• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling to VA, need advice

mortimer

imported post

Hello all OC'ers,

I'll be travelling to VA soon for my sister's wedding and have some questions on legal carry within VA.

This will be a short fly out, fly back kindof thing. May stay an extra day or two and do some sightseeing in D.C. where I will of course leave my firearm locked in my motel room or rental car according to whatever D.C. law is. Yes, I'm aware of all the TSA guidelines for transporting a firearm and will of course follow them to a T.

A few questions for you all, and I appreciate your time in reading this:

First and foremost, being from out-of-state, can I OC at all?

I only own IWB holsters since I'm forced to CC most of the time in KS. If I wear my gun IWB, but exposed (shirt tucked in, gun clearly visible) am I good to go?

What places are off-limits? Dinner and reception will be at a restaurant called 2941 at 2941 Fairview Park Drive in Falls Church, VA. Seems like a fancy place. Our hotel is a Marriott just down the road, don't have the address on that.

Any other "gotchas" I need to worry about while in VA?

Thanks everyone for your input!

*EDIT*

I should also mention -- after the reception the plan is to go to a bar and drink/play pool/whatever. As I understand it open carry is legal in a bar, presuming of course I do not drink?

usaf0906

imported post

What you are refering to is actually called the "virginia tuck" where you would use a IWB, but leave the exposed part of the firearm visible. Yes, this is legal as OC.

Yes, you can OC even though you are from out-of-state.

as far as resurants/bars/clubs etc, you have to open carry in these locations. As with all private property, they can ask that you leave it in the car, or ask you to leave.

You can drink (just not be drunk)and open carry, but I dont think anyone on here would suggest it. I would also be willing to bet that the bar wont be too OC friendly.

Hope this information helps

**edit for spelling**

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Do not even consider taking your gun into DC, even if your plan is to leave it in your rental car. Bad move.

As for Virginia and OC, stay away from schools, any federal property, court houses, and parks. You may OC pretty much any place in the state but as was mentioned by cbackous, it is the business' discretion whether or not to allow this in their business.

There are no bars in Virginia. Yes I know this sounds confusing, but it's true. All "bars" are actually areas within eating establishments where for all intents and purposes, you may as well think of it as a bar. In such places, you must OC if you are going to go armed there. And please refrain from consuming alcohol if you do OC since that could send a negative message.

I know the area where you'll be having worked there once (CSC) and have been to that Marriott for a work get together. Fairview is nice, but the route 50 run through Fairfax and into Arlington is the pits.

Enjoy.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Do not even consider taking your gun into DC, even if your plan is to leave it in your rental car. Bad move.
Quoted large because this is really, really important. Don't take so much as a round of .22LR into the district. The airports are located in Virginia, so you are OK flying in. If you need to go into DC, leave your gear in VA with someone you trust. I wouldn't leave a firearm in an unattended hotel room in any event.

mortimer

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Quoted large because this is really, really important. Don't take so much as a round of .22LR into the district. The airports are located in Virginia, so you are OK flying in. If you need to go into DC, leave your gear in VA with someone you trust. I wouldn't leave a firearm in an unattended hotel room in any event.
Really? I haven't checked the laws yet (was planning to before my trip) but I assumed that D.C. has some special rules for transporting firearms in a vehicle like most other states do (in a locked container, unloaded, in the trunk, whatever). Is this not the case? I can't even transport in D.C.?

vt357

imported post

mortimer wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Really? I haven't checked the laws yet (was planning to before my trip) but I assumed that D.C. has some special rules for transporting firearms in a vehicle like most other states do (in a locked container, unloaded, in the trunk, whatever). Is this not the case? I can't even transport in D.C.?
IANAL but generally speaking those transporting rules in anti-gun states only apply if you are going to a place where you can legally have your gun like a gunsmith, the shooting range, etc. or if you are just traveling through and not stopping. In theory it should be legal under federal law for you to drive through DC with a locked up gun if you don't stop inside the city limits, but in practice it'll get you arrested. If you get caught inside the city with it for any reason your brief trip may become an extended stay with free room and board plus a new jumpsuit.

If you still want to go to DC, park your car with your gun locked up at a train station in VA and take the train into the city.

NoVA York

imported post

IANL...

You can transport through (being the key word) the District, so long as you can legally carry in the state of your origination and state of your final destination.

If you were to transport through the District (not the wisest choice) then DO NOT STOP for anything.

mortimer

imported post

Fair enough. No guns whatsoever in the District. Got it, and thanks for clarifying!

I definitely won't be consuming any alcoholic beverages while open carrying, whether it's legal or not. Bad form IMO. I'll have to make that decision I guess when the time comes to go "hit the bars" (as my sister put it) after the wedding.

