• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friendly / Unfriendly Businesses?

Dreamer

imported post

I've noticed that some of the other State threads have "stickies" (topics that always stay at the top of the section, and can only be edited by the moderators) that are essentially databases of businesses, cities, and gun shops that are friendly and unfriendly to OC and CC.

Is there any way we could have something like that in the NC thread? It seems that there are a lot of scattered threads on this topic, and its very difficult to find info. Often, new info that is slightly off-topic gets posted in threads because it's sort of relevant, but this makes it even harder to find specific info.

I'm currently working on a list of businesses in the Greenville/Washington area, but NC is a BIG state, and I don't get around that much these days due to my work/school schedule.

Just a thought...

Bebog

imported post

If you all are interested, we can start listing some right here. Personally I can vouch for:
Food Lion (Selma, both in Smithfield, and 40/210)
Lowes (Smithfield and 40/42)
Reedy Creek Gas and Grocery
Papa's Pizza and Subs(40/210)
AutoZone (40/210 and Smithfield)
Sherwin Williams (Smithfield)
Wal-Mart (Smithfield)
Ming Moon (Four Oaks)

There are many others since I OC 90% of the time that I am out and about but these are the ones that I have gone into with enough consistency to vouch for. That being said, I have never had a bad experience to day yet (knock on wood).

NCjones

imported post

Is this list business that are GF or not GF?

hittman2 wrote:
If you all are interested, we can start listing some right here. Personally I can vouch for:
Food Lion (Selma, both in Smithfield, and 40/210)
Lowes (Smithfield and 40/42)
Reedy Creek Gas and Grocery
Papa's Pizza and Subs(40/210)
AutoZone (40/210 and Smithfield)
Sherwin Williams (Smithfield)
Wal-Mart (Smithfield)
Ming Moon (Four Oaks)

There are many others since I OC 90% of the time that I am out and about but these are the ones that I have gone into with enough consistency to vouch for. That being said, I have never had a bad experience to day yet (knock on wood).

buzzsaw

imported post

I wish to add Jim's Pawn shop, Wilmington to the positive side of the ledger. I was shopping there today (first time in a while). Big sign on the door "OPEN CARRY only No Concealed Carry". I did thank the staff member who offered to help me for their support of 2A. Didn't inquire re: no CC.

Dreamer

imported post

OC-friendly businesses in Washington NC:

Fifth Street Service Center (auto repair)
425 Hackney Ave, Washington NC

Moore Motor Co. (GMC service center)
412 W 5th St, Washington, NC

Washington Coins & Pawn 828 Washington Plz, Washington, NC

Dellinger's Pawn Brokers Inc 184 W Main St, Washington, NC
Wal-Mart Supercenter (Store #1354)
Washington, NC

Lowes (Store #0786)
1701 Carolina Ave., Washington, NC

Food Lion (Store #762)
1706 US Highway 264 W, Washington NC

Gun stores in the Washington/Greenville area:

Awesome Outdoors
1989 W 5th St, Washington NC
NO concealed carry. Variable on Open Carry. Sometimes they let me OC if I show them it's unloaded and take the mag out, sometimes they ask me to leave it at the front desk...

Warrens Sports Headquarters
240 W Main St, Washington NC
100% OC and CC-friendly

D & L Guns
171 Cooper Street, Winterville NC
100% OC and CC-friendly (they actually PREFER that you OC...)

Adventure Outfitters
2592 Railroad St, Winterville NC
100% OC and CC-friendly (they actually PREFER that you OC...)

Mackey's Landing Firearms
30757 US Highway 64, Jamesville NC
OC-friendly ONLY, and it MUST be unloaded

Dreamer

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
I wish to add Jim's Pawn shop, Wilmington to the positive side of the ledger. I was shopping there today (first time in a while). Big sign on the door "OPEN CARRY only No Concealed Carry". I did thank the staff member who offered to help me for their support of 2A. Didn't inquire re: no CC.
That seems to be a trend with a lot of gun stores and pawn shops. They are perfectly fine with OC, but don't allow CC. I'm not clear on the reasoning, other than some of them seem to be OK as long as they can SEE that you're carrying. I think most of them would rather know for sure if you are or are not carrying, and the only way to do that is to ONLY allow OC...

Most of the gun stores/pawn shops in my area have told me as much, anyway...

It's kind of odd, that places that sell guns DON'T want you concealing, but places that are borderline "anti" will sometimes TELL you to cover it up if you are OCing. That sort of logic just boggles the mind...

chiefjason

imported post

Hickory, NC

I would consider these places OK with it, since I have dealt with the owner/manager while OC'ing.

Smiths Tactical Supply, Highland Ave.
Sub Station, Hwy 70
Nakamos Japanese Rest, Hwy 70
Foothills Jewelry and Loan, Hwy 70 Longview, NC
Family Christian Bookstores, Catawba Valley Blvd
Happy Day Grocery, Hwy 70 Hildebran
Dick's Sporting Goods, Catawba Valley Blvd

Now, these I have been in with no issue. I have never had any interaction with employees that would lead me to believe they are pro or anti though.
Walmart, Hickory, Conover, and Granite Falls
Target, Catawba Valley Blvd
Party City, Catawba Valley Blvd
Best Buy, Catawba Valley Blvd
Old Navy, Catawba Valley Blvd
Kohls, Catawba Valley Blvd
Petco, LR Blvd
Home Depot, LR Blvd
Lowes, Hwy 70 and 127
Big Lots, Hwy 70
Little Ceasars, 321
Food Lion, Airport Rd and Hwy 70 Hildebran
Mountain View Hardware, Hwy 127 Mountain View

Dreamer

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Hickory, NC

I would consider these places OK with it, since I have dealt with the owner/manager while OC'ing.

Wow. That must be the only Japanese restaurant on the planet that doesn't serve alcohol...

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
chiefjason wrote:
Hickory, NC

Wow. That must be the only Japanese restaurant on the planet that doesn't serve alcohol...

Yeah it's redneck meets Japanese. 6 tables, mostly takeout. Strongest thing they serve is sweet tea. 1 local owner/older white lady and 2 asian, though not likely Japanese, cooks. Great steak and shrimp with shrimp sauce though! It's in the strip mall with Wendy's, rent a center, some random tax service, and family dollar. Fine dining at it's redneck best. :celebrate