• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax City Park trail

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Iwas walking my dog today ina different neighborhood (in Fairfax City)when I came across a trail. The sign on the trail specifically said that the pocession of firearms was prohibited. I was shocked! I've OC'ed inalmost everyCounty Park in Arlington/City, Alexandria/City, and Fairfax and have never encountered any rules governing the pocession of firearms. I checked the Fairfax City Parks website and only found a rule stating that all signs were to be followed, nothing about pocessing firearms. Is the VCDL aware of this?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VCDL is a working, all volunteer organization. Things like this get changed by the membership, not the executives.

Thanks for volunteering to look into it. :)

Maybe check first to see that it is a city or state park, not a federal trail or something.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
I was walking my dog today in a different neighborhood (in Fairfax City) when I came across a trail.  The sign on the trail specifically said that the pocession of firearms was prohibited.  I was shocked!  I've OC'ed in almost every County Park in Arlington/City, Alexandria/City, and Fairfax and have never encountered any rules governing the pocession of firearms.  I checked the Fairfax City Parks website and only found a rule stating that all signs were to be followed, nothing about pocessing firearms.  Is the VCDL aware of this?
Could be private property.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

It was a Fairfax City Park sign which stated that the trail was monitored by City Police. It was in the neighborhood behind the WSC at 50 and 29. Again, the website says nothing about firearms just that signs are to be obeyed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
VCDL is a working, all volunteer organization. Things like this get changed by the membership, not the executives.

Thanks for volunteering to look into it. :)

Maybe check first to see that it is a city or state park, not a federal trail or something.

What he said ^^.

Call the City Attorney or the head of the Parks Dept. amd discuss the situation with them. Remind them that they need to comply with state law - but be polite and helpful rather than demanding.

Post your success story here afterwards. Thank you for your service to 2A and the citizens of Fairfax City.

stay safe.

skidmark

nova

imported post

I spend a lot of time during the week in and around the city of Fairfax, I'll see if I can snap some pics if no one else does beforehand. Always good to have proof. :)

ETA: the school just NE of Fairfax Villa Park (on google maps) is where I did some community service work with some eagle scouts I'm friends with...including cleaning up some trails in the woods nearby.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

With something like this, we do encourage members to get involved and work the issue. It's fun, educational, and something to take pride in when you succeed.

But do understand that if you run into a road block, let me know and VCDL will step in at that point. We have been compared to Drano for getting rid of bureaucratic plugs.

I don't think you will have any problem, as this is pretty cut-and-dry, and most of the parks people have worked with us before to remove other such signs. This was probably just an oversight.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
With something like this, we do encourage members to get involved and work the issue. It's fun, educational, and something to take pride in when you succeed.

But do understand that if you run into a road block, let me know and VCDL will step in at that point. We have been compared to Drano for getting rid of bureaucratic plugs.

I don't think you will have any problem, as this is pretty cut-and-dry, and most of the parks people have worked with us before to remove other such signs. This was probably just an oversight.
This is good.

IanB

imported post

Can you identify (on google maps) exacly where this sign is? I live in the area and can help you get rid of the sign, assuming you don't mind writing a few emails or making some phone calls to gov officials.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

The path runs along a creek which runs parallel to Main St.The pathstarts at Hillman St., and continues up to Lamarre Dr. which is along the side of Fairfax Presbyterian Church. If someone in the area can double check the signs I'd appreciate it. With everything going on with current administration and in the worldI'm no stranger to calling the powers that be.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I spoke with Mr. Mccarty(Director of FCP) who assured me that the signs where old and that he'd notify the Chief of Police.Then he'dsend someone out to either edit or replace the signs. He stated that they'd recently updated their rules to coincide with State and Federal regulations. When I told him I was calling as a concerned CWP holder he made an unofficialcomment of not wanting people wielding guns in the parks. I agreed that thebrandishing offirearms was illegal, but reminded him that the Open Carry of them wasn't in VA. He asked to give him a couple of days or time toreplace them,or because of budget restraints blackout the part concerning firearms.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Give him the time to get some work done.

In the meantime you may want to go back and take some pictures with a time/date stamp (include the local daily paper in the picture if necessary) and then check back in a week or so for another set of pictures verifying the changes or lack thereof.

Congratulations on what seems to be your first experience of taking on City Hall. You da man! HIt a home run on your first at-bat.:celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark

nova

imported post

I had some extra time today when I was in the area, got some pics.

The previous thread was closed already or I would have posted there. If a mod feels the need to merge the threads, etc. I have no objections...

Sign 1: Near the Fairfax Presbyterian Church

DSCN0878.jpg

Sign 2: Just across a small wooden bridge down the trail west of sign 1:

DSCN0880.jpg

Sign 3: On the east side of Woodland Dr.

DSCN0885.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, the sign says to call 911 to report illegal activity. So, we should call 911 to report the illegally posted sign, no? :)

nova

imported post

Lastly, here's a pic I took yesterday at another nearby Fairfax City park. IMO it does NOT violate preemption as it appears to ban discharge of firearms, not possession of firearms:

DSCN0867.jpg

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Well, the sign says to call 911 to report illegal activity. So, we should call 911 to report the illegally posted sign, no? :)

I like that idea.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I like it.

How about taking it one step further... Find the number for Crime Line and call THAT one. You could also find the NON-emergency number for the PD and call that one.

Calling 911 could land you in trouble, expecially if the dispatchers are busy and your non-emergency trivial call is deemed a nuisance (sp)call.