Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: KY Open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    Ok first off, im new to this forum and before i didnt think we could open carry..

    But i got a few questions so if yall dont mind please help me out.

    1.Do i have to have a permit to open carry?

    2.What age can i open carry at? (im 19 btw)

    and lastly, thank you all.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    IANAL, so I make no claim as to the validity of the following answers, but in my understanding:

    1. no
    2. 18 according to http://www.opencarry.org/age.html

    I highly recommend that if you carry, you should:

    a) do so with the utmost attention to safety and responsibility at all times
    b) dress in a manner which brings to mind "clean cut young American" rather than the way I see a lot of kids dressed these days.

    I'll probably take some flack for that second opinion, but appearance really does affect people's perception of you, and doubly so if you're also carrying a weapon.


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    +1 Jaegan

    You can carry a gun in your glove box without a CCDW. Can't carry in a bar or a school area. Other than that, enjoy your rights.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Where I happen to hang my hat, ,
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    From your wording you obviously are 21 or younger. I saw a young man, probably 25 or so OC at the E'town Wal Mart a few weeks back. He was clean cut, wearing clean clothes and from all appearances was taking his responsibility seriously. That is the ticket - look and act like a responsible citizen, not someone dressed in orange and having their picture taken in full frontal and then from the side.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    Im 19...i may not be clean cut(i feel naked without my beard..have had it since i was 15.) But i dress for the most part respectfully...

  6. #6
    Regular Member mellio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    jaegan wrote:
    IANAL, so I make no claim as to the validity of the following answers, but in my understanding:
    Took me a while to figure out what the IANAL thing meant, at first I thought it may be a new product from Apple.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY, ,
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    Can't carry in a bar or a school area
    With one exception...provided you stay in the car, you can carry while dropping your kid off at school.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    Can't carry in a bar or a school area
    With one exception...provided you stay in the car, you can carry while dropping your kid off at school.
    I dont have a kid..so that wont be a problem.



    Anyway, i was looking into getting a Ruger GP100 for my Carry peice. I was told by someone, think john wayne, not GI joe...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    Double action revolvers can be an excellent choice. I've never felt under-armed carrying a S&W model 10 or model 66. Gun choice is one of those highly personal, always debated things, like Mac vs Windows Find something you like and practice until you're good. Then keep practicing.

    I wouldn't stress about the beard, "clean cut" is probably almost as much about demeanor as it is appearance. The are plenty of "clean cut" bearded guys.
    Like Wyoming said, the point is to "look and act like a responsible citizen"
    I've seen more than a few older carriers who seem to have forgotten this, but as a general rule, older guys wearing guns and looking sloppy don't seem to worry sheeple as much as younger guys wearing guns and looking sloppy. *shrug*

    mellio: sorry about that, I thought everyone online probably recognized that as "I am not a lawyer" by now


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    ok im confused now. I have a LEO Buddy and i figured just to make sure, id ask him. This is word for word what he said. (I sent him an Email.)



    "Yeah its legal as long you meet the requirements of the state law. 18 your allowed to carry and shotgun and at 21 you can carry a handgun. Its your 3rd admendment right to bear arms. But it can't be concealed or that follows into more laws. You have to own the weapon or have it registered in your name. For that to happen you have to be 18 for a shotgun and 21 for a long.rifle or a handgun."

    Now that just goes against everything ive read and everything yall've told me. Is he just saying that so i dont carry? or what?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    I sincerely hope this is a joke. You may OC a weapon at age 18 in KY. You may not buy a handgun from a licensed dealer until age 21, but you may buy a handgun from a private party at age 18. You also may CC at age 21 provided you get your CCDW.

    This would pertain to your 2nd Amendment right. There is no registration in KY. That means you can OC any weapon provided it's not stolen.

    I understand if you don't want to release the officer's name, but I am curious as to which department he serves with. If this is a sincere response from an LEO, this is quite embarrassing and very scary that LEO professional would be so blatantly ignorant to the law.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    langzaiguy wrote:
    I sincerely hope this is a joke. You may OC a weapon at age 18 in KY. You may not buy a handgun from a licensed dealer until age 21, but you may buy a handgun from a private party at age 18. You also may CC at age 21 provided you get your CCDW.

    This would pertain to your 2nd Amendment right. There is no registration in KY. That means you can OC any weapon provided it's not stolen.

    I understand if you don't want to release the officer's name, but I am curious as to which department he serves with. If this is a sincere response from an LEO, this is quite embarrassing and very scary that LEO professional would be so blatantly ignorant to the law.
    Thats what i thought. so either he was lieing to me or thats what he thinks is true. Im not sure. Hes actually a really good guy so i dont think hed lie to me.

    And he serves with the Irvington police.. :/ kinda makes me lose alittle respect for him to be honest.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    I agree, I really don't think he's lying to you. Most people believe you have to be 21 to own and carry a weapon. I would just expect more from an officer of the law.

