• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going home to Milwaukee on leave from AF.... OC, or not...

GQflyboy

imported post

First off, I'm stationed in VA, a great state to own, and OC a weapon. However my legal state of residance is still the great state of WI. I've gotten so used to having my shiney friend on my belt that I really feel off if it's not there.

I get asked to leave a store maybe once a month, but other than a few :what: every now and than nothing ever really comes of it. I drive past cops all the time with it on the dash of my car, and waltz around the city of Norfolk like it's not even there.

So I was rather disheartened when I was reading about all the trouble people are having in Milwaukee, and other places around the city. LEOs running numbers, asking for ID and just generaly hastling people.

None of my fire arms are registered (there is no such thing in VA) and I don't have a CCW because I don't want Big Brother in my business at every traffic stop.

I feel the NEED to maintain my safety, and those around me, but it would be a complete Sh*t storm from my command if I got arrested for "disturbance of the piece" what ever the he'll that means

So I guess the whole point of this post is to dig out some input on how likely it is that a law abidding citizen will get anything more than just hastled for utilizing a Right.

gollbladder13

imported post

How bad has it gotten? Depends on who you ask...

I haven't had any issues, other people have.

When there are issues, some will tell you it's a good thing, others will question.

Best thing you can do if you want to carry is stay informed on everything...

SAK

imported post

Just keep the number of a good attorney with you. You probably won't need to use it, but as we say: "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" ;)

AaronS

imported post

I have seen, and even talked with a few Milwaukee cops, about OC. All done with my Beretta on my hip. I have not had any problems as of yet. To be honest, I have never been asked for ID. I am out with the dog every day, and go to the store about 2-3 times a week (pic-n-save). I think at this time Milwaukee cops have all been told to watch for OC, but that it is legal for us. My stand has always beentotreat any cop the way I am treated. If I were to get "stopped", and the cop just asks simple questions, I will in most cases, talk to him/her. If the cop starts to jump on me, I will clam up fast.

I think if you follow all of the laws, as best as you can, you should be fine in Milwaukee.

Oh, thanks for your service. I do have a lot of respect for our service members. I would think that most cops would as well.

GQflyboy

imported post

This sounds a little crazy to me, but as a kid I was taught, and on this forum it says that when transporting the weapon It needs to be unloaded, cased, and in the trunk (or out of reach).

I was planning on just unloading, putting it in a case and locking the trunk. When I arrive at my destination, just slapping a mag in, racking the slide, and dropping the hammer ( DA semi-auto), than dropping it in the serpa.

Now IMHO that is 10x more frightening to the public than just grabbing it from the dash, and holstering it before leaving the car, but that is how I understand the laws of WI.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

GQflyboy wrote:
This sounds a little crazy to me, but as a kid I was taught, and on this forum it says that when transporting the weapon It needs to be unloaded, cased, and in the trunk (or out of reach).

I was planning on just unloading, putting it in a case and locking the trunk. When I arrive at my destination, just slapping a mag in, racking the slide, and dropping the hammer ( DA semi-auto), than dropping it in the serpa.

Now IMHO that is 10x more frightening to the public than just grabbing it from the dash, and holstering it before leaving the car, but that is how I understand the laws of WI.
So long as you are following all applicable laws while actually carrying, that plan as you expressed will keep you out of trouble if past practice by LEOs continues.. I am assuming that you have a decocker. If you leave out the chambering and clearing of a round, you will attract less attention and decrease the opportunity for a ND on the part of a LEO who would chooseto disarm you.