• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reporting lost or stolen guns possible legislation in Wisconsin

Hillmann

imported post

BJA wrote:
I saw this on the news sometime when that officer got shot a week or so ago. Proposed legislation by amilwaukee representative coggs that would make it a crime if you didn't report to the authorities if your gun was lost or stolen with in 48 hours.

Here is the link http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-091001-gun-laws,0,193963.story

I don't know if I could find all my guns in the next 48 hours let alone determan if one is missing or stolen.

Stoney-Point

imported post

Aw man...I lose count whenever I try to count mine. How can they expect me to keep track of them?

48 hours from when...when it was stolen? or from when you realized it was gone?

How can they prove the timeline?

What if you don't know it's been stolen while you were out of town for a couple weeks?

BS legislation to add more confusion to the already confusing/contradictory laws on the books. Yeah...

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
This may mean that gun-safes will have to be opened and inventoried frequently. So much for safe storage laws.

Gun control is keeping it on your hip.
Very interested in your take on this. As far as a "simple" rule of law (if we could have ONE), I can't find a problem with the idea. I would say, "one should know where things you own, that could hurt people, are, at "most" times. If I let you use my car, I should have an idea of what you are going to do with it... I can not control YOU, but I should have an idea of my cars location... I must say that my kitchen knives, could become a problem though... But...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

My most valuable gun is in its gun rug in the safe that was opened just yesterday. I noticed the rug. May the law require that I further open the rug to verify its contents, indeed, as I mentioned, regularly?

Coincidentally, I was restoring our passports. Should their theft not also be required to be noticed within 48 hours? Shouldn't any loss be similarly required to be noticed?

Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would should and could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and are thus moot and not 'scientific' (after Sir Karl Popper).

The law is an ass that lawyers ride to work.

protias

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
This may mean that gun-safes will have to be opened and inventoried frequently. So much for safe storage laws.

Gun control is keeping it on your hip.
gun%20control%20is%20hitting%20what%20you%20aim%20at.jpg

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lmao same here Jeff. Anyways I'm wondering how there going to go about enforcing this or even enact it! It seems Doug isreferring to thesame thing I was thinkingabout "this could get pretty hairy". Remember how loosely worded and contradictory all the other gun laws are here in Wisconsin?? What happens to my guns is my business, same thing with my knives, gas, welder, nail gun, hammer, blow torch, chainsaw, tire iron etc.theres no dam way there going to make it any different.

Ben

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Loaded gun found at Starbuck school
LINDSAY FIORI lindsay.fiori@journaltimes.com | Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:20 pm | 1 Comment

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

RACINE -- A loaded gun was found outside the front doors of Starbuck Middle School just before school started Friday morning, district and police officials said.

The gun was taken inside and unloaded. No one was injured, and Racine Unified School District staff said the incident is isolated and very unusual.

The gun was found by a student and a parent outside the school's front doors on a pathway around 8:30 a.m. Friday, said police and Principal Sandra Brand.

The student and parent notified Brand, who immediately went outside.

"My initial thought was that it couldn't be real," Brand said. "I've been an administrator for quite a few years now, and that's the first instance I've had of a real one."

To avoid causing alarm and to get the gun away from students as quickly as possible, Brand took the gun inside to her office where a teacher unloaded it, said district spokesman Paul Holley.

"I needed to get it out of the way," Brand said. "We had students coming into the building at the time for school."

Racine police then responded to the school, 1516 Ohio St., department spokesman Sgt. Bernie Kupper said. He said Brand did the right thing by moving the gun "rather than leave it there when there's kids and parents around."

Kupper said Brand and her staff could have placed a garbage can over the gun, which renders it not visible while also preserving its location and any fingerprints for police, who could make sure the gun was safe and not in a firing position before removing it.

"In the perfect world, they would call police right away and stand over the firearm, leaving it where it lies," Kupper said. "(But) its evidentiary value is less important than the safety of everyone around."

On Friday, Starbuck sent a memo about the incident to staff and also sent a letter home with students, Brand said.

"All we know is what the (police department) knows," Holley said.

Unified will not investigate who put the gun there, Holley said, and according to Kupper Racine police aren't either.

No student is suspected of placing the gun at the school, and Kupper said someone may have dropped the gun there the previous night after being scared by a police car driving by.

Kupper said police know the gun was reported stolen from Milwaukee, so, while it is currently in the Racine Police Department's possession, the gun will likely be returned to Milwaukee and its owner.

Christine Won contributed to this report.

Posted in Local on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:20 pm | Tags: Starbuck Middle School, Sandra Brand

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

springfield 1911 wrote:
Kupper said police know the gun was reported stolen from Milwaukee, so, while it is currently in the Racine Police Department's possession, the gun will likely be returned to Milwaukee and its owner.

Yeah right!! Anyone think they will try to villianize Badger some more about this ?Because there is a very good chance that is where the gun was originaly purchased by a legal purchaser.

I can see the headline now, "Gun found at racine school traced back to badger guns"

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Here's the thing. This is practically unenforceable unless there is gun registration. More feel good crap. They would have to prove that you did not sell it to a legitimate WI resident if you claimed that this is what happened.

Pointman

imported post

AaronS wrote:
....As far as a "simple" rule of law (if we could have ONE), I can't find a problem with the idea. I would say, "one should know where things you own, that could hurt people, are, at "most" times.....
So I need to inventory all my shoes, so a shoe string isn't used to strangle someone. If there are rocks in my yard....

Guns don't commit crimes, people do.