• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The great pumpkin shoot

What day works better?

• Sunday, November 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saturday, November 7th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hopnpop wrote:
yes2.gif
Awesome! Hell, knowing that, I'd be happy leaving my gunsat home and just bringing the camera!!
dance3.gif

Post 'em on YouTube.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBZlp8hv5w&feature=related

lapeer20m

imported post

there were a lot of people there today. I did not run into anyone from moc. i spent a couple of hours at the pit. One guy brought a pumpkin, i asked him if he was an oc'er, but he wasn't.

that is a cool place. not too many free public shooting ranges around.

fired about 100 rounds of 9mm ammo. i believe it's pakistani military surplus made in 1984. it's HOT...feels like +p

also fired about 50 rounds through my mossberg 500 pistol. My hand is a little sore!

Michigander

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
there were a lot of people there today. I did not run into anyone from moc. i spent a couple of hours at the pit. One guy brought a pumpkin, i asked him if he was an oc'er, but he wasn't.
Evil Creamsicle and I were at the Pit itself from about noon to 12:40. After that, we left. It was too crazy. I have never seen that many people there, and someone was shooting at a disc brake from about 18 yards. (Ricochets are no joke)

We went down the road a ways to where about 5 other people were shooting in a clearing.

The good news was that we did some "wet pack" wet phone book tests. The lessons learned were that 10 mm HP ammo makes big holes. HP x39 makes bigger holes. FMJ .308 is relatively lacking on cavity size. But shotguns will pretty much blow anything to bits.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
@#$%! i thought this was gonna be next weekend. guess i wont be making it this year. gruff :-( too bad... i was gonna use my .50de to kill some pumpkins.
The event was/is scheduled for the 7th NOT the 1st. See the 14th post on Page 1 by JeffSayers everyone. He decided it would be the 7th by Poll and that's how I scheduled it.

t4thfavor

imported post

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=575

Someone needs to change the description on this map as the Cheverolet dealer has since been closed, and all sinage is to be removed, or already has been.

I am new to the site as designated by my post count, but a friend and I are hoping to attend as we live 10 mins from there.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
Evil Creamsicle and I were at the Pit itself from about noon to 12:40. After that, we left. It was too crazy. I have never seen that many people there, and someone was shooting at a disc brake from about 18 yards. (Ricochets are no joke)

We went down the road a ways to where about 5 other people were shooting in a clearing.

The good news was that we did some "wet pack" wet phone book tests. The lessons learned were that 10 mm HP ammo makes big holes. HP x39 makes bigger holes. FMJ .308 is relatively lacking on cavity size. But shotguns will pretty much blow anything to bits.
I was up the road still hunting for deer on the edge of a swamp area. I too thought it sounded "crazy" and decided not to go in the afternoon.

If I was going squirrel hunting, the woods just West of the Intersection of Roods Lake and Byers was teeming with them as there were a ton of Oak Trees and Acorns there...

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Sorry everyone, I have been under the weather and the pumpkins escaped. (Didn't get out to round 'em up.)

It sounds like lots of cool stuff will still be happening out there though, we just have to get creative with targets.

Oh, and if anyone happens to sell a second pistol and is left with a bunch of useless (to them) magazines, I will have cash in my pocket!

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

If you guys want some good targets, find something like a phone book or something phonebook-esque, and soak it in water about 36 hours prior to the event. It makes a great ballistic testing target similar in consistency to ballistics gelatin.

Michigander

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
find something like a phone book or something phonebook-esque, .

News papers can be bundled together and soaked in the same manner. Works just as well. Use a large amount of news paper, and preferably not the glossy kind.

The idea is to break down the fibers in the paper.

PDinDetroit

hopnpop

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Sounds like a good time to me! Some water-filled pumpkins make beautiful explosions, also. "Food" for thought...

hopnpop

imported post

Wasn't able to make it to that side of the state, sorry. Family stuff popped up and took precident. Sounds like it was a decent time, then?