• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 year old open carry

HD_darla

imported post

Hey i'm a little confused and have tried looking at the maps but it seems vauge for Ohio, i am 18 so i can not get CC yet, so i'm going to open carry but the way it seems is that i cant transport my gun unless its in the trunk of my car (which i have a truck) and i was hoping some one could clear up what i can do to open carry without breaking the law inside my truck

Thanks!

BTW sorry its not really in the right place i'm a rook what can i say lol

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

**Disclaimer: 1)I am not a lawyer; 2)I'm in Texas, not Ohio...***

As for 'transport' in a pickup (not having a trunk) I believe the 'trunk' requirement is actually defined as 'not accessible to the driver (and in many cases passengers as well) and (in many cases) that the gun and ammo be in separate (sometimes 'locked') compartments...
Here is my 'pickup' solution: Gun in (locked) case behind the rearmost seat and ammo in either the tool box or glove box or in a separate (locked) box also behind the seat. (Ammo boxes can be easily modified to accept a 'lock' and fit well behind the seat of most pickups!)

Your mileage may vary; this is just my $.02; you get what you pay for....

HD_darla

imported post

well crap that sucks ohio laws seem to combat themselves thanks so much for the help guess i'm waiting till i'm 21 to OC or CC lol

HD_darla

imported post

well i am anything but laughing about it i just know i can complain on here all i want and at the end of the day i still cant defend myself legally around town which is stupid in my opinion i think i have just as much right to defend my self as some one who is 30

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HD_darla wrote:
alrighty thanks so much i will keep checkin it

Based on your comments here and in the the other thread you started on the same subject, I don't see much wrong with your having to wait 'til you're21...

You don't sound very prepared.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HD_darla wrote:
well i am anything but laughing about it i just know i can complain on here all i want and at the end of the day i still cant defend myself legally around town which is stupid in my opinion i think i have just as much right to defend my self as some one who is 30
Old enough to vote. Old enough to join the military. Old enough to defend yourself, absolutely, I agree. You could get married. I am not sure if there is an exception in Ohio for emancipation by way of marriage. Or join the military and "buy" a gun at your new duty location, which, in reality, could be the gun you obviously already have.

NLT, if HD were to join the military and "buy" a gun, but "which, in reality, could be the gun" he already has", how would that work? He can't really "sell" the gun he has to himself.

Would HD simply lie and say he "bought" the gun at his duty station? Would that be OK with the provisions of 2923.21 and 2923.211?

Please clarify your advice on the legalities you cited and the suggestion you made.

HD_darla

imported post

well to Hank i say, how is one supposed to become prepared with out first asking a question? Sorry i didn't scope around the internet for 40 hours trying to figure out what sites were trustworthy and what sites were not and decided to have trust in my fellow Americans to at least get me started down the right path. obviously were all from different places with different opinions and i'm not taking any ones word for gold but i am hoping some body could point me in the right train of thought to figure this out such as NavyLT did. Further more MR. Hank, is this not a cause you believe in? do you not support CC and OC? in my mind i would want to promote this right to carry by being helpful leading people to answers rather than shutting them down with a crass behavior :)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HD_darla wrote:
Old enough to vote. Old enough to join the military. Old enough to defend yourself, absolutely, I agree. You could get married. I am not sure if there is an exception in Ohio for emancipation by way of marriage. Or join the military and "buy" a gun at your new duty location, which, in reality, could be the gun you obviously already have.

NLT, if HD were to join the military and "buy" a gun, but "which, in reality, could be the gun" he already has", how would that work? He can't really "sell" the gun he has to himself.

Would HD simply lie and say he "bought" the gun at his duty station? Would that be OK with the provisions of 2923.21 and 2923.211?

Please clarify your advice on the legalities you cited and the suggestion you made.
Sell it to someone for $1 and buy it back for $2 in a private, face to face sale once residency is established where the transaction would be legal.

So, uhm, the intent of HD and the other buying/reselling party would be to complete a transaction that is simply and primarily aimed at establishing a recorded sale of a "other state" gun to HD, so he could take it back to Ohio?

And the seller/buyer (HD) would transport the gun from Ohio to another state, then take it back to Ohio after the transaction you suggest ($1 sell, $2 buy)?

Are you saying that such a transaction would comply with 2923.21 and 2923.211?

Would there be any federal law applicability in the transaction you are suggesting, NLT?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HD_darla wrote:
well to Hank i say, how is one supposed to become prepared with out first asking a question? Sorry i didn't scope around the internet for 40 hours trying to figure out what sites were trustworthy and what sites were not and decided to have trust in my fellow Americans to at least get me started down the right path. obviously were all from different places with different opinions and i'm not taking any ones word for gold but i am hoping some body could point me in the right train of thought to figure this out such as NavyLT did. Further more MR. Hank, is this not a cause you believe in? do you not support CC and OC? in my mind i would want to promote this right to carry by being helpful leading people to answers rather than shutting them down with a crass behavior :)

How much experience have you had shooting a gun?

What have you shot? How much?

HD_darla

imported post

Hank i'm sorry if i got a little riled up i just wanted to find some answers and direction and i'm an avid hunter i shoot alot and as redneck as it may be the front windsheild of my truck says "Navy HD" cause my trucks an HD and you can figure out the Navy part lol

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HD_darla wrote:
Hank i'm sorry if i got a little riled up i just wanted to find some answers and direction and i'm an avid hunter i shoot alot and as redneck as it may be the front windsheild of my truck says "Navy HD" cause my trucks an HD and you can figure out the Navy part lol

S'OK, burutha.

What kind of handgun ya got?