Thread: Fairfax City Park trail

Post imported post

Iwas walking my dog today ina different neighborhood (in Fairfax City)when I came across a trail. The sign on the trail specifically said that the pocession of firearms was prohibited. I was shocked! I've OC'ed inalmost everyCounty Park in Arlington/City, Alexandria/City, and Fairfax and have never encountered any rules governing the pocession of firearms. I checked the Fairfax City Parks website and only found a rule stating that all signs were to be followed, nothing about pocessing firearms. Is the VCDL aware of this?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

VCDL is a working, all volunteer organization. Things like this get changed by the membership, not the executives.

Thanks for volunteering to look into it.

Maybe check first to see that it is a city or state park, not a federal trail or something.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
    I¬*was walking my dog today in¬*a different neighborhood (in Fairfax City)¬*when I came across a trail.¬* The sign on the trail specifically said that the pocession of firearms was prohibited.¬* I was shocked!¬* I've OC'ed in¬*almost every¬*County Park in Arlington/City, Alexandria/City, and Fairfax and have never encountered any rules governing the pocession of firearms.¬* I checked the Fairfax City Parks website and only found a rule stating that all signs were to be followed, nothing about pocessing firearms.¬* Is the VCDL aware of this?
    Could be private property.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

It was a Fairfax City Park sign which stated that the trail was monitored by City Police. It was in the neighborhood behind the WSC at 50 and 29. Again, the website says nothing about firearms just that signs are to be obeyed.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    VCDL is a working, all volunteer organization. Things like this get changed by the membership, not the executives.

Thanks for volunteering to look into it.

Maybe check first to see that it is a city or state park, not a federal trail or something.
    What he said ^^.

Call the City Attorney or the head of the Parks Dept. amd discuss the situation with them. Remind them that they need to comply with state law - but be polite and helpful rather than demanding.

Post your success story here afterwards. Thank you for your service to 2A and the citizens of Fairfax City.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

I spend a lot of time during the week in and around the city of Fairfax, I'll see if I can snap some pics if no one else does beforehand. Always good to have proof.

ETA: the school just NE of Fairfax Villa Park (on google maps) is where I did some community service work with some eagle scouts I'm friends with...including cleaning up some trails in the woods nearby.

Centurion

Post imported post

With something like this, we do encourage members to get involved and work the issue. It's fun, educational, and something to take pride in when you succeed.

But do understand that if you run into a road block, let me know and VCDL will step in at that point. We have been compared to Drano for getting rid of bureaucratic plugs.

I don't think you will have any problem, as this is pretty cut-and-dry, and most of the parks people have worked with us before to remove other such signs. This was probably just an oversight.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    With something like this, we do encourage members to get involved and work the issue. It's fun, educational, and something to take pride in when you succeed.

But do understand that if you run into a road block, let me know and VCDL will step in at that point. We have been compared to Drano for getting rid of bureaucratic plugs.

I don't think you will have any problem, as this is pretty cut-and-dry, and most of the parks people have worked with us before to remove other such signs. This was probably just an oversight.

This is good.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Can you identify (on google maps) exacly where this sign is? I live in the area and can help you get rid of the sign, assuming you don't mind writing a few emails or making some phone calls to gov officials.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    It's fun, educational, and something to take pride in when you succeed.
    agreed!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

The path runs along a creek which runs parallel to Main St.The pathstarts at Hillman St., and continues up to Lamarre Dr. which is along the side of Fairfax Presbyterian Church. If someone in the area can double check the signs I'd appreciate it. With everything going on with current administration and in the worldI'm no stranger to calling the powers that be.

Post imported post

I spoke with Mr. Mccarty(Director of FCP) who assured me that the signs where old and that he'd notify the Chief of Police.Then he'dsend someone out to either edit or replace the signs. He stated that they'd recently updated their rules to coincide with State and Federal regulations. When I told him I was calling as a concerned CWP holder he made an unofficialcomment of not wanting people wielding guns in the parks. I agreed that thebrandishing offirearms was illegal, but reminded him that the Open Carry of them wasn't in VA. He asked to give him a couple of days or time toreplace them,or because of budget restraints blackout the part concerning firearms.

Post imported post

Give him the time to get some work done.

In the meantime you may want to go back and take some pictures with a time/date stamp (include the local daily paper in the picture if necessary) and then check back in a week or so for another set of pictures verifying the changes or lack thereof.

Congratulations on what seems to be your first experience of taking on City Hall. You da man! HIt a home run on your first at-bat.:celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Great Job! Seemed pretty simple, all it took was a little bit of your time. Thanks!

Post imported post

Thanks for helping keep the .gov honest.

THIS is what democracy is meant to be.

One voice, one vote, one problem fixed.

Post imported post

I had some extra time today when I was in the area, got some pics.

The previous thread was closed already or I would have posted there. If a mod feels the need to merge the threads, etc. I have no objections...

Sign 1: Near the Fairfax Presbyterian Church

Sign 2: Just across a small wooden bridge down the trail west of sign 1:

Sign 3: On the east side of Woodland Dr.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, the sign says to call 911 to report illegal activity. So, we should call 911 to report the illegally posted sign, no?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Lastly, here's a pic I took yesterday at another nearby Fairfax City park. IMO it does NOT violate preemption as it appears to ban discharge of firearms, not possession of firearms:

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Well, the sign says to call 911 to report illegal activity. So, we should call 911 to report the illegally posted sign, no?
    I like that idea.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I like it.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    I like that idea.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I like it.
    How about taking it one step further... Find the number for Crime Line and call THAT one. You could also find the NON-emergency number for the PD and call that one.

Calling 911 could land you in trouble, expecially if the dispatchers are busy and your non-emergency trivial call is deemed a nuisance (sp)call.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)