• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification of carrying while on public school property

classic747guy

imported post

I live in Erie, Pennsylvania and have recently aquired my LTCF permit. I spend a great deal of time attending sporting funtions at mychildrens public school.I wanted to verify before I carry there that I am indeedcovered to carrybecause of my state's requirement for a backround check prior to issuing my LTCF. As I understand it from my reading this is one of the exceptions to the rule that would allow me to legally carry while on school property.I would like to ask those of you who have been dealing with this issue for years to weigh in with your knowledgeand experience of the issue. Thank you!

Randall

classic747guy

imported post

Thanks for your reply. I was reading this article and it stated "
THE "GUN OWNER REGISTRATION EXEMPTION:" The "gun free zones" law exempts CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) holders who live in a state that requires a background check before the issuing of a permit. (This means that CCW holders that live in states like Alabama are not exempted under this provision because background checks are not mandated by state law.) What this so-called exemption does is force a citizen to register with the authorities as a gun owner before he can carry a loaded self-defense weapon in his or her car."

This lead to some of my confussion on the issue.

By the way, isn't another lawful purpose defined by the second amendment, and further backed up by the fact thatI have a legally registeredgun with the state. Maybe I'm just a little simple minded when it comes to this wording. My concern is that just because you are at a school function does not mean that there won't be the presence of criminals seeking to harm others with a gun. Case and point my daughter who cheerleads was performing at halftime during a basketball game last year. Out of nowhere gun shots went off in the stands and an innocent minor was shot. Later, she was taken to the hospital and found to be recovering from the gunshot. The young man whofired the gun was not a minor, but was fairly young and had friendships with individuals at the school. The police finally caught up to him a little less than a week later as I recall, but in another state.My point is that my daughter was cheering at an away game and was terrified to say the least when the gunshots rang out and everyone began running. If people had been in the stands open carrying this may have been enough to make this punk think twice about his actions. This is one reason among many that I will begin to carry a gun at all times (when legal under the law) with me!

Thanks,

Randall

classic747guy

imported post

If you are not allowed to carry a firearm within 1000' of a school, then does this prohibit you from being able to legally pass by a school while traveling in your vehicle and carrying your firearm?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

classic747guy wrote:
If you are not allowed to carry a firearm within 1000' of a school, then does this prohibit you from being able to legally pass by a school while traveling in your vehicle and carrying your firearm?
Again I suggest logging on to http://www.pafoa.org/
Different state have different laws.

Did you not at least look at the Pa. pamphlet referred to above?
http://paopencarry.org/pa-open-carry-information

We don't mind answering questions, but would rather teach people to learn for themselves. No insult intended.

Read, learn and be better informed.

Yata hey

classic747guy

imported post

No offense taken! I have already read prior to my posting, everything on both links and they do not clarify what I just asked. They do state however that a weapon under the provision of lawful purpose if used for self defense would appear to be a defendable position.But that situation itself has not been tested in court yet is my understanding.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

classic747guy wrote:
No offense taken! I have already read prior to my posting, everything on both links and they do not clarify what I just asked. They do state however that a weapon under the provision of lawful purpose if used for self defense would appear to be a defendable position.But that situation itself has not been tested in court yet is my understanding.
You have a Pa. LTCF. You are therefore excempt from the 1000' rule by Pa. law as I understand it.

Yata hey