a threat, you'll only harm yourself by firing said firearm/firearms inside your own little world.

Gunslinger

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

kissing my arse goodbye.

+1000

Anyone who gets a first , and then a second sefldefense gun taken from his personin a physical altercation needs to be living is a bullet proof glass bubble in the first place. That way when you do recognize the situation that you might need to use one in a threat, you'll only harm yourself by firing said firearm/firearms inside your own little world.
LoL!:D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LTTTI wrote:
i had an argument with a friend about using the same ammo for all 3 guns. his idea was that it would save money in the long run (with having to buy ammo that goes with either the primary or secondary weapon) but i believe it's a major safety issue.

hypothetically..if my primary is .45, secondary weapon is .40 and third weapon uses .40..there is a chance a suspect in a physical struggle could get my secondary weapon AND have an extra clip of ammunition (from the 3rd backup if he gets that too). but if my 3rd weapon uses 9mm, 38+P or .357 then the suspect wouldn't be able to load the primary or secondary if he wrestled it away from me.

Has anyone else thought about this before? when you carry two (or three) weapons..do you use the same ammo or different for each gun?

Unlikely. To the point of being neglible.

Maybe think of some more pressiong issues. When's the last time you were at the range?

protias

imported post

I may carry a backup firearm, but at this time, I only carry one.

Oh, and...

magazine%20vs%20clip.jpg

;)

45acpForMe

imported post

LTTTI wrote:
i had an argument with a friend about using the same ammo for all 3 guns.
I rarelycarry 3 guns but I do carry two most of the time and they are both 45acp. I like the thought of being able to share ammo even though the need is probably low. It also makes it simple when I stock ammo.

I would think that anyone that can take away one or both of your guns won't need to reload. In my opinion, one or both of you will be dead before a reload is needed.

I would also think that carrying different ammo is ok if all you have are 3 different caliber guns. Also it would be better to have larger calibers like1-45acp and 2-25acp guns rather than 3-25acp guns. :)

LTTTI

imported post

thats what im figuring..which is why my argument was focusing around the suspect not being able to reload a disarmed primary or secondary weapon with the backup clips from the 3rd. though based on personal preference i dont trust the 25acp caliber

ODA 226

imported post

IF YOU THINK YOU NEED TO CARRY THREE HANDGUNS, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE CARRYING A RIFLE!

JUST A THOUGHT BASED ON 30+YEARS OF SPECIAL FORCES AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE....

darthmord

imported post

Geez, the most I carry is two, a 9mm and a .380. I don't see a need for more than two.

Though one time I did have 3 firearms on my person, two of which were concealed. Won't do it again. That much stuff in my waistband made walking & sitting uncomfortable.

B

Bikenut

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
IF YOU THINK YOU NEED TO CARRY THREE HANDGUNS, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE CARRYING A RIFLE!

JUST A THOUGHT BASED ON 30+YEARS OF SPECIAL FORCES AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE....
Perhaps there are other factors to consider... such as accessibility while seated within the confines of a vehicle... and upping the round count without having to take the chance of screwing up a mag change.... oh... and how many rounds did you have with you in LE?

Some folks carefully consider what their threat risk level is and base their decisions (all factors being considered) on how best to counter that threat level.

Just a thought based upon my personal life.

ODA 226

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

oh... and how many rounds did you have with you in LE?
25...I carry 24 now.

Some folks carefully consider what their threat risk level is and base their decisions (all factors being considered) on how best to counter that threat level.
And some people have no clue how to make an accurate risk assessment....

I can respect that! ;)

buster81

imported post

But, what about your fourth backup gun? It should be an odd calibre, just incase the BG brought alonghis own supply of common rounds.

Ezrider

imported post

i have a .25 auto pocket pistol and i agree it probably has to be one of the most anemic of a self defense round, i don' t doubt that i would get the job done with the right ammo, i think i would be better off with a pocket pistol in .22LR though than the .25 in ether one a good self defense round is mandatory though as well as even more important is shot placement. I almost would like to start reloading my own 25auto and load it with the max powder charge for the casing. i don't think they could try to claim excessive force by an super hot reload in .25 lol. although i don't think carrying the same or multiple calibers really makes a difference i think loading your primary and backup guns with different ammo is not a bad idea though, such a heavy penetrating ammo for someone wearing heavy clothing in a open area and a ligher penitrating load to prevent over penitration in an more crouded enviroment. this can be a little more easly accived by using different calibers but can also be done by using differnt ammo of the same caliber.

