• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I made a little boy cry today...

Metalhead47

imported post

The more I think about this event the sadder it makes me. My wife & I were in the local HippieMart grocery store earlier, and I was OCing my HiPoint .45. As we came around the end of an aisle, some poor lil kid takes one look at me & starts crying "Bad man! Bad man!" and proceeds to wail like a banshee. My wife & I headed down the next aisle pretty quickly, just to avoid traumatizing the kid any further (and for her to hide her giggling). Nothing else happened, the mother didn't come after me, the manager bagged our groceries & didn't say a thing. It just really makes me sad how this poor lil kid is so brainwashed already. Then on the way home my wife tells me of an article she saw recently where a 5 year old kid shot & killed an 800lb gator that was coming after him. I'm noticing more & more how utterly dependent the sheep are and they seem to happy to be so. It's really pretty depressing:uhoh:

n16ht5

imported post

oy.. that doesn't sound very fun. What a failure of a parent.

a few months ago at Safeway I was gettin groceries with my fiveseven and a kid said "What the Heck!? He's got a gun!" he didnt cry though LOL

most kids that I know just are curious why I carry a gun, but they don't care that I do.

phoneguy

imported post

There is boy about 10 years old. We were together in the elevator and he ask me why do you carry a gun? I told him for my person protection. I also added you know that there is bad people around and it helps me be safe. Also good people carry guns.
He also said that he never seen a real gun before. His eyes were wide open looking at my Five Seven in a holster.

He is a good kid. I see him a lot and his sister. I hoped I did a little education so now he knows that good people carry guns. I know for certain he will never learn this in school.

Metalhead47

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
The more I think about this event the sadder it makes me. My wife & I were in the local HippieMart grocery store earlier, and I was OCing my HiPoint .45. As we came around the end of an aisle, some poor lil kid takes one look at me & starts crying "Bad man! Bad man!" and proceeds to wail like a banshee.
Are you sure it wasn't just because it was HiPoint he saw?

Oh, wait, I carry a Taurus... nevermind!
Quite sure. He was crying "Bad man" not "ugly gun!"

And our HiPoints are still more reliable than our Taurus :shock:

FunkTrooper

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
oy.. that doesn't sound very fun. What a failure of a parent.

a few months ago at Safeway I was gettin groceries with my fiveseven and a kid said "What the Heck!? He's got a gun!" he didnt cry though LOL

most kids that I know just are curious why I carry a gun, but they don't care that I do.
phone guy wrote:
There is boy about 10 years old. We were together in the elevator and he ask me why do you carry a gun? I told him for my person protection. I also added you know that there is bad people around and it helps me be safe. Also good people carry guns. He also said that he never seen a real gun before. His eyes were wide open looking at my Five Seven in a holster. He is a good kid. I see him a lot and his sister. I hoped I did a little education so now he knows that good people carry guns. I know for certain he will never learn this in school.
Wait wait, you BOTH have Five Sevens?!?!

Pics?

Daath 474

imported post

Having owned my fair share of cheap guns I'd have to say that Taurus is way better than HiPoint... both are trustworthy enough in close distance if you know what you're doing... but still... :uhoh:

I still carry my Taurus pt111 Millenium Pro because it is a small and easy gun to CC in a pocket or waistband.

Mainsail

imported post

You didn't make the little dweeb cry, his parents did. They chose to raise him to be afraid of firearms. Don't beat yourself up over it.

That said, it might have been the highpoint. ;)

Metalhead47

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
You didn't make the little dweeb cry, his parents did. They chose to raise him to be afraid of firearms. Don't beat yourself up over it.

That said, it might have been the highpoint. ;)

No, not beating myself up. Just feel really really sorry for this poor kid. Barely out of diapers & already conditioned to a life of dependency.

I've been reading that "Patriots: A novel of survival" book that last couple weeks. I know I'm way behind the curve on such matters but it's like I'm walking around in awe at all the people I come across every day who lack the slightest shred of self reliance. And to see them passing this mindset on to theirs kids instead of saying "don't be like me son," it's just damn sad.

killchain

imported post

I've never personally fired or dealt with a HiPoint, but I've not heard great things about them. I hear their lifetime no questions replace and repair is good though.

I think Taurus definitely makes prettier pistols though.

BTW, I carry a Taurus PT145, the 4th gen Millennium Pro.

Daath 474

imported post

Oh weird, I looked up the PT145 and it looks almost identical to my PT111, except of course the PT145 is a .45 ACP and mine is 9mm. It said that the PT145 is a 10+1 and the PT111 is a 12+1, which makes sense considering the .45 ACP packs a much bigger punch than the 9mm. Both are pretty compact little guns and as mine is easy to carry, I'd imagine that yours is as well. I'd like to compare weight and everything with one someday if I run into someone that has one!

Metalhead47

imported post

killchain wrote:
I've never personally fired or dealt with a HiPoint, but I've not heard great things about them. I hear their lifetime no questions replace and repair is good though.

I think Taurus definitely makes prettier pistols though.

BTW, I carry a Taurus PT145, the 4th gen Millennium Pro.
It's funny, those that put Hi-Points down usually say exactly the same thing. "I've never personally dealt with one but I hear..." OK no it's not funny. We've got four of them with a few hundred rounds thru, other than new mags & user error:quirky we haven't had any malfunctions. I've talked to those with thousands of rounds thru individual guns with no problems, or at least, no more problems than any other brand (nothing made by man is perfect, no matter the cost). For the price of one "real" gun, I got two carry guns & a backup, plus a plinking rifle (of course there are those that say unless I spent two weeks pay or more on a gun it's not a "real" gun by their standards). They like to throw around the old "how much is your life worth..." bit. Well, my life is worth what I can afford to pay I guess. Does me no good if I spend thousands on a "real" gun only to get evicted & have all my possessions repossessed because I didn't have anything left to pay my rent & bills.

Hef

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Oh weird, I looked up the PT145 and it looks almost identical to my PT111, except of course the PT145 is a .45 ACP and mine is 9mm. It said that the PT145 is a 10+1 and the PT111 is a 12+1, which makes sense considering the .45 ACP packs a much bigger punch than the 9mm. Both are pretty compact little guns and as mine is easy to carry, I'd imagine that yours is as well. I'd like to compare weight and everything with one someday if I run into someone that has one!

I've got a 2006 PT745C in stainless steel that is one of the guns I carry. It's a 6+1 in .45ACP, same as the PT145 except for single stack, so it's just a little slimmer. It's a dead reliable gun. I've never had a malfunction in over 1500 rounds. My only complaint is that magazines are about $30 each.

fire suppressor

imported post

On only thing that makes me want to cry after reading this story is that someone carry's a HiPoint:p Sorry no disrespect there just not for me

Decoligny

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Having owned my fair share of cheap guns I'd have to say that Taurus is way better than HiPoint... both are trustworthy enough in close distance if you know what you're doing... but still... :uhoh:

I still carry my Taurus pt111 Millenium Pro because it is a small and easy gun to CC in a pocket or waistband.

Using my Hi-Point C9 I can pretty consistantly hit old propane BBQ tanks at about 100 yards. That's about the size of Center Mass of an average man. So I guess anyone under a football fields length away is close distance.

It is as accurate as any other handgunI have ever fired.

Unless you are comparing pistol accuracy over distance to the accuracy of a rifle, you really don't know what you are talking about.

David.Car

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Wait wait, you BOTH have Five Sevens?!?!

Pics?
The 5.7 is a very very interesting firearm... For that reason alone I want one (that and the libs hating it) but I don't believe in it as a personal defense sidearm.

The round has been used very successfully in law enforcement but out of the rifle build. The rounds just don't expand very well and don't penetrate that deep for me to be comfortable with it as a carry piece.

FunkTrooper

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
No, not beating myself up. Just feel really really sorry for this poor kid. Barely out of diapers & already conditioned to a life of dependency.

I've been reading that "Patriots: A novel of survival" book that last couple weeks. I know I'm way behind the curve on such matters but it's like I'm walking around in awe at all the people I come across every day who lack the slightest shred of self reliance. And to see them passing this mindset on to theirs kids instead of saying "don't be like me son," it's just damn sad.
That is so true. I was raised to believe that you just don't ask others for help (including doctors) unless you are on your death bed. I'm not quite as bad like that as my mother used to be, but still today's society is so against self reliance. I don't think the current presidential administration is going to help in that regards at all, either.
I'm surprised to hear someone in the Navy especially an officer say something like that.

compmanio365

imported post

+1 guys......so many people go through life expecting someone else to take care of them.....I've always believed that the only person you can rely on is you. If something needs to be done, do it yourself. And the only person responsible for you is YOU. It's an adult mindset many adults lack.....and this is why we are in the situation we find ourselves these days in this country.