• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY Open carry

MontgomeryXIII

Louisville/Meade County/Etown, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Ok first off, im new to this forum and before i didnt think we could open carry..

But i got a few questions so if yall dont mind please help me out.

1.Do i have to have a permit to open carry?

2.What age can i open carry at? (im 19 btw)

and lastly, thank you all. :)

jaegan

imported post

IANAL, so I make no claim as to the validity of the following answers, but in my understanding:

1. no
2. 18 according to http://www.opencarry.org/age.html

I highly recommend that if you carry, you should:

a) do so with the utmost attention to safety and responsibility at all times
b) dress in a manner which brings to mind "clean cut young American" rather than the way I see a lot of kids dressed these days.

I'll probably take some flack for that second opinion, but appearance really does affect people's perception of you, and doubly so if you're also carrying a weapon.

langzaiguy

imported post

+1 Jaegan

You can carry a gun in your glove box without a CCDW. Can't carry in a bar or a school area. Other than that, enjoy your rights.

Wyoming

imported post

From your wording you obviously are 21 or younger. I saw a young man, probably 25 or so OC at the E'town Wal Mart a few weeks back. He was clean cut, wearing clean clothes and from all appearances was taking his responsibility seriously. That is the ticket - look and act like a responsible citizen, not someone dressed in orange and having their picture taken in full frontal and then from the side.

mellio

imported post

jaegan wrote:
IANAL, so I make no claim as to the validity of the following answers, but in my understanding:
Took me a while to figure out what the IANAL thing meant, at first I thought it may be a new product from Apple. :lol:

MontgomeryXIII

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Can't carry in a bar or a school area
With one exception...provided you stay in the car, you can carry while dropping your kid off at school.

I dont have a kid..so that wont be a problem. :D

Anyway, i was looking into getting a Ruger GP100 for my Carry peice. I was told by someone, think john wayne, not GI joe...

jaegan

imported post

Double action revolvers can be an excellent choice. I've never felt under-armed carrying a S&W model 10 or model 66. Gun choice is one of those highly personal, always debated things, like Mac vs Windows ;) Find something you like and practice until you're good. Then keep practicing. ;)

I wouldn't stress about the beard, "clean cut" is probably almost as much about demeanor as it is appearance. The are plenty of "clean cut" bearded guys.
Like Wyoming said, the point is to "look and act like a responsible citizen"
I've seen more than a few older carriers who seem to have forgotten this, but as a general rule, older guys wearing guns and looking sloppy don't seem to worry sheeple as much as younger guys wearing guns and looking sloppy. *shrug*

mellio: sorry about that, I thought everyone online probably recognized that as "I am not a lawyer" by now ;)

MontgomeryXIII

imported post

ok im confused now. I have a LEO Buddy and i figured just to make sure, id ask him. This is word for word what he said. (I sent him an Email.)

"Yeah its legal as long you meet the requirements of the state law. 18 your allowed to carry and shotgun and at 21 you can carry a handgun. Its your 3rd admendment right to bear arms. But it can't be concealed or that follows into more laws. You have to own the weapon or have it registered in your name. For that to happen you have to be 18 for a shotgun and 21 for a long.rifle or a handgun."

Now that just goes against everything ive read and everything yall've told me. Is he just saying that so i dont carry? or what?

langzaiguy

imported post

I sincerely hope this is a joke. You may OC a weapon at age 18 in KY. You may not buy a handgun from a licensed dealer until age 21, but you may buy a handgun from a private party at age 18. You also may CC at age 21 provided you get your CCDW.

This would pertain to your 2nd Amendment right. There is no registration in KY. That means you can OC any weapon provided it's not stolen.

I understand if you don't want to release the officer's name, but I am curious as to which department he serves with. If this is a sincere response from an LEO, this is quite embarrassing and very scary that LEO professional would be so blatantly ignorant to the law.

MontgomeryXIII

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I sincerely hope this is a joke. You may OC a weapon at age 18 in KY. You may not buy a handgun from a licensed dealer until age 21, but you may buy a handgun from a private party at age 18. You also may CC at age 21 provided you get your CCDW.

This would pertain to your 2nd Amendment right. There is no registration in KY. That means you can OC any weapon provided it's not stolen.