B

Bikenut

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

If, after careful consideration of all factors, I decided a rifle/shotgun was needed........ I'd have at least one with me.

oh... and how many rounds did you have with you in LE?
25...I carry 24 now.

And I have a round count of................. 26.

And some people have no clue how to make an accurate risk assessment....

I agree. But that not only applies to folks who carry what others think is a large capacity but also when a person thinks their 5 shot snub will do because they could never ever possibly find themselves in a 20 shot situation.

I can respect that! ;)

The following isn't directed at you Sir... but is a general comment.

Actually, if folks were honest, they would understand that reasonable people make reasonable decisions according to the factors operative in their personal lives... and refrain from judging others decisions since not everyone has the same things going on in their lives.

So... how many guns do I carry? As many as I think I have a high possibility/probability (most important word being "probability" not "possibility") of needing since I already know that under the adrenaline stress of a real life or death situation a perfect mag change/clear a malfunction cannot be depended upon. Nor can I depend on my strong hand being free, nor is a hip carried gun easily accessed when sitting in a little car, nor do I have the faintest clue how many rounds will be needed to successfully survive the "probable"/possible situations I may face that day.

A sidebar story:
I was stopped for speeding (20mph over... I wasn't paying attention to the speedo and admitted it) one dark and gloomy 4am in a nice part of town on my way to a very bad part of town while working. When I told the officer how many guns were with me he called for back up. Back up arrived, my guns were checked for legality, an interesting discussion was had about my CZ52, and I was sent on my way with a warning to slow down... and to be careful. Not once was a question raised concerning the number of guns. And no, I'm not telling.... but I knew where I was going and what I might have to respond to.

I firmly believe that folks who decide to carry guns for defense of self/possibly others should spend the money for training, training DVD's, spend time on the 'net looking up self defense techniques, or all three, and praticing... practicing... PRACTICING... everything from learning what "awareness" really means, to decision making under stress, to using range time to learn how to use a gun to save themselves.

The good thing is.... judging from the majority of posts most folks who frequent this site actually are reasonable people. (I'm not counting the humorous posts that are actually quite funny!)

Ok... cue HankT..........

B

Bikenut

imported post

Ezrider wrote:
i have a .25 auto pocket pistol and i agree it probably has to be one of the most anemic of a self defense round, i don' t doubt that i would get the job done with the right ammo, i think i would be better off with a pocket pistol in .22LR though than the .25 in ether one a good self defense round is mandatory though as well as even more important is shot placement. I almost would like to start reloading my own 25auto and load it with the max powder charge for the casing. i don't think they could try to claim excessive force by an super hot reload in .25 lol. although i don't think carrying the same or multiple calibers really makes a difference i think loading your primary and backup guns with different ammo is not a bad idea though, such a heavy penetrating ammo for someone wearing heavy clothing in a open area and a ligher penitrating load to prevent over penitration in an more crouded enviroment. this can be a little more easly accived by using different calibers but can also be done by using differnt ammo of the same caliber.
Nearly all self defense handgun ammo of all calibers is engineered to achieve the same optimum penetration of somewhere around 14 to 18 inches. Doesn't matter what the caliber... the engineers played with bullet construction/powder charges to achieve that because that is what works the best to stop an attacker.

Bullet ballistics figures and photos can be found on the 'net.

Hence... worrying about grabbing the right gun for the right circumstances is pointless.... especially since, when in fear of our lives, whichever gun comes to hand is the one we will use.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm pretty secure in carrying my USP 45 OC or CC. If I feel I'm going into a "higher threat situation", I may carry 1 or 2 extra magazines to have a total of 24 or 36 rounds...

I'm pretty confident in my abilities and believe 12 rounds should take care of all problems excepta well-organized Zombie Invasion...:uhoh: