• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revoking cpl for oc'ing

Dozer

imported post

I'm sure this has come up before but I was unable to find anything about it.

After a long discussion under the right circumstances with a pair of state police officers and a criminal law student on the subject of open carry, I was informed by them under current case law they can and have revoked a persons cpl for oc'ing. I have not been able to find any info on this myself, but I also don't have a legal library to use for reference. During this discussion the officers also explained to me that there is no legal way of getting into your vehicle with a firearm unless it is already in a case coming from or going to a firing range or hunting area. Where I was under the impression that as long as I had my cpl I could enter my vehicle then classifying my sidearm as concealed even though it is still open on my hip.They informed me that this would be in violation of my cpl and would allow them to revoke my cpl. There seems to be some very fine and blurry lines that officers can still use in this state according to our discussion. The criminal law student in this conversation is a good friend of mine who lived with me in both Colorado and Arizona where we both oc'ed all the time so I know he is on our side.

autosurgeon

imported post

These guys have their head up a place that is dark and stinky! :cuss: As is so often the case police are not the ones to be discussing the finer points of the law with... also neither is a criminal law student who seems to need to head back to the library!

maahes

imported post

Ive had multiple state and local police tell me similar. I easily shut them up by asking for proof, show me the law or the case documents, when they cant provide either I show them the law and case documents that prove what they are spouting is a load of crap.

T Vance

imported post

Dozer wrote:
During this discussion the officers also explained to me that there is no legal way of getting into your vehicle with a firearm unless it is already in a case coming from or going to a firing range or hunting area.

Why would people waste their money to get a CPL if this was true?

I wonder if those cops are anything like this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GovV4iZN0vQ

Dozer

imported post

I would like to thank everyone for their speedy responses. I am looking for solid proof that I can print and hand to them as these are people that I would like to educate on the topic. The more knowledge I can share with them the more likely they are to smile and wave as they drive by instead of causing a hassle. I have read the letter to law enforcement that is posted on another thread and printed it as well but does not cover the topics at hand.

Michigander

imported post

Dozer wrote:
I would like to thank everyone for their speedy responses. I am looking for solid proof that I can print and hand to them as these are people that I would like to educate on the topic. .
The burden is on them. If they claim to know of a non existent law, you can't really hope to find proof that it doesn't exist.

T Vance

imported post

Dozer wrote:
I am looking for solid proof that I can print and hand to them as these are people that I would like to educate on the topic. The more knowledge I can share with them the more likely they are to smile and wave as they drive by instead of causing a hassle. I have read the letter to law enforcement that is posted on another thread and printed it as well but does not cover the topics at hand.

You might not find "proof". There is no "proof" if there is no law against something.

A CPL allows the licensee to carry CONCEALED ANYWHERE except for the few places listed on the back of the card, and to get around those places you can simply OC as long as you have a CPL.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Also, show them this, see what they think!

optical%20illusion.jpg