Thread: Geo caching

Post imported post

Just like to know how many ofyouGeo Cacheand CC or OC while doing so. Personally I CC when finding the treasure. Don't want to freak out any one any more than need to.

What do you think?

Post imported post

Not in NH myself, but I OC while geocaching all the time. Same rules apply: be extremely respectful, no messing with the gun, smile and engage others you come across. Just another great opportunity to help educate about responsible firearm ownership and carry.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

I'm curious why you're especially concerned with freaking out anyone while geocacheing, as opposed to normal everyday carry.

Do you OC at any other time?

Post imported post

We have recently moved to NH from FL. So OC is new to me. I've had the cops called twice while GCing at night. Never any problems in the day or with the kids. Just some very curious on lookers.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    I'm curious why you're especially concerned with freaking out anyone while geocacheing, as opposed to normal everyday carry.

Do you OC at any other time?
    Geo-caching in an urban/suburban environment (or anywhere where the muggles can observe you) can appear to be very suspicious activity. Lots of geo-cachers have had the police called on them.

Imagine some guy with some king of handheld device walking around a shopping center looking behind stuff, under stuff, inside stuff....

Some folks I know have done so far as to carry a clipboard and wear a hardhat and a reflective vest, just to keep from alarming the sheeple.

Post imported post

Ah. I guess I'm out of date on what it means to geocache these days. When I last looked at it, GPS was in its infancy, and it was almost entirelyl rural, usually in forests or parks.

As an old orienteering and land nav guy, I consider GPS to be "cheating" for recreational purposes.