• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP - proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
The circuit court in my area has a pretty good document detailing their process; complete w/ mailing address and POC info ...

Are the good people of Fairfax County really putting up with all of the unrequired, extra-legal nonsense? None of this crap is required by statute.

[align=justify]First Time Application:
[font=Arial,Arial]In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with: [/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Two additional copies of the original completed application. (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• A self-addressed stamped envelope. (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5). (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction. (see p. 4 and p.7). (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][/align]

[align=justify]Renewal Application: [font=Arial,Arial]Application for permit renewal should be submitted [/font]at least 45 days prior to expiration of your current permit[font=Arial,Arial]. In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Two additional copies of the completed application. (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• A self-addressed stamped envelope. (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Three copies of the previous Concealed Handgun Permit issued by this court or another Virginia circuit court. (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][font=Arial,Arial]• Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction. (see p.4 and p.7). (Wrong)[/font][/align]

[align=justify][/align]

[align=justify]Background Check: [/align]
[font=Arial,Arial]

[align=justify]After an application is filed at the Fairfax Circuit Court Clerk’s office, the Fairfax County Police Department will conduct a background check on each applicant. As part of the background check, an applicant may be asked to undergo a voluntary interview with the police if the background check indicates a potential reason to disqualify the applicant. (wrong)[/align][/font]

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

LOL, I figured it wouldn't take very long for a response to the FFX County "requirements." :cool:

I dutifully "jumped thru the hoops" and received my CHP about 40 days after mailing it in ...

... but these "extra" requirements might well be something worth pursuing up here in the "occupied areas."

<edit to add>:

I see this as a clear shifting of the clerical burden from the Court's CHP clerk to the applicant.

That said, I perceived that the minimal additional cost to me -- making extra copies and return envelope (I was making a complete copy set for myself anyway) -- ...

... outweighed the potential benefit gained in accuracy of the application. (reduced chance for copying / collating / stapling errors in the clerks office)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

May I suggest the "gentle" approach with the extra-legal requirements about copies of this and that and the self-addressed, stamped envelope.

If she still works there, Carol Snow is the deputy clerk who processes the CHP applications. Last I talked to her, they were processing about 2000 applications a year. That's something like5.5 applicationsa day.

She is very helpful. I'm not convinced she deserves a harsh or demanding approach.

Of course, if she needs more help, the court,or whoever is the authority,should provide it, but in the meantime, it might be worth working with her to try to solve the problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wasn't there a case on proof of residency requirements that went to appeal not too long ago? My court google fu is not up to operating speed today. Anybody?

Yata hey

fully_armed_biker

imported post

If they ask for proof of residency, I hope my vehicle registration(s) is/are good enough (it was good enough to buy my guns)...All of the utilities on our house are in my wife's name.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Yes, for someone who doesn't have a DD-214, that's the cheapest, I'd say. My proof of demonstrated competence was the Pennsylvania Hunter Safety course that my parents paid for when I was 11.
Ha! I too have the Hunter Safety course card from when I was a kid, though mine is from VA and I had the course in school.

I don't think I ever used it for my CHP, though. Under the new law, I think I just used the fact that I previously held a CHP. I don't remember having to require proof when I got my first one, but my memory on that is a it fuzzy. I do remember having to get character references and meeting with the judge.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
If they ask for proof of residency, I hope my vehicle registration(s) is/are good enough (it was good enough to buy my guns)...All of the utilities on our house are in my wife's name.
Your proof is your affirmation under oath that everything contained herein on your application is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge and belief! :)

NoVA York

imported post

I jumped through the FFX hoops as well. Made the copies and provided a SASE.

As for the proof of competency, I submitted copies of my old NY State Hunter's Ed Certificate. If you're looking for a cheap alternative for safety training, it doesn't get any cheaper than FREE. The five day course is sponsored by the Dept. of Environmental Conservation. (Bow hunting is a separate course.) Not sure if is still free, especially under Heir Bloomberg...

For proof of residency, I made copies of my voter's registration card.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Citizen wrote:
... She is very helpful. I'm not convinced she deserves a harsh or demanding approach.

Of course, if she needs more help, the court,or whoever is the authority,should provide it, but in the meantime, it might be worth working with her to try to solve the problem.
+1

Very well stated -- and Ms. Snow was very cordial and helpful to me too.