• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So let me get this straight....

dasfzero

imported post

I was unaware ohio permitted open carry. I have been looking into my CCW for quite some time now and have the paper work filled out. I havent submitted it yet bc i am a recent college grad who is completly broke and cannot afford the class and ccw at this point.

From what i have been reading am i correct in saying that i am able to open carry anywhere in the state of ohio as long as i conform to the gun free zone restrictions just as i would if i carrying concealed? is there any important info i am missing to do this legally?

I am a strict believer in safe gun handling and obeying the law (and fighting against the unjust ones)

Happy hunting! :)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

You might be best to ask this in the Ohio section. Scroll down to the 'stories from the states' section towards the bottom of the main forum page and look for Ohio...

Deanimator

imported post

You can open carry without a license... except in a vehicle. As long as you're walking everywhere, you're good... unless you unexpectedly need to go into a CPZ. If you've got a CHL and are driving, you can lock the gun in your car. What are you going to do if you're on foot, open carrying and HAVE to go to a CPZ? Leave it outside on the ground?

And even if you disarm and put your gun in the trunk, if you don't have a CHL, ALL magazines AND speed loaders MUST be unloaded.

Even if you open carry, a CHL is VERY handy.

dasfzero

imported post

thanks for your responses. Im new to the site and havent found my around it all yet. i just made the same post in the ohio section.

just when i thought i had ohio gun laws figured out i find there a million more things to understand.

glad i found this place

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hay Das, isn't it nice to know you don't need to be wealthy to exercise your rights now, andyou'll beable to defend yourself against would-be attackers if needed?

The general consensus among many is that by needing a permit to carry a firearm, it has lowered our 2A rights down to a mere "Pay to Play" privilege.

Deanimator

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Hay Das, isn't it nice to know you don't need to be wealthy to exercise your rights now, andyou'll beable to defend yourself against would-be attackers if needed?

The general consensus among many is that by needing a permit to carry a firearm, it has lowered our 2A rights down to a mere "Pay to Play" privilege.
I moved to Ohio from Chicago in '86. Compared to Illinois (nevermind Chicago), Ohio is as wide open as the Tribal Territories of Pakistan. Things could be better... and they're getting that way.

Next stop, restaurant carry...