• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Use your keyboard and the internet as a weapon of self defense

Edward Peruta

imported post

As a resident of several states, including California, I thought this posting in the Connecticut Section should be shared with other open carry readers.

I'll be back in San Diego in the near future.

Collectively the media reports on incidents where firearms are used against other citizens

Most articles have an area where we may post our thoughts on the story.

We should contribute/post our thoughts and comments on articles that portray firearms in a negative light. Almost every article fails to mention that the victims were NOT armed for self defense.

On rare occasions we read of the victim using his firearm in self defense, but the stories are rare because most people have lost their sense of SELF[/b] defense.

The Hartford Courant, has published another article about overnight robberies and violence.

Every time a paper or media source publishes or reports a violent act by a person with a firearm, we should be posting our opinions and observations.

Here is what I posted to the Hartford Courant’s website this morning.

Every honest law abiding resident of Hartford should make application for a pistol permit and start carrying a firearm for self defense.

This and other similar stories demonstrates why our State and Federal Constitutions give us the right to keep and bear arms in self defense. Every time the Courant prints a story about how a gun was used offensively, we should wonder why there was no gun available for self defense.

I'm sure that somewhere in theCourant archives there are historical accounts ofConnecticut settlers fighting back against Indians with the firearms they kept and carried!!!

There were no police departments to call when attacked!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Here is the article

Courant.com
Hartford Police Investigate Series Of Overnight Armed Robberies
The Hartford Courant

11:46 AM EDT, October 3, 2009

HARTFORD

Police are investigating a series of armed robberies between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. Saturday, including one where a man was shot.

At 2:49 a.m. police were called to 3555 Main St. in the city’s North end for a report that a person had been shot outside a night club. The incident was apparently a robbery attempt, and the victim was taken to an area hospital and was listed in critical condition.

The suspects were described as two black males with silver revolvers.

Just a few minutes earlier, police had responded to an armed robbery report near the South end on Park Street. A man reported that two men approached him, showed a gun and demanded jewelry. The suspects fled onto Broad Street, and no shots were fired.

The victim had a minor injury to his ear, but it was unclear how his ear was injured, police said.

Shortly after 1 a.m., a resident in an apartment complex at 86 Webster St. was robbed by two men who knocked on his door, police said.

The resident thought he recognized the voice, so he opened the door but was threatened with a handgun and robbed of $25, police said. The suspects fled and the resident was not injured.

The Major Crimes Division is investigating all three robberies, police said.

-- Shawn R. Beals

greengum

imported post

I don't get it. What do you plan on getting out of researching and reposting or linking to news articles? I mean pretty much every one has the same views here when it comes to gun Rights. I could see having a thread like this if an influx of random people came to this forum that were not pro gun. I'm not trying to be an ass about it nor am I some pro-poster here. I just think that the time I personally put into research and discussion with the limited time i have to devote to these causes would be better spent on case laws and helping other who have had their Rights violated. We all know it is bad out there. We read the articles each morning. But I think preaching to the choir is an effort in futility. I do admire your effort though and maybe I am missing something in my logic and maybe this is a great idea. It is 6am, I've been known to do dumber things!

Edward Peruta

imported post

First, your point is well taken,

Items posted on this board are picked up in google searches by manyfirst timers to the issues posted on this forum.

Second, to avocate and suggest other ways to present issues to the general public is in my humble opinion a great way to correct the problems addressed on this board.

I have no problems openly carrying my firearm, fighting the legal battles in states that take away or deny my rights, and spend a great deal of time and money on defending the 2nd amendment.

There is more to fighting this battle than reading case law, some of us have to file lawsuits or get arrested and appeal to make the cases before they can be cited.

There isa publicity battle going on in the media and if pro self defense comments aren't made where non gun owning voters read, the battle may be lost.

From now on, you have my blessing to avoid any posts under my real name, it's simple and won't waste any of your time.

mjones

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Every time a paper or media source publishes or reports a violent act by a person with a firearm, we should be posting our opinions and observations.

Green, I think what Ed is saying is not that we should be reposting them here....but that we should be going to the comments section of each of these online stories and point out the fact that 'if the victimwaslegally armedthe result might be different'

Captain_Awesome

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
There isa publicity battle going on in the media and if pro self defense comments aren't made where non gun owning voters read, the battle may be lost.
I agree. I think that's one of the reasons we open carry in the first place. To show people that gun owners are normal people who just want to be able to protect themselves. A huge part of our battle is, in fact, a matter of publicity. For too long gun owners have been portrayed as lunatics, and as a result noone has had a problem with the second amendment slowly being worn away.

I like your idea Ed.

greengum

imported post

mjones wrote:
Edward Peruta wrote:

Green, I think what Ed is saying is not that we should be reposting them here....but that we should be going to the comments section of each of these online stories and point out the fact that 'if the victimwaslegally armedthe result might be different'
Then I agree if that is the case.