• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsman Outpost - Wolcott

dwayner79

imported post

All,

Just a note about this store. I have gone in their a few times, and always bring the kids (I normally have the baby in the car seat because the only free time I get is when my wife is at work). I have been in that store a few times, and always remember why I go so infrequently.

I had considered discussing OC with the owner, but when I got there he was busy talking with another customer. After 5 minutes I realized these guys are just BSing. I had to force my way into their conversation to get a look at a few revolvers.

I bought my obligatory box of ammo and left. The guy in there has Zero customer service focus. As a fairly newb to guns, I sometimes ask some simple questions, and he always has a way of making me feel like an idiot for asking. From what I could tell, his prices were pretty high. Long story short, I would rather drive over to Hoffman's or Cabelas even before going back there.

I did not see any CCDL paraphernalia there, so if one of you guys can stomach it, there is another shop to visit.

Lon

imported post

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

I have been there three different times, ready to spend money, only to walk out with the money in my pocket, unspent. Twice I stood there with money and merchandise in hand trying, unsuccessfully, to get waited on.

There are just too many other gun shops in the area for me to return.

Fejrey616

imported post

Was it Mike Cortigiano? He was the owner the last time I was there, admittedly quite some time ago. I myself have never had an experience like this at all. I have bought several firearms from this establishment, both handguns and longarms, and have also sold many to them. I have always found Mike to be cordial, and helpful. I also found his prices, 5ish years ago, to be the best I could find on the items I was looking for, Kimber pistols specifically. He had a guy that worked for him that I found to be intolerable, but he was not the owner.

I have not shopped there in quite some time, and I am not a newb to firearms. I do not know what questions were asked, but I have a hard time accepting that Mike has changed that much. If it is your experience that you did not get treated like a welcomed and valued customer, then do not shop there.

I hope this is just some misunderstanding, or maybe a bad day. I referred several friends to this store and they were all very happy. All, including myself, work in Law Enforcement, but that should not dictate treatment of a customer.

As for CCDL literature, I would be willing to bring some to the store, as soon as I can get ahold of some. That way you won' have to suffer another bad experience, and I can get a fresh perspective on what had been my favorite gun store.

Lon

imported post

I have no idea what anyone's name is there.

Perhaps I just caught everyone on a bad day - three times. :)

AGust82

imported post

On your way up to Hoffman's or Cabela's stop by Jojo's Gun Works in Southington. These guys are great and have great customer service focus. They will usually stick something in your hand with a "check this thing out" when they have a new or rare firearm in the case.

http://www.jojosgunworks.com/

Lon

imported post

AGust82 wrote:
On your way up to Hoffman's or Cabela's stop by Jojo's Gun Works in Southington.  These guys are great and have great customer service focus.  They will usually stick something in your hand with a "check this thing out" when they have a new or rare firearm in the case.

http://www.jojosgunworks.com/

Been there several times; spent money several times.

I need to return to get some work done on my S&W Mod34.

dwayner79

imported post

Hey, I will check out JOJO's

Nice to see something so close. I had no idea it was there. My wife and I love Puerto Vallarta just up the street.

Fejrey, funny you mentioned your in LE. The guy he was talking with had a State police jacket on. If he wants to be focussed on LEOs then so be it. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Fejrey616 wrote:
Was it Mike Cortigiano? He was the owner the last time I was there, admittedly quite some time ago. I myself have never had an experience like this at all. I have bought several firearms from this establishment, both handguns and longarms, and have also sold many to them. I have always found Mike to be cordial, and helpful. I also found his prices, 5ish years ago, to be the best I could find on the items I was looking for, Kimber pistols specifically. He had a guy that worked for him that I found to be intolerable, but he was not the owner.

I have not shopped there in quite some time, and I am not a newb to firearms. I do not know what questions were asked, but I have a hard time accepting that Mike has changed that much. If it is your experience that you did not get treated like a welcomed and valued customer, then do not shop there.

I hope this is just some misunderstanding, or maybe a bad day. I referred several friends to this store and they were all very happy. All, including myself, work in Law Enforcement, but that should not dictate treatment of a customer.

As for CCDL literature, I would be willing to bring some to the store, as soon as I can get ahold of some. That way you won' have to suffer another bad experience, and I can get a fresh perspective on what had been my favorite gun store.
CCDL Literature is always available at our monthly meetings.

For meeting info and driving directions (Google Map)

www.ccdl.us

Fejrey616

imported post

Yea, JoJo's is fantastic. That is why I have not been to Sportsman's Outpost in such a long time.

grmj

nope,you didnt catch him on a bad day

I have no idea what anyone's name is there.

Perhaps I just caught everyone on a bad day - three times. :)
i dont know his name either but its not mike the owner,he is actually a good guy,its the guy whos there when mike isnt,and i also had the same experience,i went there to buy a rifle,i also dont know alot about guns,he also made me feel like an idiot,then i also had to butt into his BSin conversation to get him to help me,then when i did buy my rifle i was ready to buy other stuff ,then he just kept me standing there and i had to say,whats up!!!! im not done buyin stuff,he got an attitude,so i told mike about it and he said hes heard this before and hes gonna talk to him about it.i told mike i wont come in when hes there,hes a real F' in A hole.hes killin business keepin that guy

GrandZJ

I'm in there fairly frequently since it's barely a few minutes away, and Mike is a great guy. The others, not so much.