• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFL and concealed and Motorcycle

jbfire99

imported post

I have a couple of questions, ignorance on my part.

1. I have my GFL( recent), my understanding is the GFL allows Open Carry or Concealed within limits of the law, no public gatherings, etc. I had a friend who recently got pulled over and an officer( Gwinnet County), gave her a hard time( no specific details available). I believe the gun was lying in the floorboard. No reasons
to Open Carry in most cases, for self defense only( better concealed).

Her and her husband have different license, for concealed ?? It has a picture,
requires a gun training class, a specific gun is registered with the permit, etc.
The only other permit I am aware of is for Securtity Guards, retired COPs, etc.
This license also allows the holder to carry in additional areas. They do not qualify
for this but have their own business( possible exception) , carry lots of cash to the bank at times, afterhours, etc.

2. I do not need to carry a weapon ( on me)frequently, mainly in my car, on trips.
I also ride a bike the bike has no locking luggage. I don't want to leave the weapon on the bike in unlocked luggage. So I am basically carrying concealed in some cases
on the bike. As long as I am legal I will probably carry it in a Fanny pack , etc.

What are the laws around this ? A Motorcycle should be considered same as car.
Exception, careful about carrying in wrong places on bike, etc.

rmodel65

imported post

as long as you have your GFL you can carry open or concealed in GA, there is only one carry license and the carry license requires no class of any sort.

you need to carry with a holster if you conceal, i wouldnt ever leave a gun on a bike they might not try to get in your compartments they be more likely to snatch the bike then a crook would have a bike to chop and a new shiny gun :banghead:

i suggest you check out www.georgiapacking.org and read up on the gun laws in plain english and join the forum there

also you gotta join www.GeorgiaCarry.org best 15$ you can spend a year to help protect your rights

jbfire99

imported post

Thanks for the response.

That was my assumption also after previous and recent research. I'm not quite sure about my friends license has to be the same, but it sounds like she had a officer giving her a hard time from the few details I did get about the incident.

Also I'm looking for any information on shooting ranges in Cumming/Alpharetta/Roswell area and possibly "a reasonably priced general class on shooting/sel defense/concealed weapons, etc.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jbfire99 wrote:
No reasonstoOpen Carry in most cases, for self defense only (better concealed).
No reasons? I can think of plenty of reasons to Open Carry. (and by the way, you are posting on OpenCarry.org so some others might agree with me).

I have heard of cases where an attacker was "surprised" to find that his victim was armed (because the victim was carrying concealed).

I have never heard of a case wher an OCer was attacked because that just does not happen. INHO bad guys want an easy mark.. if you are visably armed they already want so avoid you.

By OCing you show others that it is ok.. you meet new friends and get to talk about your right alot.

I could go all night.

carry on.

ed

aadvark

imported post

If you carry a Pistol while riding on a Bicycle, then, you would need to have a Georgia Firearms License, or its equivalent, or else you can, and will, be charged with carrying a Pistol without a License under Georgia Law 16-11-128.

If you conceal a Pistol in a Fanny Pack, or within a Bicycle Pack, and you have a Georiga Firearms License, then, be sure that the Pistol is in a Holster and is not loaded.

The reason for this is the technical wording of Georiga Laws 16-11-126 and 16-11-128. Whenever a Pistol is loaded it must be carried only in a open manner and fully exposed to view, and whenever a Pistol is concealed it must be in a Holster.

Currently, prefiled Senate Bill 281 and House Bill 615 would fix this problem. However, until they are passed and signed into Law this is the Law that we have to live by in Georgia.

However, if you are Legally eligible for a Georgia Firearms License under 16-11-129, but have yet to obtain one, then, you may carry a LoadedPistol anywhere in your personal vehicle, provided; that if the same is concealed then it needs to be in a Holster. Since because Bicycles are not Motor Vehicles under Lawyou must have a Georgia Firearms License to carry a Pistol on that Bicycle whenever that Bicycle leaves your Home, Land, Property, or Place of Business.

exgabrit

imported post

There is Nicks gun room over in cobb / 120.
classic american marksman in duluth.
both do classes.
both are good location. there is also a range bullseyemarksman up in cumming that is a good range.

jbfire99 wrote:
Thanks for the response.

That was my assumption also after previous and recent research. I'm not quite sure about my friends license has to be the same, but it sounds like she had a officer giving her a hard time from the few details I did get about the incident.

Also I'm looking for any information on shooting ranges in Cumming/Alpharetta/Roswell area and possibly "a reasonably priced general class on shooting/sel defense/concealed weapons, etc.