• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 year old open carry

HD_darla

imported post

Hey i'm an 18 year old and can not get CC so i'm considering OC but i am confused, am i supposed to lock my gun in my imaginary trunk (i drive a truck) then get out unlock my gun put it in my holster and then walk around? the transportation of OC seems a little dumb to me but i'm really hoping some one can clear it up for me. And do i need to register my gun? can i even do that at 18 or could i carry my dads gun? To be more specific i'm in Ohio (obviously) but i live in Butler county

Thanks for any and all help i really appreciate it!

Come on! i'm sincerely looking for help here!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HD take heart, I'll give you some info here in a bit when I get the opportunity. I noticed your post over at Ohioans for Concealed Carry and thought I'd post here too.

HD_darla

imported post

ha well i'm tryin to figure something out but nothing is looking to promising for an 18 year old in Ohio :cuss:

FiremanJoe

imported post

Just be cautious and keep a voice recorder with you , a 18 yo carrying a gun is bound if not almost certain to get a once or twice over by a po po and or a call from a john q public, expect a confrontation, if you do get stop remember yes sir no sir polite. They will try to intimidate you it;s there job to be bad bulllies. I would not dress down, look like a responsible Gun Owner, no sagging jeans or camo's, that would definitely get you harassed faster. Try to look professional if your going to OC in Butler another regular poster has had a bad experience when he had a traffic stop..... I have a few LEO friends in the tri-state and one common thread is they are seeing a increase in teens with guns so they are being more cautious and are alarmed when they see a teen with a gun.

I oc in in Butler co and Hamilton county a good deal....but also have my chl so i can cover up when looks like needed....

Seems the mindset hey it's ok to carry a gun but cover it up...

But your under 21 so you can only OC but remember if you get in your vehicle then you must unload and separate ammo in glovebox an gun in trunk even though you drive a truck then you should get one of these type containers, I have a set casue I drive trucks too. Good luck

http://www.aacfi.com/products/secureit.php

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

To the OP: if you open carry a handgun in Ohio, you'll be putting whoever supplied you with the handgun in jeopardy of a fifth-degree felony (violation of 2923.21).

If you actually purchase a handgun (from anyone, anywhere), you're open to a 2nd-degree misdemeanor charge under 2923.211.

I'm not sure why nobody wants to address that issue here, but vehicle carry should be the least of your concerns.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I am pretty sure the exact phrase in the ORC states. "No direction as to where ammo is stored" What your refering to is the federal statue for transportation in America.