I understand if you don't want to release the officer's name, but I am curious as to which department he serves with. If this is a sincere response from an LEO, this is quite embarrassing and very scary that LEO professional would be so blatantly ignorant to the law.

Thats what i thought. so either he was lieing to me or thats what he thinks is true. Im not sure. Hes actually a really good guy so i dont think hed lie to me.

And he serves with the Irvington police.. :/ kinda makes me lose alittle respect for him to be honest.

langzaiguy

imported post

I agree, I really don't think he's lying to you. Most people believe you have to be 21 to own and carry a weapon. I would just expect more from an officer of the law.

Glad you're double checking the law before you carry. You definitely want to keep in mind where and how you can carry.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Pleaseaskyour friend to read up on the Kentucky Constitution,specify Article 1 section 7. The national Constitution is compact between the States and is only binding AFTER seeking satisfaction on the State level. The way our Constitution is written is far better than the U.S Constitution anyway. Good luck educating your friend.I hope all goes well ( I frequent Irvington regularly).

sawhitt

imported post

Hmmm. Irvington cop. That's a choice of two and I'll wager that I know which one.

Go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/15867.html

Print both OC1 and OC2, keep a copy for yourself, then give one to you-know-who.
If you see a guy with a beard OCing at Paul's Barber shop on a weekday, it may be me.

Just notice either a 1911 or a Taurus PT145 (depending on my mood) on the right hip.

Edit addition: There is no means to register a firearm in Kentucky. It simply cannot be done because no KRS requires it, therefore there is no vehicle for registration.

The exception is Federal licensing for Class III (select fire and full auto). Yes, that includes suppressors for any firearm..

jaegan

imported post

In fairness to your friend, there are enough laws on the books that it's really not reasonable at this point to expect cops to know them all. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that that is the situation we find ourselves in. From 10 years of working in law enforcement, my observation is that unless the officers themselves are gun-types, they generally know a) felons can't have firearms and b) they can run the serial number to find out if a gun has been entered stolen.* Anything beyond that is a hit & miss proposition.

-r
*gross oversimplification I realize, and I'll apologize in advance for offending any officers out there who do know which way to point the gun. I've met more than a few who don't ;)

langzaiguy

imported post

Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?

sawhitt

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Unless the officer believes a gun crime has been committed, how is he justified to run the serial numbers of a gun? Isn't that illegal search & seizure?

Devil's advocate here.

It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.

If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.

While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.

Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)

I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequieousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

alwynsw wrote:
langzaiguy wrote:

Devil's advocate here.
It's not necessary to search someone who is openly carrying in order to determine that he is indeed carrying a firearm. The idea of illegal search holds no water.If a leo removes your property from your person it is an illegal search.

If one who has identified himself as a LEO and reasonably proved himself to be so requests your handgun to check the serial number, why refuse? Tell him what you're doing, observe all rules of firearm safety, clear the weapon and hand it over.
While it may be a gross inconvenience to the owner (and very nosy and rude of the cop), doing as I wrote above can keep a small hassle from turning into a large hassle.Why refuse? Hand it over? Have you ever heard of the Constitution?Read it? What's next, let them come into our homes and rummage around and look for things that may be a danger to"public safety"?How about We all just submit our fingerprints,just to be on the safe side? Hell let's all just run on down to the station house and answer a few routine questions for the sake of safety.In case you don't know this is America and We aren't fond of tyranny.
Many LEO's and John Q's are ignorant of gun laws. We can and should politely inform them, especially the LEO's of the laws that are in effect in our respective states as well as pertinent Federal statures when necessary and possible. (That's easy enough by printing and carrying the applicable references found in this forum.)Ignorance of the law is no excuse as per the courts. Cops are Citizens just like you and I and are not above the law .
I'm am neither now a cop, nor have I ever been a cop. I have worked very closely with them over the years. They're far better to have as friendly acquaintances than adversaries. I am not advocating obsequieousness toward cops, just common sense and good manners. Their BS detectors are as good as ours - or better.

There are times in which it is preferable to be the wheat rather than the oak.
You sir, are part of the problem. It's folks like you with your "what have you got to hide" attitude that has gotten Our contry in the shape that it is in, SHAME ON YOU!!!