Thread: Carrying while on the job? Going through weigh stations?

Post imported post

Quick question folks! My google-fu brought me nothing. Im starting a new job tomorrow and it will keep me out of town 3 or so days per week. I'll be driving a truck that does not require a CDL or any special endorsements. My employer has no policy against carrying, but I didnt know about going through weigh stations. I would be keeping my CZ in my travel bag until I get to the hotel for the night. First time using a weigh station too. Would I be legal? Do weigh stations have scanners of some sort that would spot it? I really dont want to go without it because most hotel stays will be between Yakima and Sunnyside. Not my favorite places. Thanks folks!

Banned

Post imported post

its not illegal. but just because your employers doesnt have anything about it doesnt mean they wont fire you for it.

Post imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
    its not illegal. but just because your employers doesnt have anything about it doesnt mean they wont fire you for it.
    Dude you're a real downer some times.

OP: IANAL & all other disclaimers first, I would say keep it concealed, on your person or otherwise. I'm not a trucker but I don't think they generally frisk you or search your belongings at weight stations, and I'd imagine the big rig truckers carry a helluvalot more than we realize. Yeah, even without a policy your employer could possibly fire you for carrying, but unless you're under contract your employer can fire you for any reason (or lack thereof) they wish. If you're worried about your safety I'd say it's better to risk being unemployed & alive than dead & working.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

Well since you're talking about having a pistol in the cab of your truck, I assume that you've either got your CPL (in which case you can carry loaded) or it's unloaded following this code:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

I can't seem to find an RCW code speaking to transportation of pistols in vehicles other than the code above. Does anybody know where to locate it or is the one above the only thing speaking to that?

About weigh stations, I know extremely little, but in WA state I assume they would be staffed by State Troopers, and as such would follow state laws. Since it's not a school, any prohibition against carrying in a weigh station would need to exist here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Regarding whether they are xraying your truck, I don't believe so. My understanding is that they have infrared cameras looking at your truck to see if your brakes are working correctly or not, but I don't think more than that. So just don't shoot your gun right before you go through or it will be visible on infrared (joke). But that's based on my extremely limited knowledge on weigh stations from a History channel episode.

Good luck.

Post imported post

Nothing special at "chicken coops" just the RCWs. If your pistol is loaded you must have a CPL. Unless you're doing something obviously wrong, all they care about is weight; per axle or tandem and gross. Be under what you're licensed for and have axles for. Sometimes the truck inspectors are there but you're just as likely to encounter them on the highway. I sure all these cops at the coop are aware that most drivers carry something in the cab that goes bang.

MD

PS Look at RCW 9.41.050 for exceptions to pistols loaded in vehicles being illegal.

Post imported post

Magister wrote:
    Quick question folks! My google-fu brought me nothing. Im starting a new job tomorrow and it will keep me out of town 3 or so days per week. I'll be driving a truck that does not require a CDL or any special endorsements. My employer has no policy against carrying, but I didnt know about going through weigh stations. I would be keeping my CZ in my travel bag until I get to the hotel for the night. First time using a weigh station too. Would I be legal? Do weigh stations have scanners of some sort that would spot it? I really dont want to go without it because most hotel stays will be between Yakima and Sunnyside. Not my favorite places. Thanks folks!
    If you're really worried about it I would suggest talking to your boss in depth about it. Washington is an "at will" employment state (is that the right term?) Basically it means that you can quit and your boss can fire you at any time (assuming you didn't fill out any sort of employment contract.)

If you're following the laws I doubt the weigh stations are going to give you crap. If you have your CPL and are worried about being harassed, just stick it somewhere where it's unseen and do your business.

And yeah, I'd bet my paycheck half of the truckers out there pack a firearm or at least a billy club.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

Hi Magister. I have been through more weigh stations than I can count always packing a pistol, Never had a problem with the officers running the stations. Don't worry you are not breaking any laws that I have ever head of. I am assuming you do have a CPL. In which case travel safe and remeber to keep the shiny side of the truck up.

Dan10mmman

Post imported post

and more than likely would fall under state preemption anyway.
    Probably not, as thepreemption RCW apllies only to Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities, as specifically listed.

The State preempting itself is an absurd legal concept.

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies folks! I do indeed have a CPL. Luckily no inspections on my first run. Justa small non-CDL truck but I would like to get a CDL B for either a propane truck or maybe get into UPS/Fedex. Id be keeping my CZ in a backpack while im loading at farms. The job did say they want you to carry something. They just left it at that. My boss was fine with it too. Big thanks!