Thread: 18 USC 922(g) vs. US. v Lopez

Post imported post

Be aware that although 626.9PC does not effect long arms, that 18 USC 922(q) does. Now how likely a prosecution under this section is another story is another question due to US. v Lopez

The law is still on the books, so you can be charged for it should they decide to be a pain in your side.

I would avoid carrying in all school zones

SCOTUS said, "We hold that the Act exceeds the authority of Congress "[t]o regulate Commerce . . . among the several States . . . ." U. S. Const., Art. I, §8, cl. 3."

Is the section of the law still enforceable?

US. v Lopez is an interesting read non the less.

New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

Post imported post

I just got out of my political science class and after class I asked my professor about this situation specifically.

He said that since SCOTUS ruled it unconstitutional in that the accused did not effect interstate commerce. The law remains on the books due to it being part of a larger law which would have to be rewritten and go through all the legislative hurtles again.

In order to be charged with 18 USC 922(g) on would have to be interfering with interstate commerce ie: drug possession, some type of business, etc.

Going about your daily business does not interfere with interstate commerce.

In summery you can be charged but unless you are taking part in interstate commerce at the time the charges are unconstitutional.

I really hate the interstate commerce clause lol

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

chewy352 wrote:
    SNIP Is the section of the law still enforceable?
    This is where quoting the law actually comes in handy.

After the ruling, Congress went back and clarified the prohibition to include guns that have moved in interstate commerce. Sneaky, overreaching jerks.

To my knowledge, no one hase been charged under the new statute.

I can't copy and paste, but here is a link to a .pdf that shows the changes after Lopez.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

chewy352 wrote:
    Be aware that although 626.9PC does not effect long arms, that 18 USC 922(q) does. Now how likely a prosecution under this section is another story is another question due to US. v Lopez

The law is still on the books, so you can be charged for it should they decide to be a pain in your side.

SCOTUS said, "We hold that the Act exceeds the authority of Congress "[t]o regulate Commerce . . . among the several States . . . ." U. S. Const., Art. I, §8, cl. 3."

Go back and read 18,922.q.2 and specifically q.2.ii, and you'll clearly see that if you are licensed to carry within your state, you can carry within a school zone.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    chewy352 wrote:

Go back and read 18,922.q.2 and specifically q.2.ii, and you'll clearly see that if you are licensed to carry within your state, you can carry within a school zone.
    Also check your state laws. Many states have laws prohibiting carry in school zones.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    chewy352 wrote:

CA does not require a license to UOC.

Post imported post

ak56 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    chewy352 wrote:

Also check your state laws. Many states have laws prohibiting carry in school zones.
    CA has PC 626.9 which does not seem imo to outlaw longarms in school zones. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...ile=626-626.11