• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seemingly Accidental Discharge

PDinDetroit

Fishous

imported post

I have no evidence, but it's my guess that he had a finger in the trigger guard and it simply bump fired.

When handed a handgun, 99% of gun "newbies" will grip it with their finger on the trigger, just like in the movies and movie posters.

lw1.jpg

PDinDetroit

imported post

The posters over at FiringLine Forum have some guesses as well.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378874

To me, the person who put the gun down with a magazine in and a round chambered is to blame, let alone that the gun was not facing downrange. Even if this GUN is a POS and can slam/bump fire easily, the person was negligent in his handling of the firearm.

THway

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
owch that pic is horrible. Safty is off an finger on the trigger.
Yup... looks like danny lost his shoulder... i guess we will not be having lethal weapon 12 coming out this spring....

**sarcastically saying** "Flynn was visiting from Ireland and staying at Bonville Drive in Davenport." What was MR Flynn doing in the US? recruiting for the IRA? does he have a green card? was he in the US legally? **sarcastically saying**

in the article named "9mm malfunctions at Lakeland gun range, shoots three people", the reporter said that the Thourot's son brought them a firearm from Iraq during one of his tours... I would like to know if he brought this firearm into the US legally?

Greggy_D

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
To me, the person who put the gun down with a magazine in and a round chambered is to blame, let alone that the gun was not facing downrange. Even if this GUN is a POS and can slam/bump fire easily, the person was negligent in his handling of the firearm.

Agreed, even if the gun went off on its own I would still call this a ND. He broke two pretty big rules.

G

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

Agreed, even if the gun went off on its own I would still call this a ND. He broke two pretty big rules.
+1

jfrenchudm

imported post

You think that it is bad in a movie or on tv, check out the latest Michigan DNR Hunting Guide cover! The woman in the photo has her finger on the trigger, just like they do it on tv!

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
owch that pic is horrible. Safty is off an finger on the trigger.
That whole series of movies was terrible. The incredible stupidity and blatant ignorance displayed in those films is so far gone that it isn't even really worth going over.

maahes

imported post

jfrenchudm wrote:
You think that it is bad in a movie or on tv, check out the latest Michigan DNR Hunting Guide cover! The woman in the photo has her finger on the trigger, just like they do it on tv!
hey she may just have a deformed finger...

HTguide.jpg

HTguidezoom.jpg

emptypockets

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
A couple more articles about this that provide additional detail:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091003/NEWS/910039958/1410?Title=Three-Hurt-in-Gun-Range-Accident

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/9mm-malfunctions-at-lakeland-gun-range-shoots-three-people/1041591

I guess the ANTI'S were right: gun attacked all on it's own, spinning and spitting bullets with precise accuracy!

/sarc off
I am utterly amazed that an inanimate object suddenly animated itself and began firing with such incredible accuracy. I would guess that the gun just got tired of being used or being embarrassed at their shooting that it had to show them how to shoot accurately. Either that or the gun was possessed.

Either way, I would love to see the video of this if it exists.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Good thing this didn't happen in Wisconsin, the sherriff would have called the BATFE, and they would have arrested, charged, and found the guy guilty of transferring a machine-gun! But only after having it BATFE posession for months, trading out parts, and using ammunition with the softest primers they could find.

Ithappened to David Olofsonafter he leta persontake his AR-15 to the range and they experienced a slamfire multi-round sequencethat ended with a jam.