• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting some land

arizonaheat

imported post

I Finally got some money to move away from the city :celebrate, my question is can i fire my guns in my property its about 50 acres out by show low there are no homes near for like 2 miles I want to built a small range but so far I don't know if a can.

AZkopper

imported post

If you are in an unincorporated area (sounds like you are), and are not shooting in a direction of people/structures (sounds pretty safe with 50 acres), you can shoot to your hearts content.

As far as building a range, I know of people who have done so, so it CAN be done. You'd need to check with your county zoning laws, and possibly even with EPA.

If you are just talking about renting a dozer and pushing up dirt for a burm, and setting up a small covered lean-to with a bench rest and such, I'd say no need to check with zoning. It would be a minimal structure (basically a shed).

I don't know Graham County zoning laws, nor am I an expert on the ins-and-outs of firing ranges, so take all I saw with a grain of salt (or black powder, if preferred).

crisisweasel

imported post

Let us know how that goes. I am saving up for land right now myself and wondered about that too. The ability to shoot on my property would be a prerequisite for any land I buy. Ideally I would like a wilderness plot abutting that of another shooter.

JesseL

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
No other inhabited dwellings within a 1/4 mile? Fire away!
Doesn't that only apply to hunting situations?

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00309.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS

For non-hunting shooting, the only law I can find is this, which only limits shooting within a municipality:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03107.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

Of course prudence is always called for. I'm sure some variation of reckless endangerment still applies if your rounds are landing too close to an occupied structure.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

JesseL wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
No other inhabited dwellings within a 1/4 mile? Fire away!
Doesn't that only apply to hunting situations?

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00309.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS

For non-hunting shooting, the only law I can find is this, which only limits shooting within a municipality:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03107.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

Of course prudence is always called for. I'm sure some variation of reckless endangerment still applies if your rounds are landing too close to an occupied structure.

If there's no law against it... then it's legal.

arizonaheat

imported post

I CAN fire away until run out of ammo, Not breaking any laws and keeping everyone safe around my property. THE BEST PURCHASE OF MY LIFE.

I will post some pictures of the area and the range set up in a few weeks.

krink85

imported post

If I am not mistaken you can look on NRAs website or contact them for info on building a range. This is what i have read on other forums so take that for what its worth.

arizonaheat

imported post

sorry guys this is taking too long and more money, living of the grit takes time to set up (electric solar panels , water , septic, all the stuff) and the house is not there get. have to phase my self before i run out of green.