Not sure where we're going for the drinking part but knowing my sis it'll be someplace loud and full of single twenty-somethings. I'm too old for this!

architect

imported post

mortimer wrote:
Dinner and reception will be at a restaurant called 2941 at 2941 Fairview Park Drive in Falls Church, VA. Seems like a fancy place. Our hotel is a Marriott just down the road, don't have the address on that.

I live about a mile from these venues.

Your hotel is probably the Fairview Park Marriot. I have OC'd in the bar there without incident a couple of times (but I actually don't think anyone "in charge" noticed).

2941 is an excellent restaurant, somewhat on the expensive side for a place in the 'burbs, think $150-200/person for dinner if you get a decent bottle of wine, you can pay much more if you go wild. I don't know their policy on OC. It is pretty traditional, most guys would be uncomfortable to not be in coat and tie. It is awkward at best to OC in a suit so I suspect it comes up rarely.

If you go into DC leave your piece and ammo in the hotel safe...or you could drop them off at my place...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NoVA York wrote:
IANL...

You can transport through (being the key word) the District, so long as you can legally carry in the state of your origination and state of your final destination.

If you were to transport through the District (not the wisest choice) then DO NOT STOP for anything.
You can stop for things which would be considered "normal" as part of a trip to your destination. Examples would be for food and fuel. But don't linger around and sight see or spend a few nights with friends who may happen to live in DC.

Also, it's not legally carry, but rather legally own in the origin and destination states.

NoVA York

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Also, it's not legally carry, but rather legally own in the origin and destination states.

Thanks SB. I stand corrected.

When crafting my reply, I was going to state that you could stop to refill the gasoline tank. But in a town like the District of Crime, I would avoid it.

mortimer

imported post

architect wrote:
mortimer wrote:
Dinner and reception will be at a restaurant called 2941 at 2941 Fairview Park Drive in Falls Church, VA. Seems like a fancy place. Our hotel is a Marriott just down the road, don't have the address on that.

I live about a mile from these venues.

Your hotel is probably the Fairview Park Marriot. I have OC'd in the bar there without incident a couple of times (but I actually don't think anyone "in charge" noticed).

2941 is an excellent restaurant, somewhat on the expensive side for a place in the 'burbs, think $150-200/person for dinner if you get a decent bottle of wine, you can pay much more if you go wild. I don't know their policy on OC. It is pretty traditional, most guys would be uncomfortable to not be in coat and tie. It is awkward at best to OC in a suit so I suspect it comes up rarely.

If you go into DC leave your piece and ammo in the hotel safe...or you could drop them off at my place...

Yes, it is the Fairview Park Marriot. Thanks for the advice at the hotel, good to know at least I'm probably good there.

Holy hell, $150/$200 per PERSON? Sure glad I'm not paying!!

Man we have it easy on stuff like that here in the Midwest . . . every time I travel to the east or west coast I'm always completely blown away by the price of everything. The only places around here that you'd spend $200 on dinner would probably include a few lap dances . . .

Speaking of wearing a suitcoat, how exactly does that work with open carry? How much of the firearm has to be visible to be considered "unconcealed?"

architect

imported post

mortimer wrote:
Holy hell, $150/$200 per PERSON? Sure glad I'm not paying!!

Man we have it easy on stuff like that here in the Midwest . . . every time I travel to the east or west coast I'm always completely blown away by the price of everything. The only places around here that you'd spend $200 on dinner would probably include a few lap dances . . .

Speaking of wearing a suitcoat, how exactly does that work with open carry? How much of the firearm has to be visible to be considered "unconcealed?"
I'm sure you're getting a "deal" for a large party and fixed menu. Went there with my wife for my birthday a couple of years ago, spent much more than that, it was good for a really expensive dump the next AM! They recently got a new chef who has a little bit less of a reputation, maybe the fancy factor and prices are down a little. The previous chef got a bunch of bad press when he put lion on the menu. The owner bakes the breads, which are spectacular.

If you stay around a few days try El Tio on Lee Highway about a mile from your hotel. Inexpensive great authentic Mexican, and the TexMex is much better than average too. I've only OC'd there once, but it was a non-event. You might prefer to pass on carrying to enjoy their tasty Margaritas (half price 4-7 weekdays). And, no, I have no business relationship with the restaurant.

"Open to common observation" is the test, covered by a suit jacket does not comply. I don't know of a way to do it without looking dorky or tacticool (but I repeat myself).

MSC 45ACP

imported post

architect wrote:
"Open to common observation" is the test, covered by a suit jacket does not comply. I don't know of a way to do it without looking dorky or tacticool (but I repeat myself).

Dunno if you want to spend the $, but if you're set on carrying at this shindig, you could probably pick up a cross-draw rig.

If you do, you'd better practice, practice, practice with it!!! I'm not into cross-draw myself because I have a rather substantial girth that prevents me from carrying anything on my belt in the front. Ask around on here for those that use cross-draw. I remember seeing a few folks at the Hampton Roads dinners that carry them. I seem to recall they carry small revolvers in those rigs.

Semper Paratus!