• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

vehicle carry

spoon

imported post

i have been carrying for 35 years in MA but am new to maine carry. could anyone tell me if itislegal to leave a loaded handgun in a glove compartment of a locked vehicle.

it is not legal in MA. THANX

jay75009

imported post

APG53 wrote:
i have been carrying for 35 years in MA but am new to maine carry. could anyone tell me if itislegal to leave a loaded handgun in a glove compartment of a locked vehicle.

it is not legal in MA. THANX

i personaly wont even carry in my glovebox anymore in Maine, last time i did i was stopped for a hanging licence plate light, opened the glove not thinking to get my insurance and reg.....next thing i know BPD had a Glock .40 aimed at my temple.........but then again its biddeford........they are always jumpy there haha

Deuce1911

imported post

did you aim back lol just kidding but it raises a thought ive had a few times. what if you are ocing and someone has called in a mwag on you without your knowledge. Now yo dont know what transpired over the fone. Perhaps the person who called has told a tale that makes it seem like violence is going to happen very soon or that they fear for their lives, wich would be a complete fabrication. maybe your standing in line for something or what have you. without warning an undercover, who is the first responder, comes up from behind with a little too much enthusiasim. Now i dont know about the rest of you but i train as much as i can. I have been puting into practice things that i feel are most probable, like an attacker advancing from behind. So this undercover has not identified himself as an officer he is now well within your alert zone. Thats what i call the area around my person within a set distance of me. A zone in which i know my reaction times to differnt attack angles. So you see this guy who looks like anyone else roll up behind and he looks like he has purpose! I know my reaction would be to identify as a threat turn and place my hand on my weapon. i wonder what would happen? i like to think up hypathetical situations. any thoughts?

jay75009

imported post

i think if anyone came up behind me that quickly i would react in a defensive manner as well........also a nightmare i dont wanna think about lol

hence why the suject of OC needs to be more well known among normal civilians, that way they see one of us and say "oh hes using his rightto open carry" and not say "oh my god that man has a gun"

people seem to think that the weapon is going to jump out of the holster by itself and start shooting people.

i think its kind of nice that law abiding citzens carry openly.........all the anti's will be glad when their grocery gets robbed and one of us just happens to be shopping at the same time ;-)

Peacemaker

imported post

Does anyone know of case law where the court has interpreted what concealed about the person's person means?

For example, in Georgia, the courts have said that a gun in the seat on a car would still be concealed since it is not visible from all outside angles. Fortunately, since last year one does not need a permit to carry a firearm anywhere in his or her car.

jay75009

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
Does anyone know of case law where the court has interpreted what concealed about the person's person means?

For example, in Georgia, the courts have said that a gun in the seat on a car would still be concealed since it is not visible from all outside angles. Fortunately, since last year one does not need a permit to carry a firearm anywhere in his or her car.
i really think that one is up to the officers inerpertation *spelling?* , i have had firearms in my car, on the seat and not had problems, but i've also been removed from my car for having an airsoft pistol on the back seat........i would check with a lawyer for the exact definition of what that one means

aosailor

imported post

I live in North Carolina, but am originally from Maine. I am planning a trip to Maine to see family in Nov. I open carry in NC and know its legal in ME as well, but I'm a little lost on the whole "in the car" thing. I can walk around in public with an openly carried gun, but I cant drive to these public areas? how does this make sense?

jay75009

imported post

i would just unload the weapon before getting into the vehicle, and relaod when you get out to be safe, and a few places to NOT carry openly!.

Portland WILL disarm you, no questions asked!

Auburn/lewiston is just about the same as portland.

Biddeford is liabale to shoot you for OC, they dont even know its legal in biddo, i got taken down at gunpoint and had my weapon seased, searched, detained, brought to county jail........just dont OC in biddo lol

other than that have fun :-D if you look at my older posts, i've taked to saco PD chief and deputy chief, all the sergants, saco is OC friendly if you head this way :-D

aosailor

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
i would just unload the weapon before getting into the vehicle, and relaod when you get out to be safe, and a few places to NOT carry openly!.

Portland WILL disarm you, no questions asked, they are dicks!

Biddeford is liabale to shoot you for OC, they dont even know its legal in biddo, i got taken down at gunpoint and had my weapon seased, searched, detained, brought to county jail........just dont OC in biddo lol

other than that have fun :-D if you look at my older posts, i've taked to saco PD chief and deputy chief, all the sergants, saco is OC friendly if you head this way :-D

thanks for the advice! I might go to Lewiston, but most of my time will be in Dexter. does Lewiston have a city ordnance against it, or are the cops just stupid??

jay75009

imported post

aosailor wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

thanks for the advice! I might go to Lewiston, but most of my time will be in Dexter. does Lewiston have a city ordnance against it, or are the cops just stupid??
they are like portland, they know that OC is perefectly legal, they know they will probably be sued for false arrest or detainment, but they frankly just dont care, odds are they will use force to disarm you, and then detain you for a rediculous amount of time, only to release you without your weapon. some Departments are just horrible. Should be good in dexter though :-D

Hendu024

imported post

aosailor wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

They may have a city ordinance, but it would be illegal. Maine has full state preemption.

jay75009

imported post

yeah portland is horrible. they have been sued alot for 4th violation. and i will stick to that opinion all day haha. they have tried to make ordinances and failed, arrested people and the charges were thrown out. harassed people and got sued........yet they still dont quite get it