    Glad you're double checking the law before you carry. You definitely want to keep in mind where and how you can carry.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    im starting to feel like this..heh

  15. #15
    Regular Member Thos.Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    just south of the river, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    288

    Post imported post

    Pleaseaskyour friend to read up on the Kentucky Constitution,specify Article 1 section 7. The national Constitution is compact between the States and is only binding AFTER seeking satisfaction on the State level. The way our Constitution is written is far better than the U.S Constitution anyway. Good luck educating your friend.I hope all goes well ( I frequent Irvington regularly).
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Hmmm. Irvington cop. That's a choice of two and I'll wager that I know which one.

    Go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/15867.html

    Print both OC1 and OC2, keep a copy for yourself, then give one to you-know-who.
    If you see a guy with a beard OCing at Paul's Barber shop on a weekday, it may be me.

    Just notice either a 1911 or a Taurus PT145 (depending on my mood) on the right hip.

    Edit addition: There is no means to register a firearm in Kentucky. It simply cannot be done because no KRS requires it, therefore there is no vehicle for registration.

    The exception is Federal licensing for Class III (select fire and full auto). Yes, that includes suppressors for any firearm..


  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    In fairness to your friend, there are enough laws on the books that it's really not reasonable at this point to expect cops to know them all. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that that is the situation we find ourselves in. From 10 years of working in law enforcement, my observation is that unless the officers themselves are gun-types, they generally know a) felons can't have firearms and b) they can run the serial number to find out if a gun has been entered stolen.* Anything beyond that is a hit & miss proposition.

    -r
    *gross oversimplification I realize, and I'll apologize in advance for offending any officers out there who do know which way to point the gun. I've met more than a few who don't


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    langzaiguy wrote:
    Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?
    Devil's advocate here.

    It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.

    If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.

    While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.

    Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)

    I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequieousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

    There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Thos.Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    just south of the river, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    288

    Post imported post

    alwynsw wrote:
    langzaiguy wrote:
    Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?
    Devil's advocate here.
    It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.If a leo removes your property from your person it is an illegal search.

    If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.
    While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.Why refuse? Hand it over? Have you ever heard of the Constitution?Read it? What's next, let them come into our homes and rummage around and look for things that may be a danger to"public safety"?How about We all just submit our fingerprints,just to be on the safe side? Hell let's all just run on down to the station house and answer a few routine questions for the sake of safety.In case you don't know this is America and We aren't fond of tyranny.
    Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)Ignorance of the law is no excuse as per the courts. Cops are Citizens just like you and I and are not above the law .
    I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequieousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

    There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.
    You sir, are part of the problem. It's folks like you with your "what have you got to hide" attitude that has gotten Our contry in the shape that it is in, SHAME ON YOU!!!
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    I still think that the running of the serial number against my will is a 4th amend. violation.

    I believe you are addressing a different issue. If you volunteer your weapon, it would not be a violation. You are arguing the benefits of volunteering your weapon. I'm more interested in if the involuntary, temporary seizure of the weapon & search of its serial number would be a 4th amend violation--it seems it would be.

    More along the lines of your argument--if I had a ND, or a brandished weapon, or something grossly in violation of the law, I would expect that the weapon's numbers would be run. I mean, if I'm doing something illegal with my vehicle, they are justified in pulling me over, seeing if I'm drunk, and checking my license. If I am going the speed limit, following the letter of the law, I shouldn't be subjected to a time & energy wasting detainment to prove my legality. I think that is a dangerous position for a citizen to be in--to prove one's legality.

    I suppose if a cop is genuine, courteous, and understands my right to carry and doesn't detain me, I suppose I might make his job a little easier. I guess the point is, it should be up to the citizen as to whether or not they are to comply with the search.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I was 18 whenI bought an SKS the whyI see it if you can't buy it yourself don't carry it ,the laws have some grayarea's in them .Butt we do have the right to protect ourselves

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    alwynsw wrote:
    langzaiguy wrote:
    Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?
    Devil's advocate here.
    It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.If a leo removes your property from your person it is an illegal search.

    If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.
    While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.Why refuse? Hand it over? Have you ever heard of the Constitution?Read it? What's next, let them come into our homes and rummage around and look for things that may be a danger to"public safety"?How about We all just submit our fingerprints,just to be on the safe side? Hell let's all just run on down to the station house and answer a few routine questions for the sake of safety.In case you don't know this is America and We aren't fond of tyranny.
    Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)Ignorance of the law is no excuse as per the courts. Cops are Citizens just like you and I and are not above the law .
    I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequiousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

    There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.
    You sir, are part of the problem. It's folks like you with your "what have you got to hide" attitude that has gotten Our contry in the shape that it is in, SHAME ON YOU!!!
    Try again. I was likely very active in opposing the gun grabbers whilst you were still a twinkle in pop's eye.

    If you choose to paint me with that brush, back it up. A broad slam without basis is exactly what the Brady Bunch, et al expect of those of us who believe that all U.S. and state firearms laws need to be rolled back to 1925.

    Regardless of one's stance, there is never and excuse for rudeness (as you have exhibited), smugness, or the display of a superiority.

    If you choose to flame away without stating the basis for your claim, you're no better than the touchy-feely group that fears those of us who choose to exercise our right and have those rights that have been limited restored.

    That being said, what does a law-abiding citizen have to hide?

