• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry?

Sorrows

imported post

I was wondering if you all could let me know the minimum age for Conceal Carry. Thanks for your time.

[Edit - Nevermind, Sheriff's Depart. said still 23 :(

imported post

23 for a MO permit, but you can get a Maine permit at 18 or FL at 21 and be legal in MO.

chemcmndr

imported post

I second the vote for looking into it. I applied for my Florida permit last December when I was 21 and got it back in April. Been carrying concealed ever since!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And you can take the required MO CCW course (which I understand is accepted in FL as well) whenever as it does not expire. Someone told me you had to be 18 when you take it for it to be valid when you turn 23 in order to get a MO permit. It doesn't say that in the statute that I recall, but as a regulatory matter with the training that may be the functional reality.

Gordon Shumway

imported post

This is some very bad information on this thread.

A Missouri residentholding a non-resident CC permitfor another state (like Florida) cannot use that out-of-state "Florida-non-resident" permit as a legal method of carrying a weapon in his own home state ofMissouri.

You need to understand, the non-resident license allows you as a non-resident of that state to carry your weapon while you are in that issuing state.

If you are questioned in Missouri, and you show your Missouri Driver's License and a "Florida non-resident carry permit" and are expectingthat to circumvent theMissouri law, you will be arrested, and 99% chance you will lose in court, andyou will have permanent gun charges on your record even if you might win, which you won't.

Unless you have $$$$$ big bucks and lots of time to fight it in court all the way to the top, and just enjoy wasting your life..... think twice about this.

Use common sense.

imported post

Gordon Shumway wrote:

A Missouri residentholding a non-resident CC permitfor another state (like Florida) cannot use that out-of-state "Florida-non-resident" permit as a legal method of carrying a weapon in his own home state ofMissouri.

You need to understand, the non-resident license allows you as a non-resident of that state to carry your weapon while you are in that issuing state.

If you are questioned in Missouri, and you show your Missouri Driver's License and a "Florida non-resident carry permit" and are expectingthat to circumvent theMissouri law, you will be arrested, and 99% chance you will lose in court, andyou will have permanent gun charges on your record even if you might win, which you won't.

Unless you have $$$$$ big bucks and lots of time to fight it in court all the way to the top, and just enjoy wasting your life..... think twice about this.

Use common sense.
Please post the statute where this information is found. I think you are grossly misinformed on this matter. Please check out RSMO 571. Also you might want to check out page 5 of this brochure from the Missouri State Highway Patrol on out of state permits.
I carried on a PA out of state permit for a period of 4 months before my home County stated accepting applications in 2004 and several LEO knew I was carrying on a PA permit.

JDW

imported post

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Use common sense.
Missouri recognizes all other states permits (resident and non resident) so I am gonna have to argue with you on this one

Gordon Shumway

imported post

JDW wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Use common sense.
Missouri recognizes all other states permits (resident and non resident) so I am gonna have to argue with you on this one

Thank you.

I stand corrected in that Florida does not issue a specific NON-resident permit. A person must prove themselves a resident of Florida to obtain a CCW license in Florida, and any visitors there must have a valid CCW from their home state. Ditto for Missouri.

First, both MO and FL state that a person must be a resident of their specific state tobe issueda CCW permit for that state. Mail order a CCW? negative.

Missouri does in fact recognize all other states' CCW "in riciprosity". Both Florida and Missouri state that the reciprocal state permit holder must conform to the varying laws of the other state.

Florida states: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/legislation.html

(2)
A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed

Missouri states http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Missouri.htm "Weapons laws in different states can and do have different definitions and restrictions......contact law enforcement authorities in those states to clarify any specific questions."

Missouri says the age is 23 minimum.....legal verbage indicates thatour hypothetical Florida resident must alsoconform to Missouri's ageminimum of23???

Again, use some common sense. No need to get a permanent gun-violationmark on your record.

ADDITION: http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Missouri.htmlists Florida as an approved permit..... therefore implies that a LEGAL RESIDENT OF FLORIDA with a FL CCW can legally carry in MO if less than age 23.

So how do you conform to all MO laws but Not age law?

Yet to be tested in court.

JDW

imported post

Maine ........ Utah , Pa may also require a CCW in your home state ... some Ill residents have OOS permits so they can carry where legal ......check out www.missouricarry.com there are some fellas over there that know for sure off the top of their head ,

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

I think we need to refresh ourselves on John & Mike's basic rules for this forum, including Rule 7:

If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

With that said, I have read Missouri's weapons laws and found that while a person must be at least 23 years old and meet a variety of other criteria to obtain a Missouri CCW endorsement, Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.101, Missouri also extends unqualified recognition to all other states' CCW permits or endorsements.

Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030(4) provides: "Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state." (emphasis added). There is no language here or anywhere else in Chapter 571 qualifying the recognition of another state's CCW permits based on an individual permitholder's age, state of residence, or any other factor.

By contrast, Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030(3) provides, in part: "Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed[.]" (emphasis added). Here, the General Assembly limited the provision allowing individuals without an endorsement or permit to carry a concealable firearm in a vehicle to individuals of a certain minimum age (i.e., 21). The above provision for recognizing all other states' permits has no similar qualification.

Both provisions were enacted as part of Missouri's original concealed carry law in 2003. Several states have reciprocity or recognition statutes qualifying the recognition of other states' permits on the basis of age, Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3112(W); Colo. Rev. Stat. § 18-12-213(1)(a); Fla. Stat. § 790.015(1)(a); Va. Code § 18.2-308(P); W.Va. Code § 61-7-6a(a)(1),an element or factorabsent from Missouri's law.By its act of qualifying the car carry provision on the basis of age and its omission of a minimum age qualification for the validity of another state's permit, the General Assembly has clearly spoken and there is no minimum age qualification for the recognition of another state's CCW permit in Missouri.

imported post

Gordon Shumway wrote:
JDW wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Use common sense.

Thank you.

I stand corrected in that Florida does not issue a specific NON-resident permit. A person must prove themselves a resident of Florida to obtain a CCW license in Florida, and any visitors there must have a valid CCW from their home state. Ditto for Missouri.

First, both MO and FL state that a person must be a resident of their specific state tobe issueda CCW permit for that state. Mail order a CCW? negative.

Missouri does in fact recognize all other states' CCW "in riciprosity". Both Florida and Missouri state that the reciprocal state permit holder must conform to the varying laws of the other state.

Florida states: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/legislation.html

(2)
A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed

Missouri states http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Missouri.htm "Weapons laws in different states can and do have different definitions and restrictions......contact law enforcement authorities in those states to clarify any specific questions."

Missouri says the age is 23 minimum.....legal verbage indicates thatour hypothetical Florida resident must alsoconform to Missouri's ageminimum of23???

Again, use some common sense. No need to get a permanent gun-violationmark on your record.

ADDITION: http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Missouri.htmlists Florida as an approved permit..... therefore implies that a LEGAL RESIDENT OF FLORIDA with a FL CCW can legally carry in MO if less than age 23.

So how do you conform to all MO laws but Not age law?

Yet to be tested in court.

It is obvious that you need to contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Missouri Attorney Generals office and notify them that they are completely wrong on their interpretation of our CCW law and get them straightened out on this matter.

Especially the legal carry of a concealedhandgun for a Missouri residentat age 18 with a Maine permit even though they can't legally purchase a handgun until age 21 but can legally posses one at age 18.

Also a person can get a Florida permit via U.S. Mail that Missouri honors even for Missouri residents without ever setting foot in the state of Florida.

patriotthad

imported post

As a MO citizen I held a Fla Non resident permit for several years. Even though at the time MO didn't have CCW, I used it in states that did and honored Fla permit. Also MO honors "...all out-of-state permits, including those from political subdivisions-cities and counties."Missouri Concealed Weapons Law published by Missouri State Highway Patrol Pg 7 Paragraph 2

"However, nothing prohibits Missouri residents from obtaining a concealed carry permit from another state, and those permits would be valid in Missouri." Missouri Concealed Weapons Law published by Missouri State Highway Patrol Pg 7 Paragraph 3

blutorlz3

imported post

With all that said, can a Missouri resident who is younger than 23 obtain a non-resident permit from another state and be allowed to carry in Missouri? Would the non-resident permit only be recognized as a permit to carry in the issuing state or would it be recognized as sufficient to carry in Missouri?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

blutorlz3 wrote:
With all that said, can a Missouri resident who is younger than 23 obtain a non-resident permit from another state and be allowed to carry in Missouri?
:banghead:Yes. Please reread my post above.

blutorlz3 wrote:
Would the non-resident permit only be recognized as a permit to carry in the issuing state or would it be recognized as sufficient to carry in Missouri?
That question is determined by the laws of the state in which you want to carry, not the laws of the state in which the permit was issued. Please refer to my post above for Missouri's law recognizing all other states' permits. :banghead:

blutorlz3

imported post

:D Take it easy. The following post made me curious because it seems to state otherwise. I think I will take the attorney's word on this matter.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Use common sense.