• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deep Concealment BUG?

n16ht5

imported post

I am looking for a deep concealment back up gun.. something I can keep in an ankle holster or other. I was thinking of getting an LCP, but I am worried that I should be spending more money on something better like a SW642. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Chris

B

Bikenut

imported post

Please choose your method of carry carefully incorporating the gun itself into the equation. For some body builds/clothing choices it is easy to conceal a Glock 26 in a pocket holster.. while other body builds just won't work with that gun but a small revolver will.

Some folks use a crotch holster and don't mind having a pistol sharing the same space as their... ummm... gun:what: but others shy away from the idea of that or just don't have room for it. (snicker!)

Ankle holsters work well for some with the ease of accessibility when seated as a plus while the weight of the gun on the end of a leg is too uncomfortable for others.

Elastic shoulder holsters (and some leather shoulder holsters) work well under buttoned/snapped shirts but don't work that well under T shirts...

And, although I have yet to see anyone use one, a lanyard equipped pistol can be worn around the neck under a shirt. I think I've not seen that done because I just don't think it would work very well in real life.

And some folks just carry another gun on their weak side hip to complement the gun carried on their strong side hip.

As with everything... it will be a trade off between accessibility, concealment, expectation of rounds needed/situations that may be encountered, and comfort.

I personally like an elastic shoulder holster for my Smith 637 worn under a buttoned (with one button left open for accessibility) shirt.... and a Glock 26 in a pocket. I tried a Kel Tec P32 on my ankle and even that small light gun became very uncomfortable at the end of the day.

I know... I didn't help answer your question but gave you more to question.

n16ht5

imported post

Ill have to revisit the LCR. hmm... I was planning on ankle holster carry, as it is quick to get to (I dont want to be dead and partially nude lol)

Big Shrek

imported post

Watch yerselves...Ruger's havingrecalls...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCPRecall/

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

Personally, I've owneda few Rugers...a pair of Vaquero's, a 10/22T, and worked on a fewmore as well. I'd classify them as about the same as/slightly below Taurus in Pistol Quality...and about the same as Savage in Rifles.

Their triggers Universally suck, no matter what gun. There are many books on trigger rehab and hundreds of MFR's making millions off of Ruger's sucky triggers by offering aftermarket alternative replacements. The timing issues with the Vaquero revolvers are Well Known.

There are better and less expensive alternatives out there.

I will take a S&W over a Ruger ANY DAY. Heck, for that matter, gimme a Taurus JUDGE :)

And for a .22lr rifle...gimme a Marlin 60 or 795...way more precise at the range straight out of the box. I returned my 10/22T to Ruger for repair, it came back, I was unsatisfyed...so I traded it for a Yamaha XS400 motorcycle...and I KNOW I got the best end of that deal :)

smash29

imported post

Big Shrek wrote:
Watch yerselves...Ruger's havingrecalls...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCPRecall/

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

Personally, I've owneda few Rugers...a pair of Vaquero's, a 10/22T, and worked on a fewmore as well. I'd classify them as about the same as/slightly below Taurus in Pistol Quality...and about the same as Savage in Rifles.

Their triggers Universally suck, no matter what gun. There are many books on trigger rehab and hundreds of MFR's making millions off of Ruger's sucky triggers by offering aftermarket alternative replacements. The timing issues with the Vaquero revolvers are Well Known.

There are better and less expensive alternatives out there.

I will take a S&W over a Ruger ANY DAY. Heck, for that matter, gimme a Taurus JUDGE :)

And for a .22lr rifle...gimme a Marlin 60 or 795...way more precise at the range straight out of the box. I returned my 10/22T to Ruger for repair, it came back, I was unsatisfyed...so I traded it for a Yamaha XS400 motorcycle...and I KNOW I got the best end of that deal :)

Ruger supposedly made a concerted effort to put a good trigger in the LCR and IMHO they succeeded. Yesterday I did some back to back shooting with the LCR and a couple Airweights and I'd say the LCRs trigger is just as good as, if not better than, the Smiths. It's a much softer shooting gun too.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

smash29 wrote:

Ruger supposedly made a concerted effort to put a good trigger in the LCR and IMHO they succeeded. Yesterday I did some back to back shooting with the LCR and a couple Airweights and I'd say the LCRs trigger is just as good as, if not better than, the Smiths. It's a much softer shooting gun too.

That's good commentary/info about the LCR. Thanks, S29. How much did cost?

Ima definitely thinking about getting one, even though I love Smith J-frames and can't really see something else replacing my main carry revo. I would be willing to give the LCR a chance though. Does the LCR use the same holsters as the Smiths?

smash29

imported post

The LCR is $525 atmy range/shop but I think one could be found for less without a lot of trouble.

After trying out the LCR for the first time last week I went back through some gun magazine reviews and that's where I read about what Ruger was working on with the trigger design. Whatever they did to it seems to have worked! The biggest thing I noticed during my back to back time with the LCR, 442, and 638 was the feel of the guns when fired, the polymer supposedly absorbs recoil and is said to soften the impact on your hand/wrist and that does seem to be the case here. I found it interesting that despite their virtually identical weights the LCR was more comfortable and controllable with the supplied Hogue "2 finger" grip than the 442 was with a full, "3 finger" Hogue installed, at least to me.

I'm really wanting to like the Smiths and will be shooting them more in an attempt to warm up to them but as of right now the LCR is definitely in the lead. Theissues Ruger had with the LCP and SR9 soon after their rollout do weigh on my mind though...

Not too sure about holsters. I want to say that one of the reviews mentioned the LCR being compatable with Smith-types but I could be wrong.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yesterday morning, I went out to visit two gun shops in another town about 35 miles away. Both of these shops had one LCP left and one of them just got theirs in yesterday for someone who ordered it. I was able to handle both and they were recently made guns with serial numbers beginning with 372. The first shop (the one that had ordered the LCP) sold them for $289 and the second one had theirs displayed at $324.99.

There were a few things I liked about the LCP and several things I did not care for at all. I liked the finish and apparent observed quality of the piece. I also liked the slide hold back feature which really helps in disassembly. Also the recessed magazine button is a good thing. Finally, the two LCP's I examined both had the blackened barrel to fight rust.

I did not like the trigger at all. My 2nd gen Kel-Tec P3AT has a much better and smoother trigger on it. Also, the grip frame of the P3AT for me is quite a bit better than that of the LCP.

So I came home without an LCP and will stick with my P3AT after all. Sometime soon, I would love to examine and handle the new Kahr .380 just to see how it compares.

n16ht5

imported post

I settled on a Kel Tec PF9. perfect size, I dont have to buy a new caliber in ammo, and it fits the hand (well 2 fingers atleast) for a mousegun. really small too for a 9

The Wolfhound

imported post

Got the LCR and love the way it shoots. No one will want to spend the day shooting it though, especially with +P ammo. It is small and light. The grips are very good for controlling flip. With my usuall pocket junk onboard my family could not only not tellI was carrying but could not even tell which pocket once informed that I was carrying. It disappears quite well.