    As an aside, if you're going to rebut within the body of a post, you might want to make it a bit more differentiated than you did when arguing my post. At least embolden or italicize it so that the 10% or so that are color blind to some degree can differentiate the writers. No. I have perfect color vision.

    Last items: Learn to read and comprehend. (Incidentally, your reference to "illegal search" in your first incorrect argument should read "illegal seizure". There's a huge difference.)I said nothing about a LEO taking a firearm. I suggested handing it to him to run the serial number.

    Read the preamble to my post. You do know what "Devil's advocate" means, don't you?

    Now. Do you want to argue with me or with the hopey-changey group that wants to disarm us all?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    langzaiguy wrote:
    I still think that the running of the serial number against my will is a 4th amend. violation.

    I believe you are addressing a different issue. If you volunteer your weapon, it would not be a violation. You are arguing the benefits of volunteering your weapon. I'm more interested in if the involuntary, temporary seizure of the weapon & search of its serial number would be a 4th amend violation--it seems it would be.

    More along the lines of your argument--if I had a ND, or a brandished weapon, or something grossly in violation of the law, I would expect that the weapon's numbers would be run. I mean, if I'm doing something illegal with my vehicle, they are justified in pulling me over, seeing if I'm drunk, and checking my license. If I am going the speed limit, following the letter of the law, I shouldn't be subjected to a time & energy wasting detainment to prove my legality. I think that is a dangerous position for a citizen to be in--to prove one's legality.

    I suppose if a cop is genuine, courteous, and understands my right to carry and doesn't detain me, I suppose I might make his job a little easier. I guess the point is, it should be up to the citizen as to whether or not they are to comply with the search.
    I addressed no consent to search.

    I'm merely recommending steps that can drastically reduce the chances of increasing your inconvenience caused by an uninformed individual.

    You hit the nail on the head. Courtesy is never unwarranted in an initial encounter of this sort - by either party.

    To sum it up, if anyone gets in a peeing contest with a cop, the cop will be the winner of the first round. Many of us do not have the funds or time to fight a specious arrest or citation. You will likely win in the end, but is it worth it? That time and money is better spent, IMHO, in working to reduce current firearms legislation and (hopefully) repeal existing legislation.

    I've been the poster child for our cause before and am willing to do so again if needs be. It's always better if you pick the time and place for your battles.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Thos.Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    just south of the river, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    288

    Post imported post

    alwynsw wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    alwynsw wrote:
    langzaiguy wrote:
    Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?
    Devil's advocate here.
    It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.If a leo removes your property from your person it is an illegal search.

    If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.
    While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.Why refuse? Hand it over? Have you ever heard of the Constitution?Read it? What's next, let them come into our homes and rummage around and look for things that may be a danger to"public safety"?How about We all just submit our fingerprints,just to be on the safe side? Hell let's all just run on down to the station house and answer a few routine questions for the sake of safety.In case you don't know this is America and We aren't fond of tyranny.
    Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)Ignorance of the law is no excuse as per the courts. Cops are Citizens just like you and I and are not above the law .
    I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequiousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

    There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.
    You sir, are part of the problem. It's folks like you with your "what have you got to hide" attitude that has gotten Our contry in the shape that it is in, SHAME ON YOU!!!
    Try again. I was likely very active in opposing the gun grabbers whilst you were still a twinkle in pop's eye. How it it that you presume to know my age? Have we met and I just don't remember you?

    If you choose to paint me with that brush, back it up. A broad slam without basis is exactly what the Brady Bunch, et al expect of those of us who believe that all U.S. and state firearms laws need to be rolled back to 1925.You are the one who suggested it was so much easier than standing up for your Rights.

    Regardless of one's stance, there is never and excuse for rudeness (as you have exhibited), smugness, or the display of a superiority.Because my opinion differs with your opinion now I have to wear the label of being rude?Are you saying it is not possible to defend your rights sans-rudeness

    If you choose to flame away without stating the basis for your claim, you're no better than the touchy-feely group that fears those of us who choose to exercise our right and have those rights that have been limited restored. The basis of my claim was clearly stated"Why refuse?Hand it over? Ever hear of the Constitution? Read it?

    That being said, what does a law-abiding citizen have to hide? It's not about whether or not a person has something to hide it's about keeping the government within the bounds of the Constitution.

    As an aside, if you're going to rebut within the body of a post, you might want to make it a bit more differentiated than you did when arguing my post. At least embolden or italicize it so that the 10% or so that are color blind to some degree can differentiate the writers. No. I have perfect color vision.Is this more acceptable?

    Last items: Learn to read and comprehend. (Incidentally, your reference to "illegal search" in your first incorrect argument should read "illegal seizure". There's a huge difference.)I said nothing about a LEO taking a firearm. I suggested handing it to him to run the serial number.If you think they going to allow you to reach down and even touch your weapon you are dillusional.

    Read the preamble to my post. You do know what "Devil's advocate" means, don't you?Why would you assume a position you disagree with just for the sake arguement?

    Now. Do you want to argue with me or with the hopey-changey group that wants to disarm us all?See above.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •