• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Other rights violated by Michigan police

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder if this could be an ADA discrimination lawsuit?

Easily can be a deprivation of rights lawsuit, but, since the Feds think cannabis is illegal, would it hold up in court at all?

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

Easily can be a deprivation of rights lawsuit, but, since the Feds think cannabis is illegal, would it hold up in court at all?
Yeah, it's hard to say if he would win in a federal court.

WARCHILD

imported post

since the Feds think cannabis is illegal

It Is!.... It is only legal under state law. That's the problem with the ignorance of having useless laws. You are legal under state law, but it is still against federal law. So don't be surprised if you have the sign on your door etc.... and here come the raids. They are going to charge you with a federal violation, not a state law. So you're busted...period.
I had this discussion with a friend of mine who has a permit for such possession of "Herbal Relief" and I told him.. if some cop gets a bone against him and Knock,Knock...busted. He is an avid hunter and has quite a few bang sticks around the house...Busted...possession of a firearm while committing a felony, which carries much more weight for the charges. I'm not saying this will happen, just that it could happen in this way. As with some of our Jack Booted LEO's, it would not surprise me.
Just my negative opinion.....Rant off...:banghead:

Decoligny

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

Unfortunately the ADA is only applicable to "facilities". As such facilities must make accomodations for access to the disabled. It does not apply to actions taken against the disabled by companies, individuals, or even Government agencies.

If a person in a wheelchair can't get to a restaurant, or Police Department, because the only access is up a flight of stairs, the ADA comes into play.

jeremy05

imported post

I'm pretty anti smoking in general, weed or the regular. I really don't care what people do in their own time, its just when it affects me. I hate going to bars and coming home smelling like shit.

I hate seeing people at the hospital due to smoking related problems and knowing that in some way we are footing the bill. Even if they have insurance, the company's will just raise the rates for everyone else. They are going to get the money back.

Smoking pot isn't any worse than a cigarette, but it isn't much better.

Just my opnion

Greggy_D

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
I'm pretty anti smoking in general, weed or the regular. I really don't care what people do in their own time, its just when it affects me. I hate going to bars and coming home smelling like @#$%.

I don't smoke....but I'm all for personal property rights. The bar owner should be able to allow whatever he/she wants. Don't like a smoky bar? Don't go there. There are plenty of non-smoking bars around.

Denny

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
since the Feds think cannabis is illegal

It Is!.... It is only legal under state law.

I think theroot of the problem is that the federal govt. thinks it can over rule state law. Our system of govt. was not set up like that originally. The intention of the founders was that the states would have the ultimate say in what the laws were for its citizens. But as we all know the feds have basically reversed the original intent of the founders and think they can override laws passed by each individual state. I guess as long as the states and the citizens let them than they will continue to trample on the states right to make their own laws. This is one of many reasons that there is a resurgence in the State Sovereignty Movement.

jeremy05

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:
I'm pretty anti smoking in general, weed or the regular. I really don't care what people do in their own time, its just when it affects me. I hate going to bars and coming home smelling like @#$%.

I don't smoke....but I'm all for personal property rights. The bar owner should be able to allow whatever he/she wants. Don't like a smoky bar? Don't go there. There are plenty of non-smoking bars around.
agreed

CoonDog

imported post

Denny, I couldn't agree more. You are probably aware that much of this over-stepping was performed by the misuse of the Commerce Clause. There is no federal jurisdiction in my home so why would federal laws apply? And WTF are the MSP doing enforcing federal laws anyway?

KBCraig

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
I'm pretty anti smoking in general, weed or the regular. I really don't care what people do in their own time, its just when it affects me.
Then you should be adamantly opposed to Prohibition, because it drastically affects your paycheck.